The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF Attire rules...

So I was looking up the official rules for USEF attire because you hear so many different opinions on what is/isn't allowed and I found this:

Hunter Seat Equitation
    EQ109 Appointments
    1. Personal. Exhibitors and judges should bear in mind that at all times entries are being judged on ability rather than on personal attire. Riders should wear coats of any tweed or Melton for hunting (conservative wash jackets in season), breeches or jodphurs and boots. Conservative colored protective headgear with no additional adornments in accordance with GR801.3 is mandatory. While competing in a jumping class, if a rider’s chin strap becomes unfastened, the rider may stop, re-fasten the chin strap and continue his/her round without penalty or elimination. A judge may, but is not required, to stop a rider and ask them to refasten a chin strap which has become unfastened, again without penalty to the rider. Spurs, crops or bats are optional. Judges may penalize contestants who do not conform. When management permits Hunter or Hunter Seat Equitation riders to ride without jackets, riders must wear traditional, short, or long-sleeved riding shirts with chokers or ties. Polo shirts and chaps are not permitted except in unjudged warm-up classes. Management or Judge may eliminate an exhibitor who is inappropriately attired.

There is no mention of chokers, white or otherwise, besides when jackets are waived. And does this also go for hunter classes, because the only mention of hunter entire (that wasn't specific for other disciplines like saddleseat) is the following. I know formal attire is in reference to classes like the derbies.

HU127 Attire.
    1. Formal Attire. Riders are required to wear scarlet or dark coats; white shirts with white stock; white, buff or canary breeches and protective headgear. See GR801.2. While competing in a jumping class, if a rider’s chin strap becomes unfastened, the rider may stop, re-fasten the chin strap and continue his/her round without penalty or elimination. A judge may, but is not required, to stop a rider and ask them to refasten a chin strap which has become unfastened, again without penalty to the rider. Members of the Armed Services or the Police may wear the Service Dress Uniform.

2. Inappropriate attire. When management permits Hunter or Hunter Seat Equitation riders to ride without jackets, riders must wear traditional, short, or longsleeved riding shirts with chokers or ties. Polo shirts and chaps are not permitted except in unjudged warm-up classes. Management or Judge may eliminate an exhibitor who is inappropriately attired.

Can anyone shed on light on where these other "rules" came from, or is there a section I'm missing?
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

I guess I don't see your question?

Like Hunter tack, nothing is explicitly prohibited—just considered unconventional.

Also not sure what your question is?

I think the OP is saying they can't find general rules about attire for hunters. There are rules in the eq section, but the only rules they can find in the hunter section are for formal attire or ladies side saddle.

Sounds like s/he was looking for official rules on non-formal attire for hunter classes.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Haha sorry I guess I had the question in my head and never spelled it out... The question is are these just what people have decided is appropriate or in style or are there rules elsewhere? There's nothing that even states either discipline has to wear a choker/wrap collar except under hunt seat equ when a jacket is waived...let alone what color one has to be (besides under the hunter "formal attire").

Yes, in hunter and eq classes, whether you're wearing a coat or not, you should also be wearing a traditional "ratcatcher" with separate choker... or a "snap collar" shirt which incorporates the choker (so you don't have to keep track of them any more).
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh I know what you "should" do -- I've been showing for nearly two decades. I work for a tack store that specializes in apparel and randomly I decided to just look up what the written rule was and maybe print something out for people to look at when they want to know what's allowed. I've always believed one HAD to wear a choker/wrap collar...I never knew it wasn't officially in the rules. Not sure if they're just written too vaguely or written elsewhere?

So yeah, just wondering

Anything that isn't written down specifically in the rule book is alllllllllllllllll fashion trends!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

1 members found this post helpful.

I once saw a judge disqualify an eq. rider for not having her collar buttoned- since this doesn't actually appear to be in the rules, was the judge wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper221 View Post
    I once saw a judge disqualify an eq. rider for not having her collar buttoned- since this doesn't actually appear to be in the rules, was the judge wrong?
    "Management or Judge may eliminate an exhibitor who is inappropriately attired."

Yes, Tha Ridge, but back to my point...how can they say a rider is "inappropriately attired" when it's not actually a rule.

2 members found this post helpful.

Inappropriate attire would be polo shirts or collarless shirts, 1/2 chaps or full chaps in hunter classes - though some shows will allow smooth grain 1/2 chaps. And maybe in a eq class a judge would eliminate a rider for no choker, if I were a judge I think I'd let it pass in a hunter class.

so does this mean my lighter grey coat is not ok anymore?

uh oh...

I've always thought I'd rather wear a tie than a ratcatcher.

1 members found this post helpful.

There are USEF rules, your trainer's rules, and fashion trends.

I used to work for a high end tack shop and what I always told show riders was that they could wear whatever they liked as long as they could guarantee they could get 8 perfect fences and all their changes. Until they could make that guarantee, then they should wear what their trainer prefers within reason. I do not care for trainers who insist their students buy only certain brands. It is over controlling and often those brands are not the most flattering on all students.

As far as fashion trends go, it is wise to remember my words above. Certain BNR can wear whatever they want and they will win because they're that good. Also, when you're a Jr riding for an owner, I think you don't mess up a good thing by using bling on your boots, hats, jackets if the owner is more conservative.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I actually didn't know if a rider's chin strap came unfastened that you could stop and fix it without penalty. My next invention: a chin-strap that looks like it is unfastened so that if my horse misbehaves or I mess up, I can stop and "refasten" it, regroup, and continue on.
    Last edited by Horseymama; May. 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: add something
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.