The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I'll send you a PM when I get the info. I'm also trying to get the name of the vet; perhaps they could speak to your vet
    I believe this was done in the field, by one of the clinicians from UC Davis.
    He can't find the info >:-(
    I'm glad you found a place that will do it standing. Whichever way you go, I would recommend finding someone who is totally comfortable with the method you will use.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Thanks for letting me know! I am more comfortable just removing the eye I think. 2 of the clinics here have told me they will do it standing. Both have board certified surgeons so I am comfortable with that.

1 members found this post helpful.

One of our retirees, who was 34 years old at the time, had a standing enucleation done. He had absolutely no problems at all and was very happy to have that eye removed. A friend of mine also had to have one of her horses's eyes removed and that procedure was also done standing. In both cases the recovery and aftercare were remarkably easy.

Thanks for the stories! They are making me feel much better about having this done. Now all I have to do is work with him on trailering. He has not been in the trailer since he lost his eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Thanks for the stories! They are making me feel much better about having this done. Now all I have to do is work with him on trailering. He has not been in the trailer since he lost his eyesight.
    Mine had not shipped blind before either, although he was a great shipper in general. What worked for him was to eliminate the "slant" of the ramp. I basically backed up to the side of a slight hill so the ramp was level with the floor of the trailer. I'm also lucky enough to have a side ramp as well so he was able to walk on and walk off--no backing.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

He walked into the trailer like a pro yesterday! And backed off like he always has. I trailered him a lot in his younger years and he seemed to just take it in stride. I am lucky that my trailer sits pretty low and so the ramp is not too steep.

1 members found this post helpful.