The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Billarica, MA CL Adorable Free Basset Hound Puppy

Please share this. Having just read about the VA conviction of the guy who mutilated literally dozens of puppies he got free off CL I feel just sick about this pup: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/pet/3820348362.html

I'm nowhere near Boston/Billarica but if there was a transportation convoy I could help or take. Here's the ad which does have a photo:

"I got this Basset Hound puppy 2 weeks ago from my boyfriend and I already have 2 Siberian Huskies and they just don't work out with this small dog. They bit him, step on him, eat him food, and just torture him. My boyfriend got him at a Petco sore in New Hampshire for $600. But because we have not gotten its shots yet there is no rehming fee. You just have to come pick him up.

"The dog has been sleeping in my basement in a cage because my other two dogs sleep upstairs with me, during the day i do keep it in the cage because my dogs again will hurt it, i just take him out once in the morning and once in the evening to go to the bathroom. He still is a puppy so he might have some accidents.

"He comes with a collar and a cage."

Oh dear GOD the poor little thing!!! She takes him out ONCE in the morning and ONCE in the evening to potty? He lives in a cage in the basement?!?!?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Surely there must be some basset rescue group that would take him.

I hope so, but I don't know anyone up there, so thought COH might help spread the word.

I just forwarded the ad to New England Basset Hound Rescue and asked them to let me know if they go get him so that I can relay the information to the nutty-animal-lovers on the COTH who will be eager to hear he's okay.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I thought Yoshi was too fragile to bring another dog into the house, but his Tramadol/MSM therapy is working like a charm. I'm in PA -if they can get him close I'll drive to meet them. I've always liked Bassett hounds and have raised pups. I'm on my 2 week break between semesters (I am an adjunct) so if the dog is still in need I'm interested.

Is he healthy?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I could also take him if there was a way to get him down here without shipping. Blue would love a little brother.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

The Chronicle at work!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

Good luck poor little guy. He's going to need some serious socialization ASAP.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Someone could call their local Petco and see if they sell puppies there: (781) 221-7160. But it's likely a pet from a rescue group that imports from the south and sells for bigger bucks in the northeast. If they are reputable, they'd want to know about this and take the puppy back.

x20!

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Someone could call their local Petco and see if they sell puppies there: (781) 221-7160. But it's likely a pet from a rescue group that imports from the south and sells for bigger bucks in the northeast. If they are reputable, they'd want to know about this and take the puppy back.

I called that Petco, but did you even read the ad? The puppy was purchased in NH, not MA.

Anyway, I called the MA Petco who says they don't sell puppies but often give space to rescues who "adopt" puppies for a couple hundred bucks. The ad poster could also be referring to Petland and not Petco.

Quote Originally Posted by catzndogz22 View Post
    I just forwarded the ad to New England Basset Hound Rescue and asked them to let me know if they go get him so that I can relay the information to the nutty-animal-lovers on the COTH who will be eager to hear he's okay.
    Thank you so much. I found an email for Colonial Basset Hound rescue in MA and sent them the link as well.

Oh I so hope someone gets that puppy and let's COTH know. I'm way too far away to help.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Petco does not sell puppies or kittens. They partner with local animal shelters who do adoptions via the store. She needs to pick up the phone and call the Petco to get the phone # of the animal shelter, which will SURELY take back the puppy.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I emailed and suggested that; however, others pointed out that there are Petland stores and they do sell puppies, so it's possible it was from there. The ad is gone, now, however.

Did anyone save the contact?
    It's been flagged. I could go pick him up, and get him to anyone who wants him. If no one wants him, I can grab him, foster him, vet and socialize him at my place. I can't keep him because I've got 6 pups already, but they are an awesome socialization pack! PM me the contact info if anyone has it!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Nope, too late. The free cute little pups go really really fast on CL, you have to move quickly on them.

Well, shoot, wish I'd seen this yesterday! I can't take another dog right now, but live very close to Billerica and could have picked him up and started the transportation chain to the next home.

If he pops up again, and someone here can take him, let me know.

HOAX!

I just heard back from the New England Basset Hound rescue and this is what they had to say:

"Unfortunately this seemed to be a hoax. That picture is apparently everywhere on google. The post was flagged for removal, and they never responded to us. I think some weirdo was just trying to lure someone to their basement!"

Yikes!

Lesson to be learned: If ever inclined to respond to such an ad, TAKE A FRIEND.