The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default DS wants a pony!

After 2 years of being totally content to play with his bull dozers and trucks while his big sis rode, my DS wants a pony. He is going to be 4 in a few weeks. He has ridden DD's large pony several times since we had her, but never showed much interest. The last few weeks, you say the word 'ride' and he just goes and grabs his helmet. He can't wait to get on when DD is done riding.

The catch??? He wants a little pony. That is white. With red spots. Named Stacey. Shouldn't be too hard!

I find it funny that he wants his pony to look like his favorite breed of cow, the Ayrshire. It might be easier to just get a fake tail and put it on a heifer!

I wasn't going to get him a small pony, since he is so big for his age, I figured we could make do with the large pony we have, but since #3 is due any day, I can justify getting something small now!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

2 members found this post helpful.

http://larapintahorsestud.weebly.com/for-sale.html

Second and third ones down...

And she's really cute:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1865490

Dreams do come true. You're welcome.

Funny you said that! My husband and I riase Ayrshires for beef... I told him I was going to break the older one to ride... Here's the outcome!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=68b5dc230a

Here's both our boys -
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=dbae3eb883

Thanks Snowflake! Definitely not going the mini route though!!

Bounceback, Love your boys! I saved two bull calves last summer to feed out as steers. I'm really curious as to how they are going to compare to everything else we have fed out. We have the largest herd of Ayrshires in CO, we milk about 12! DD has a really sweet cow that they do ride. Sweet Pepper Harry Fajita. I think my husband would agree that they make a better beef cow than dairy! we haven't had a lot of luck, but the original cows were coming from tie stalls or stanchions in all Ayrshire herds and they moved to free stalls with exercise lots competing with Holsteins in CO. I went to Nat'l Convention a couple years ago and the Ayrshire breeders are such great people.

What have you found to be the optimal age/weight to slaughter them at? Do you grass finish or corn finish? We have no pasture so our dinner gets a TMR like the milking pens

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    How about a POA then:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1858981

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1868122

Snowflake is being quite the enabler....

Rustbreeches, I am JEALOUS!!! I'd fall over dead if my son announced he wanted a horse. He's 14 so I doubt there is any hope in converting him over.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck on finding juuuuuust the right pony!!
    Alis volat propriis.

1 members found this post helpful.

Snowflake is going to get blocked by my husband!! I would love to arrange shipping for the gal in Oregon right now!!!

I started perusing stuff within 200 miles of us on all the sites, but no local luck. Not in a huge rush, but yes, I am very happy that DS likes the ponies! His allergies don't seem to be as bad this year, so that might have something to do with his attention to them right now.

bluemooncowgirl, in a year or two your son might surprise you when he realizes the guy/girl ratio at many horse events!

bluemooncowgirl, in a year or two your son might surprise you when he realizes the guy/girl ratio at many horse events!
    That's what I'm afraid of. Sort of.
    Alis volat propriis.

3 members found this post helpful.

Okay, silly question...but if you ship a mini, is it the same price as a big horse? Could the shipper put the mini in the back seat and give a discount?? Or I guess I could put the stock rack on my pickup and drive over to get the bugger. Make a nice vacay along the way.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

2 members found this post helpful.

goneriding24, I'm wondering if you could just put a mini in a big dog crate and send it on Southwest??

Bounceback, Love your boys! I saved two bull calves last summer to feed out as steers. I'm really curious as to how they are going to compare to everything else we have fed out. We have the largest herd of Ayrshires in CO, we milk about 12! DD has a really sweet cow that they do ride. Sweet Pepper Harry Fajita. I think my husband would agree that they make a better beef cow than dairy! we haven't had a lot of luck, but the original cows were coming from tie stalls or stanchions in all Ayrshire herds and they moved to free stalls with exercise lots competing with Holsteins in CO. I went to Nat'l Convention a couple years ago and the Ayrshire breeders are such great people.

