The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So Confused by This Mini

I went with a friend of my mother's to pick up a donkey over the weekend and wound up bringing home a mini (finally!!!). She is adorable but I'm so confused as to what the genetics of her color could be. She is a black-bay with a blaze and two ICE BLUE eyes. No other white other than a few random (like 3) hairs in her mane.

How did this happen? I've only ever seen blue eyes on pintos and some moderately to maximum expressed sabinos. Is she hiding some gene somewhere?

[small voice] pictures or it didn't happen [/small voice]
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I went with a friend of my mother's to pick up a donkey over the weekend and wound up bringing home a mini (finally!!!). She is adorable but I'm so confused as to what the genetics of her color could be. She is a black-bay with a blaze and two ICE BLUE eyes. No other white other than a few random (like 3) hairs in her mane.

How did this happen? I've only ever seen blue eyes on pintos and some moderately to maximum expressed sabinos. Is she hiding some gene somewhere?
    Don't know but I'd sure like to see a picture!

I'm at work and can't post a picture to a sharing site (stupid firewall). I can e-mail one that was taken when we picked her up if someone else would like to post.

Wait... Maybe this will work:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...50-no/blue.jpg

What looks like white hairs on her chest is just from the sun. She has some serious defuzzing to do. It seems that she may have laid in cow manure - at least that's what it smells like! - and her fuzz is kind of matted. I've been working at it, but she's a bit squirrely about it. I have some Domorsedan gel that may be put to use or we might just have to bust out the clippers.

such a cute fuzzy-butt!

no, i have no clue about the genetics.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Oh my I just want to take some clippers to it! But adorable and absolutely no help on genetics.

I've seen black horses with blue eyes. I think it has to do something with a champagne gene.
    Like a black horse with this gene will come out a dark brown with black points sometimes but have have blue eyes. I could be wrong but I've heard something of this sort but i have seen them on a lot of black horses over the years. Maybe something with a splash gene that can show up in solid horses.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

She is absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt not champagne.

Probably either frame or splash or possibly dominant white? Not sure if that causes blue eyes also. Some form of pinto pattern is at play. She's not "hiding" it though, she's showing it clearly, just not in a form everyone expects.

Every "solid" blue-eyed mini I have personally known tested positive for frame but granted, they were from related lines and that obviously factored in.

She could be a completely different color when shed out.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

I dunno either, but a lot of the little squirts around here have the ice blue eyes with bald face. Kind of skeery in a way until you get used to it.

She is cuter than snot!! Congrats!! Bet you end up with more, they are sort of that way. **Looking for my second mini also**
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

No, no, no. We have always only had one mini at at time. The winter before last we lost our mini gelding - Mini Cooper - at the age of 42. He had cushings disease and his immune system was just shot. I had been looking locally for an "older than dirt" mini that was free/cheap to a good home but nothing was coming up. Went with my mom's friend to look at the donkey and she was there. We negotiated a package deal of $500 for the pair so she cost me $250. I'm a little bummed that she's 5 but you take what you can get sometimes.

No, no, no. We have always only had one mini at at time. The winter before last we lost our mini gelding - Mini Cooper - at the age of 42. He had cushings disease and his immune system was just shot. I had been looking locally for an "older than dirt" mini that was free/cheap to a good home but nothing was coming up. Went with my mom's friend to look at the donkey and she was there. We negotiated a package deal of $500 for the pair so she cost me $250. I'm a little bummed that she's 5 but you take what you can get sometimes.
    She's adorable! I know nothing about genetics so I'm no help either. About 6 years ago, I went with a friend to look at a horse and came home with a donkey for me.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...dBlueberry.jpg

We trained him to pull a cart.
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...5/100_3215.jpg

Since your little girl is only 5 why not train her to pull a cart?
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Since your little girl is only 5 why not train her to pull a cart?
    Is there a height requirement to train them to drive? She's little - like 28".

Is there a height requirement to train them to drive? She's little - like 28".
    Not that I'm aware of. You probably wouldn't want to ask her to haul a 300 pound of person around but she can pull a cart with a small adult or child in it easy. There is a lady in our town who sells dog carts and has her dogs trained to drive. They pull her all over town....it'll sure get you to look twice.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Is she a dwarf? I don't know a lot about dwarfs but her head looks a lot like what I read dwarf's head looks like.
    No idea on the eye color question!

I would guess minimally expressed overo. Blue eyes are common in overos particularly those with a good bit of white on their faces.

My neighbor told me the other day the wheel height is about horse point of shoulder height. ??
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Is she a dwarf? I don't know a lot about dwarfs but her head looks a lot like what I read dwarf's head looks like.
    No idea on the eye color question!
    I don't believe so. She's pretty well proportioned. She does have this very arab-y head. Very refined and tiny.

Maybe modify your title to indicate you have a color genetics question? There's a lot of knowledge on this board re: color, but I thought your title referred to a training question or something, til I read your OP.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Someone i know used to have a breeding stock paint pony with coloring very similar to your girl. Dark bay, wide white blaze, and freaky blue eyes. The only white on his torso was a small white spot under his belly. There was some doubt as to whether this was a real white spot rather than just a scar with white hair on it.