The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No LauraKY, you didnt read the whole thread. If you had, you would know that the horse in question is FREE. And, Im pretty sure nothing was mentioned about me not being able to afford emergencies. Kind of wondering where you got that impression.

I think you made the right decision.

Many years ago I was riding a horse that belonged to a trainer. It had been treated for EPM and had "recovered."

Trotting around a ring that horse fell with me so fast that I never knew what hit me. He dropped like a stone and hit me hard while trying to save himself. I was okay but had to be rushed to the hospital on a backboard.

I will never ride a horse that was treated for EPM again. IME it's too risky.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, falling. I hadnt even considered that. Also, the owner wasnt able to keep the horse in work over the winter and into the spring because of weather and school so I guess she really cant be 100% certain that she has fully come back to normal.

Some people in my barn and the vet are pretty open about it being a good opportunity for me so I was wondering why my gut was saying no. But, everyone here has made such good points that Im feeling pretty solid in my decision. This board is SO helpful! Thanks so much!!

Beancounterpony -- I lost one of my horses six years ago to EPM after the THIRD episode. He first contracted the disease in 2003, resurfaced in 2005, with the final episode in 2007. Yes, he was medically treated during the first two times. EPM damages/weakens the horse's immune system among other things. My boy's immune system was deteriorating during the last bout and had to be put down. He died in my arms. I would not get a horse diagnosed with EPM. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Schwab62, thank you for your post. Im really sorry to hear about your boy and everyone else's heart horses that have been lost to EPM. I started this journey yesterday not knowing very much at all about EPM and after this board and researching on-line, I now know how awful it can be.

That's why I had to retire my guy, the tripping leads to falling and that's where the danger is. I can't risk him falling on top of me and I retired him before he got bad enough he was going down when riding because i caught it early yet the tripping didn't 100% go away until recently with a new drug trial and I actually started riding him a bit again but I noticed that he wasn't doing as well in the pasture as I liked when i was riding him so I gave up and he is happy and going well in my pasture.

Also I think you op came off a little like you couldn't afford a non rideable horse and you pawned her on someone else. It did make me read twice myself but I usually give people the benefit of doubt so I didn't respond to anything in it. You cleared it up a bit with another post for me and this is why I gave you that benefit of doubt because I didn't have the whole story. That's what you choose to do and your lucky you have a friend that can use her and care for her. I am the kind of person since I have my own place my guys stay with me and even if I didn't they still do. I boarded 2 retired horses at 500 a piece full board for years plus one I was riding. But I was able to and I feel I owe them that. Some can not, I try not to judge idk people situations. Isn't there a thread going on right now about this.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by BeanCounterPony View Post
    No LauraKY, you didnt read the whole thread. If you had, you would know that the horse in question is FREE. And, Im pretty sure nothing was mentioned about me not being able to afford emergencies. Kind of wondering where you got that impression.
    Guess I got that idea from this:

Quote Originally Posted by BeanCounterPony View Post

I just had to retire my mare and re-home her. Because of her vet bills, last year's wedding, and some unexpected medical bills, I don’t have a big horse purchase budget. I have a horse care budget, which has a pretty good cushion, but If I used all that money to buy a nice horse, I’d be out of money for board, new tack, our vacation, etc.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I know he's "free", but don't do it. You can find my posts about my heart horse that's currently battling EPM and has been for at least 4 months now. I've spent close to $4k on arsenals of medicines, the drug trial, diagnostics, continual blood draws to monitor her levels. It's heartbreaking, to be quite honest. Don't expect anyone to understand, even horse people - I just left my old barn for that very reason. I've been so stressed out since this happened, I've laid in bed at night crying because I didn't know if what I was doing was the right thing.... I can tell you that the only "right" thing in dealing with a horse that has EPM is to do all that you can do, until there's nothing you can do anymore. They'll let you know when it's time.

I didn't know squat about EPM before my mare got it, and I don't claim to know much more about it now, other than it's ruined my idea of a happy retirement for the horse that gave me the world. Don't take the chance - there's others out there, you just have to be willing to wait for them. Wait for one that isn't going to break your heart and leave you with nothing to do but sit there and watch and pray for the best.

After having several EPMhorses I would pass. It is heartbreaking, frustrating and very expensive.

9 months ago I would have agreed with all of them as EPM if she really did have EPM, I agree with the previous post that subtle signs of EPM can be mistaken for something else, so I would be sure she had neurological signs, not just lameness.

I am the clinical coordinator for the studies we have been doing on EPM residual ataxia using Stem Cell Fluid called VivaStem to help these horses heal to normal. It is a young study of 9 months but so far all horses have responded and have returned to normal with no relapses. Other horses outside the study are also responding with the same 100% success rate so far. 14 horses- 6 in the study and 8 others. I am aware no treatment is 100% but so far it has been. Yes this is a very small study but showing great promise to help these horses.

I have been a full time professional horse person for the past 40 years and have personally had and have EPM horses. It is very common in our area. So I know firsthand what it is to deal with. With the VivaStem knowledge I have now and have personally seen the help the VivaStem did for the EPM horses. ( one was mine) For me it is no longer the big taboo to get an EPM horse, especially a nice one that is free. Of course it is a very personal decision.

But just want to get the word out there is another treatment out there that shows promise to help these horses that relapse or have EPM residual ataxia. If they relapse and titers indicate treat them for the protozoa and then give them the VivaStem. If the horse has low titers and just has residual ataxia then I would just treat with the VivaStem.

VivaStem Laboratories LLC has already in the first steps of gaining FDA approval for EPM residual Ataxia for horses and ACL tears for Dogs. It has to be sold to a vet and given by a vet

If you want to learn more go to www.stemcellfluidtherapy.com
    or you can privately email me at mariehorse@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Guess I got that idea from this:
    Does not sound to me that she had to retire and re-home due to money. Pretty sure she is just saying, she would rather keep her savings for emergencies and what not than put out a ton buying a horse. Sounds smart to me!

My friend has a horse with epm that I worked with a little before it got bad and was treated. He was always tripping. At the time we thought it was just his confirmation and his paddling. I have not seen him since he has been treated but hear its not good.

There are other opportunities out there that won't break your savings. You just got to look and be patient.