The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Properly withdrawing" from an event?

Hello!
    A while back I had signed up for an event via xentry. I did not send coggins, payment or signatures. After deciding it was not financially feasible for me to go to the event, I sent an e-mail to the director saying I would not be competing. I never got a reply to that e-mail but I didn't worry about it at the time.
    I was told by others who attended the event that my name was on the entry status list (as incomplete) and that if I had not properly withdrawn from the event I could get charged fees by the usef and barred from competition? Is this true? What entails a "proper withdraw"?
    I e-mailed the event organizer and asked to which I was told I'd have to pay the entry fee and they requested I "produced the email where I said i scratched". I forwarded them the email and still haven't gotten a reply. SUPER nervous here, definitely don't want to get into any type of trouble.. and surely don't want to pay an entry fee for an event that I couldn't afford in the first place.

I don't think you are in any sort of trouble, I think the organizer was silly to have put you on the competitor's list without any money up front.

Read pages 25 & 26 here (it's a pdf. of the rules) and while there's lots of explanations of refunds, there's no mention made of reprisals for a missed email. The rules do imply that an unpaid entry should not be considered a real entry though.

I'd call the USEF and ask, they're usually pretty good about answering that sort of question.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nobody can force you to pay, that's silly. Unless they sue you or something. Generally the instructions for scratching are included in the omnibus for each show--some prefer email, others insist on a letter if it's after a certain date, etc. When in doubt, email with a follow-up email is reasonable. Then you have an electronic "paper trail".
    Click here before you buy.

This is a real bone of contention among organizer, but the rules, and precedent are quite clear.

An entry without payment is NOT a complete entry. The USEF is very clear that any organizer that accepts an entry without payment (in any discipline) does so at their own risk, and the USEF will not follow up. (That is why H/J shws won't give you number until you give them a (usually blank) check.)

If, on the other hand, you pay with a check that bounces, the USEF WILL follow up, and you could end up suspended.

Many (but not all) omnibus listings say that, if they don't get your check, etc. within x days, they will throw out the entry.

What did the omnibus listing say?

Even if you paid in full, you can withdraw before the closing date without penalty (except maybe an office fee).

When did you send your email? Before or after closing date.

You say you sent an email to the "director". If you mean organizer, then that was a major mistake. the SECRETARY is in charge of the entries, not the organizer. If you sent an email to the organizer, it is not surprising that the secterary didn't get it, and hence did not know you had scratched.

ALWAYS send correspondence about entries to the SECRETARY.

In areas where entries are low, organizers count on the entries, even without payment. And the riders know it. So lots of riders send in entries without payment, and plan on paying at the last minute. I know some HT that, if they rejected all the entries without payment would have to cancel, but end up with plenty of entires becuase most people DO pay.

If it was this kind of HT, I can understand why they were annoyed. Even though the USEF says it is at their own risk, they operate on the assumption that the people who have sent in entries, and have not scratched with the SECRETARY, will in fact pay. All sorts of decisions hinge on this assumption- whether to cancel a dressage ring, what time to start, whether to run on one day or two, and so on.

Technically, there I nothing they can do to you. But organizers have long memories, and I would not be planning on asking any favors from that HT in the future.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

4 members found this post helpful.

An entry without payment is NOT a complete entry.
    Unless you're a BNT with a string of horses. Then your incomplete entry will bump that of a smurf at big shows, even if said smurf's entry was complete and perfect on the opening date.

Yup, still bitter.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys for all your responses!
    Janet, i don't know why I said director, I know I sent it to the secretary/show office.. I had sent a reply to an e-mail telling me my entry was incomplete (I just double checked the omnibus and it was the same e-mail that's on there)
    The omnibus just says no times without payment, which I obviously expected lol. I think the person who told me about being barred from competition is over exaggerating. Or at least I hope.