The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best 'Technical' Show shirt?

I went to a tack store last weekend and found an Ariat Triumph Shirt - it was amazing but I couldn't justify dropping 100 bucks at the store when they're cheaper online.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this shirt or other technical shirts and wondering what your favorites are!

Well, most technical shirts are closer to $100. The show able ones anyways. I've tried or own nearly every "technical" shirt on Smartpak. Most of them really aren't the best for showing - at least on me, the collar doesn't come up enough and the zipper shows. My favorites for showing:
    Ece - not exactly technical, but I LOVE it during the winter.
    Tredsteps shirt - Dover - love it. It's priced lower, like $75 I think. This one is awesome.
    Essex talent yarn - I like this one too. I like the way the collar snaps. The venting is amazing.

For schooling, I love my Kerrits technical shirts and the EIS shirts. I have a ton of cheap technical shirts from smartpak that I think are in theory okay for showing but I have issues with the collar and zipper.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I'm glad you were able to find your size and fit at a brick and motor store, it's wonderful that they manage to scrap by and stay open so online shoppers can have the convience of trying on there paid for merchandise that sits on those shelves for your convience so you don't have to mess around with sending stuff back that doesn't fit or you don't like ... Please come again anytime you want to take advantage of the inventory without buying, Oh wait, next time they probably will have shut the doors and went out of business ,with a sign that says Sorry but we can no longer compete with online stores who have no money wrapped up in inventory, Thank you for your patronage .

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    I'm glad you were able to find your size and fit at a brick and motor store, it's wonderful that they manage to scrap by and stay open so online shoppers can have the convience of trying on there paid for merchandise that sits on those shelves for your convience so you don't have to mess around with sending stuff back that doesn't fit or you don't like ... Please come again anytime you want to take advantage of the inventory without buying, Oh wait, next time they probably will have shut the doors and went out of business ,with a sign that says Sorry but we can no longer compete with online stores who have no money wrapped up in inventory, Thank you for your patronage .
    I know this was directed at the OP, but just for good measure: in the last three months I have bought a Speed Air, an RJ soft shell coat, rain jacket, two fitted pads, a rain sheet, an EIS shirt, and a pair of Tredstep paddocks from my local tack shop. And I could have gotten the Speed Air cheaper online, but I didn't. I shop online and in my tack store.

2 members found this post helpful.

Are we talking coolmax show shirts to wear under coats? If so, $100 is pretty average... I personally detest the fabric and fit of the ariat ones, but I haven't tried one on in over four years. I've stuck strongly to my essex coolmax shirts and the have lasted forever, even the white ones. Occasionally there are good sales--I know I've gotten a chunk of mine from Farm House.

As to the whole trying things on at a store and not buying anything, I don't see anything wrong with that. I think I've done that with practically every equestrian equipment investment of mine over $100. And it was 50/50 as to whether I went to the tack store later to buy or bought online from another tack store. When there's over a $25+ difference in online pricing vs. what's in the local store beit due to a sale or what not, hard to say no. I don't blame the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    I'm glau you were able to find your size and fit at a brick and they manage to scrap by and stay open so online shoppers can have the convience of trying on there paid for merchandise that sits on those shelves for your convience so you don't have to mess around with sending stuff back that doesn't fit or you don't like ... Please come again anytime you want to take advantage of the inventory without buying, Oh wait, next time they probably will have shut the doors and went out of business ,with a sign that says Sorry but we can no longer compete with online stores who have no money wrapped up in inventory, Thank you for your patronage .
    Its store owners like you (because you seem pretty butt-hurt about it so i will assume you are one) who make me love shopping online! And the reason why I stopped shopping at the local place where I used to live. Take advantage of your inventory? What bs is that? How would I ever know what size I was without trying something on. How dare me go to the tack store and try something on! Fwiw they didny even have my size anyway.

Just so you know.. I drove 45 minutes to get there because nothing exists in buffalo, NY. I bought over 350$ worth of merchandise in that same trip so stop getting your panties in a twist because of a situation that had nothing to do with you.

Perhaps if the customer service and proces were on par with online shops ot wold be different. Thats not even taking the inventory into mind either. If the people working their had your attitude, they would not get my money. Ever.. but they would get bad reviews.

