The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should an amateur do a GM clinic?

I apologize if this has been addressed...couldn't find it via the search function.

GM will be doing a clinic in my area in September. I'd like to ride with him, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea since I do the Amateur Adult Hunters or Low AO hunters (if I'm feeling brave).

Does George typically run 3' sessions at his clinics? Anyone participated in them? Does he mostly focus on jumpers, even at lower fence heights?
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Most clinic attendees are Ammies, especially in the 4' and below sections. Check with the organizer for section heights but he goes all the way down to 2'6" these days.

The exercises presented apply equally to Hunters and/or Jumpers. Same skill set and he is working on the rider, not trying to produce the perfect Hunter jump. A well schooled over fences horse can do related and unrelated lines and a variety of fences regardless of their division...and a rider who wants to be effective in either needs to learn to do them too.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would love to do a GM clinic and I'm an AA or low AO rider too. Chicago isn't that far.... OP, can you provide the hosting barn's contact info? thanks
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

ElementFarm - I saw an ad in the USHJA email newsletter. Diane Carney is hosting. Here's a link:

http://www.telluridefarm.com/schedule.html

Just wondering if the clinic would be appropriate for someone like me...middle-aged, a little chubby, rides 3x a week at most, and doesn't jump high. I've ridden with several BNTs, and enjoyed most all of them. But George...he's, well, he's GEORGE!

Maybe I can use George as my inspiration to lose ten pounds!

DO IT! I'm an ammy all the way, and had a fabulous time in the one-day section of his clinic last year when he came to Ontario. I was by no means the best rider in my group, but both my horse and I learned a ton, and came away with so much to work on at home.

I audited 2 of 3 days of GM's clinic in Ontario last year, and almost every single rider was an amateur. He ran groups from ponies up to 3'6 hunters, and a couple jumper groups (I believe it was up to 1.20m).

I've got a load of notes that I took at the clinic that I posted online - there was a thread last year that somebody linked my notes to. I'll look for them and repost - maybe it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Found the link (it's on a different BB, but you can access it without registering): http://www.themuckbucket.com/showthr...?daysprune=365
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Do it! I'm an amateur through and through and just finished a very informative clinic with him that completely changed the way that I ride (for the better). If you're willing to listen, learn and pay attention, he is a miracle worker. He doesn't mind how much natural ability you have (or don't have) - he just wants to see people willing to give it their all.

I just posted a thread with my writeup on it, but here it is again if you'd like to read it: http://kadyhobbins.com/2013/05/22/ad...s-with-george/

You will be just fine. If you try hard, he isn't tough. He's only tough when he feels you aren't trying.

My daughter did a clinic with him in VA last year. They offered a 2'6" section, so she went with her medium pony and he loved them both. There were plenty of things she didn't know how to do yet, like shoulder in, but he just asked her to try to the best of her ability, and he was very happy when she caught on.

She got yelled at once, for forgetting to halt, and she trotted by and told me, "Mom, he's not nearly as mean as you are." Which is true. LOL.

Here's a little video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORqQ...MAF0w&index=12

Thanks, everyone!

Goodlife, I read (and really enjoyed) your blog. You may be an amateur, but you are in a different class from me!!!!! I assure you George will not compliment me on my perfect leg position.

Solarflare - thanks for the link. I'll check it out now.

I've since learned the clinic is a 'natural obstacle' clinic - which sounds both fun and scary. I'll have my trainer check with Diane and if they think I can do it, I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by SolarFlare View Post
    I audited 2 of 3 days of GM's clinic in Ontario last year, and almost every single rider was an amateur. He ran groups from ponies up to 3'6 hunters, and a couple jumper groups (I believe it was up to 1.20m).

I've got a load of notes that I took at the clinic that I posted online - there was a thread last year that somebody linked my notes to. I'll look for them and repost - maybe it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Found the link (it's on a different BB, but you can access it without registering): http://www.themuckbucket.com/showthr...?daysprune=365
    Wow! What a fantastic write-up! Thanks for sharing. I've saved this to my favorites so I can work on some of these exercises over the summer.

Yes! Definitely!

My former employer (an ammie) rode with him a couple of years ago...and he's an EVENT rider!!!! It was great, and I think horse and rider gained a lot. His whole group was ammies, and GM was tough with them, but also funny and good natured. He called both my employer and the other male ammie rider (who was on the coolest appy EVERY that GM adored!) weekend warriors.

If I could afford to, I would be riding with him in a heart beat, especially now that I've got my show jumping brain screwed back in appropriately. DO IT.

Be prepared to listen closely and TRY hard. That's pretty much all he wants from his riders.

Just an FYI! Diane carneys clinic only goes as low as 3'6".
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Have an idea though...if OP does not feel comfortable at 3'6" (and, really, this would not be a good time to move up if she does not)? AUDIT. Make it a point.

Also, know OP has a trainer but Diane is a real gem, one of the very best at clarity and breaking down into easily understandable parts...and she is very visual trying to demonstrate what she means without being on a horse. It may be possible to arrange some sessions with her as sort of a pseudo clinic instead of riding with GM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Have an idea though...if OP does not feel comfortable at 3'6" (and, really, this would not be a good time to move up if she does not)? AUDIT. Make it a point.

Also, know OP has a trainer but Diane is a real gem, one of the very best at clarity and breaking down into easily understandable parts...and she is very visual trying to demonstrate what she means without being on a horse. It may be possible to arrange some sessions with her as sort of a pseudo clinic instead of riding with GM.
    I'm quite familiar with Diane and have cliniced with her a couple of times.

Disappointing about the 3'6 minimum, so I'll opt for auditing instead.

I would recommend auditing with GM before deciding to ride with him. you will still learn a lot but you can decide if his style meshes with you.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Since I groomed at the clinic, I got to audit for free. HOLY CRAP did I learn a lot. Every time I've got to spend time listening to GM (also got to see him coach the event team about 10 years ago), I've walked away with so much GOOD info. Auditing is highly worth it.

Ooooohhhhhh! Yaaaaaaaayyyyy! I'm so excited that he is coming to Chicago. I'm going to plan to audit! OP, maybe I will see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I would recommend auditing with GM before deciding to ride with him. you will still learn a lot but you can decide if his style meshes with you.
    Very good advice. I have nothing but respect for this amazing horseman. However I don't think I would want to do a clinic with him. I'm far too sensitive. But I feel that I learn a lot even reading other auditors notes and watching whatever videos I can get my hands on.

Talked to my trainer today and we decided its probably best to take a pass on participating in this natural obstacle clinic. I'll try to audit.

Ruby2shoes, I'm the same way. I'd LOVE to do it but honestly don't think I would be a good fit for actually riding with him. My current trainer and the trainer I had growing up can sometimes be harder on students than he is (or at least how I've seen him recently... Not like the 1970-80s George!), but I can take it a bit better from my trainers who I know, and who don't have the same celebrity factor (and thus intimidation power in my own mind!) as GM .
    I'm just happy enough to be auditing and really gain a lot from watching him. My trainer says auditing his clinics really renews her enthusiasm for teaching, so she wants to go to as many as she can. And she is usually pumped up and extra George-ish after a clinic.
    Last edited by bits619; May. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Auto correct
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)