What have you found to be the optimal age/weight to slaughter them at? Do you grass finish or corn finish? We have no pasture so our dinner gets a TMR like the milking pens

My husband comes from the dairy milking side, He's gotten me into them actually - my whole life i've been with horses. The guy we get our from is aweseome! Spends a lot of time in the whole breeding side of things (One of the best in Pa - and I'm close to Lancaster County!) and they go to the breed meetings and all. Both our boys are trained to lead, and manners (for well, a steer) Thinking of keeping the baby a bull, he's VERY correct, well bred and just has "IT"... but we'll see...

The big steer is my Empire's Power yearling's BEST friend... I'll bring Elmo in and the steer will wait outside his stall door and cry all day until I let him out.

They were both bottle fed on real milk replacer, then calf starter, calf grower and then on Alfala to keep the protien up. But mostly they are on grass. (great lawn mowers).

Think we're gonna send the first steer around November, he'll be a year and some change... not overly fatty, but meatty... I think he's about 13h now and roughly 6-700lbs... I almost hate to see him go because he is the ponies best friend and he really is a lap dog. But it's life.

When I told my husband I was going to try and hop on the steer, he just looked at me funny (i'm know to say "hey this sounds stupid, lets try it!") but He's a cool guy.

goneriding24, I'm wondering if you could just put a mini in a big dog crate and send it on Southwest??
    I knew a guy who shipped his big horse back east and put his mini in the back seat of his pickup for the drive. My pickup has a big back seat which I'm pretty sure could be taken out, for room, yanno.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I would have no qualms about hauling my mini in my Great Dane's crate (52" Collossal Crate from Midwest) in the back of a pickup. She probably wouldn't care one bit either. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    http://larapintahorsestud.weebly.com/for-sale.html

Second and third ones down...

And she's really cute:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1865490

Dreams do come true. You're welcome.
    I am impressed! I can hand over the reins of the enabler club now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    Snowflake is being quite the enabler....

Rustbreeches, I am JEALOUS!!! I'd fall over dead if my son announced he wanted a horse. He's 14 so I doubt there is any hope in converting him over.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck on finding juuuuuust the right pony!!
    Hey, there is hope: My cousin didn't get into horses until he was much older! He ended up riding amateur races and breeding TBs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

lucky you!!!
    how 'bout cupcake? (you could rename her Commanche or something more 'guy like"....

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1865519

or buttercup http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1863450

I'll keep an ear out for anything local. The only ones I can think of right now are small horses.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Buttercup is beautiful, but I think a little too "polished" for a boy... Cupcake (with a new boy friendly name of course) is perfect -- great little rough and tumble boy pony by the look of it!

http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/3763904221.html ???

Yes, quite right, butter cup a bit too polished, but this guy (not white, no red spots and probably not a stacey) but still.. a pony, and a kid experienced one, looks adorable. I would take him..

I am supposed to be working but of course, am perusing CL looking for a companion for my guy...

You people really have to stop this.... I'm going to end up buying a pony for my granddaughter (who just turned two).... and I totally don't need to since I have access to an adorable little black pony that I can bring to my own backyard as often as I want (10 minute walk away) for the one week per summer they can visit.

When I move south however, going to be a totally different story. As soon as I'm within 2 hours of where granddaughter lives, G'ma will have a pony for whenever she visits (and hopefully the occasional leadline class).

And so far no worries about DGD not being interested... when she's playing the "farm" game on her dad's iPad she spends 90% of her time going back to the pony page, and has shown absolutely no fear at any petting zoo she's been to. All set up for this summer -- I already got her a tiny helmet and DH got her her own child sized dandy brush so she can help get the pony ready.

NTS - stop looking at ponies for the next 4 years!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/3763904221.html ???

Yes, quite right, butter cup a bit too polished, but this guy (not white, no red spots and probably not a stacey) but still.. a pony, and a kid experienced one, looks adorable. I would take him..

I am supposed to be working but of course, am perusing CL looking for a companion for my guy...