I don't want to hear how hard it is for "small stores" to survive.. Perhaps their busoness plans should evolve past the 1980s and store owners need to get woth the times.

Typed on a phone so sorry for typos.

5 members found this post helpful.

FITS Anna Powermesh...I know it's above your price range but it's such an amazing shirt!!

As for the cranky pants...as an employee of a tack store I know that if a brick and mortar knows what brands and styles their customers want -- and what proper customer service is -- it won't need to worry about losing out to online stores.
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I like the Ariat Triumph and also the new Talent yarn shirts. They are worth the $$.

I have been trying recently to patronize local tack shops over internet shopping, but honestly I've been disappointed in the customer service. Dover and Smartpak are hard to beat for the customer service. I've had two situations recently where local brick and mortar stores were less than helpful regarding defective merchandise. Some brick and mortar stores won't take returns AT ALL any more...I'm sure they must have good reason but I'd rather have the security of being able to return a purchase if necessary.

Well, I like the Ariat Triumph and also the new Talent yarn shirts. They are worth the $$.

I have been trying recently to patronize local tack shops over internet shopping, but honestly I've been disappointed in the customer service. Dover and Smartpak are hard to beat for the customer service. I've had two situations recently where local brick and mortar stores were less than helpful regarding defective merchandise. Some brick and mortar stores won't take returns AT ALL any more...I'm sure they must have good reason but I'd rather have the security of being able to return a purchase if necessary.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know this post wasn't about brick and mortar tack stores originally, but in defense of both brick & mortar stores and online shopping, our local tack store sells online and through it's store and trailer.

It seems to me that in this age of online shopping, a smart store owner/manager knows to take advantage of online shopping in order to survive, not fight it.

I buy many items from the local "brick and mortar" because I can see what I am getting and I want it now. Certain things I buy online due to the price advantage. There is no harm in going to the brick and mortar and saying I can get this for X$ online but I would prefer to purchase from you- can you match the price? Buy the way (ha ha) I need a technical long sleeve show shirt buy 6/2!!!!!

I usually shop online because most if not all B & M stores don't carry my size, typically an XS.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    I usually shop online because most if not all B & M stores don't carry my size, typically an XS.
    I'm in the same boat as you. Luckily, over the years, I've grown very very close with my local tack store owner and she knows my style - she usually gets one or two XS if I request it. The hardest is breeches - I'm a 24 (sometimes too big!) and I find this hard to find even online. Almost NOTHING fits me.

I love Éce show shirts. They've added some new styles.and being able to customize your colors is just the icing on the cake! They wash and wear well and I find them very flattering.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

That's my experience. I don't mind paying a few dollars more to go walk into the store and pick something up that I can feel in my hands first, but when I special order something from the store (that isn't really that special), it takes 2x as long to come in as it would from an online retailer, it isn't want I wanted in the first place AND the store only does returns for store credit - I begin to lose some enthusiasm.

1 members found this post helpful.

The very successful tack shop 10 minutes from me is honestly plain annoying. Ordered a speed air in a normal size 10 weeks ago because they didn't have one in stock. Still hasn't come in, and next time I'll just get it in three days from Smartpak.
    I don't go in just to try things on with the intention of buying them online, but I certainly don't go out of my way to patronize them when their customer service is so terrible.

But to keep this on topic... I love the Essex Talent Yarn shirts, especially that they're classic enough for the equitation without the annoying buttons all the way down!

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    The very successful tack shop 10 minutes from me is honestly plain annoying. Ordered a speed air in a normal size 10 weeks ago because they didn't have one in stock. Still hasn't come in, and next time I'll just get it in three days from Smartpak.
    I don't go in just to try things on with the intention of buying them online, but I certainly don't go out of my way to patronize them when their customer service is so terrible.
    This is my thing. I just bought a first lady from a tack shop that also has an online store and they were WONDERFUL in contacting me and making sure it got there okay and if I was happy with the product - I had gotten it in about 3 days. They also do a point system, so since the first lady is around 600, I got 60 bucks back to spend on something new. They ship fast and were great - if you ever are looking for a place that has some stuff, try Charlotte's Saddlery. The selection is a bit limited, but they're fantastic to deal with.

Online stores have their place; they usually buy in so much quantity from manufacturers they can offer a wider size/style/color range and better price than many B&M stores.

B&M stores frequently suffer from the inability to order in the size/color/style range because they just don't have the demand for the extremes. Also, many wholesalers demand orders over $XX before an order is placed, so your special order may not get ordered until they need to completely restock.

Customer Service (CS) can be good at both, or terrible, or worse - spotty. Start up online stores might bendover backwards to keep a new customer, while an online store that's doing poorly might suddenly fail in CS because they're failing and the associates are not allowed to disclose the situation to you.

By the same token, B&M stores may or may not make CS a priority. Many B&M stores that pride themselves on CS have their associate's feelings hurt when after spending time with a customer, pulling out box after box of boots or pairs of breeches, the customer leaves empty handed...often saying I'm going to order it online.

My opinion is that if you need anything, first try the local B&M that treats you right. If they have the size you need, buy it there. You can ask them to match the price, but even if you don't, remember that ordering online MIGHT get it to you quickly (but it might get lost), it might fit (if they sent the right size) and you might save sales tax (but that won't be for long).

If you have a good relationship with your tack shop, you're not really 'shopping' you're visiting friends who happen to have what you're looking for. If you order a lot from Smartpak or Dover, I suppose you might talk to the same person from time to time, but do they know your trainer's likes and dislikes? Do they ask after your barn cats and new puppy? Have they talked to your SO to be able to point out the things you liked, but didn't buy?

B&M stores that DON'T offer good CS take note: you need sales help that KNOWS the difference between a running and standing martingale, who can explain why you don't use polo wraps for standing wraps. Associates who aren't texting when the door opens. Who don't say, "Hi guys" when two well dressed women come in.

However to be fair, it is extremely hard to hire good tack store help these days. Young people do not share the same work ethic and have a very hard time being separated from their phones for hours at a time. Older women (let's be honest, they're all women) may not be able to stand all day (after all those years riding and competing) and employers hate seeing their employees sitting down. To their minds there is ALWAYS something that needs doing, even if no customers are in the store.

Someone mentioned that B&M stores need to adjust their business plans. Two of the BEST B&M stores I know, Horse Country Saddlery in Warrenton, VA and North Shore Saddlery, in East Norwich, NY have embraced online shopping offering all their merchandise through their online stores with their reknowned customer service. To me this is the best of both worlds.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

This actually an ironic thread, as I have just had a similar conversation with a slightly frustrated saddle shop owner. I saw a new helmet and tried it on. It was my size (I'm a 7 1/4 in every helmet). At first all that registered was the comfort. But after 30 seconds or so, I realized it didn't really fit, the shape was subtly wrong, and the 'bend over and shake your head' test proved it. When I said I was disappointed because it was so comfortable, she remarked:

"How can people buy helmets online??? Sure, they may know the make, model, size they have bought previously. I can remember 1 extremely popular make & model; we had 3 or 4 of the same size here in stock. Only 1 fit the customer's head; none of the others did. Do people realize how helmets should fit? Although, I will say, not many shops concern themselves with fitting helmets properly. Not many at all (we keep hearing about that.) --- Seems every shipment of helmets, same model, same size -- varies in sizing from previous shipments......
    We have spent HOURS (not very often, but those with SO much hair, especially if frizzy..) to fit helmets correctly and make them stable and secure....

Even tall boots can vary in sizing. 1 fits; others, exact same model, sizing, do not... All are hand-finished so there is always a slight difference in fit."

So I guess I should add to my post above if you're looking for helmets or boots, B&M would be the way to go if they are truly local. B&M stores that want to offer great customer service should learn how to fit helmets, and then do it!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

In response to OP's question. I bought this shirt for dd via farmhouse tack. Love the shirt but it does not wash up great. Fabric looks good and comes clean easily but it is fraying around the front snaps. I find that I am timing loose threads often. Also there is an odd gap at the base of the collar. Interested in trying the talent yarn shirts.