Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Bluey, because the bloodwork did not indicate an infective process at all.

She was also never very sick--vomited twice, never broke with diarrhea--as we got well in front if it. She was 100 % recovered within 36 hours and wondering why she was still on the super not very exciting w/d for a few days after that.
    Yes, you had stated something along those lines, but the ones seeing your dog at the show grounds won't know that.

As a show worker, our dog club let those of us that really could not leave a young puppy home alone all day bring it to the show and crate it.
    Generally, that was against the rules, only entered dogs belong in there.

Guess what, someone, the one and only time I had such a puppy there, that was completely silent and well behaved no one even knew it was there, someone noticed and complained.

The secretary had to explain the situation and when she told me, I found someone else to take my place while I ran the puppy back home and secured her and went back to the show to finish helping, an over 2 hour round trip.

Just remember and be prepared with your answer, because no matter how careful you are to follow rules, there will always be someone that has to be complaining.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't even notice someone else's dog having a shaved IV spot, but if I did it would never occur to me that it was contagious.

That's just the nature of dog shows, though, you don't know anything about the other dogs and you just deal with that. You know darn well that there are dogs with kennel cough at every show you go to, and probably other ailments, but the owners might not even know before they have exposed other dogs. That's why I am careful to make sure my dog is up to date on vaccines and don't let him play with other dogs at shows, but I know he could still be exposed.

There is no rule against showing a dog that has been shaved.

As for puppies, yeah, it's against the rules, but I don't think I've ever been to a show where I haven't seen puppies being carried around, walked, or in crates at their breeder's set-up. I can't imagine anyone other than the show management complaining about it - what's cuter than puppies? Not sure I'd bring my puppies on the road, but if I were a breeder, maybe I would.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post

There is no rule against showing a dog that has been shaved.
    Exactly. And if someone asks why there is no rule saying you have to answer. MYOB!!!

If a judge asked me I'd say "he had xrays" or "an ultrasound"....had to be knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    As a show worker, our dog club let those of us that really could not leave a young puppy home alone all day bring it to the show and crate it.
    Generally, that was against the rules, only entered dogs belong in there.

Guess what, someone, the one and only time I had such a puppy there, that was completely silent and well behaved no one even knew it was there, someone noticed and complained.

The secretary had to explain the situation and when she told me, I found someone else to take my place while I ran the puppy back home and secured her and went back to the show to finish helping, an over 2 hour round trip.
    What does this have to do with my situation at all?

You broke the rules and got caught.

The is no rule against showing a dog with a small shaved spot.

Now, if I brought my UNENTERED dog with a small shaved spot, that would be problematic...

So, OP, update??!!

I begged off last weekend. We had opening day at Arapahoe Park on Saturday, and I was totally wiped out Sunday. Sleeping in became more important than getting up at the crack of dawn to go get the puppy in the ring. I don't really know what happened about Monday. Somehow we rationalized not going.

She's also entered this weekend, but Ridgebacks are in the ring at 8 am both days, and the show is about an hour away....which means I'm now waffling about that one, too.

I do value my lazy weekend mornings!

OP, I totally understand! Those 8:00 AM ring times are killer!

Did you know, when you send in your entries, you can include a note requesting a late (or early) judging time if possible? I have done this a few times and have usually gotten it, if no one else has requested another time.

I love the lazy weekend mornings, too, not really compatible with foxhunting though. I treasure those hunting mornings when you wake up, realize it is snowing/sleeting/raining, and think "not going to happen!" and turn over and go back to sleep!

Nothing to add to this thread but would love to see pics of the pretty Ridgies.

Had one that was a bit of a feral one adopt me and my older brother when we were kids living in Mauritius (tiny island). He made it his mission to keep an eye on us when we were outside. Very protective over us. Loved that dog.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    OP, I totally understand! Those 8:00 AM ring times are killer!
    My breed always seems to be in the ring at 8am! I wonder how they do the schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    My breed always seems to be in the ring at 8am! I wonder how they do the schedule?
    Often they try to schedule the breeds that take a huge amount of grooming a little later in the day if possible. They often schedule the higher entry breeds earlier in the day especially if they are short coated. My friend who shows greyhounds bemoans the fact they are so often the first thing in the ring! But they do have some leeway and will often try to accommodate requests if they can. I try not to ask too often! No one likes to be really early the first day of a circuit, or really late the last day....if your local breed club has a meeting or something that will affect a number of people, they will usually try pretty hard to accommodate that as far as time. It is the usually the show superintendents who arrange the times, but they may have input from the show chair, judges, and/or exhibitors.

I entered Tori in an obedience trial this weekend (I know, hilarious!), and found they do not even give you a specific time except for the morning! It is all "to follow" and "judge may take 45 minute break at their discretion" (at anytime!) so you have to figure out how long it might take and guess when your dog might be in the ring as best you can! I began to appreciate the way ring times are scheduled in the breed ring. Even when there are multiple breeds in a grouping, if you figure 25 dogs per hour and allow for a few absentees you can usually pin it down pretty well, since they do give you specific afternoon times for at least the starts of each ring, and often break it down even more.

Since the whole "mental preparation" and warm up is so important in obedience, it is going to be quite a challenge for us. It is all about the energy level and attitude for Tori, getting an Irish Wolfhound "up" is not always easy, we don't want to peak too soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    Often they try to schedule the breeds that take a huge amount of grooming a little later in the day if possible. They often schedule the higher entry breeds earlier in the day especially if they are short coated. My friend who shows greyhounds bemoans the fact they are so often the first thing in the ring! But they do have some leeway and will often try to accommodate requests if they can. I try not to ask too often! No one likes to be really early the first day of a circuit, or really late the last day....if your local breed club has a meeting or something that will affect a number of people, they will usually try pretty hard to accommodate that as far as time. It is the usually the show superintendents who arrange the times, but they may have input from the show chair, judges, and/or exhibitors.
    Somehow it seems that if I enter for Sat/Sun I can depend on at least one of those days being at 8am. I guess Brittanys must be in the "less grooming" category which isn't entirely true. I know that specialities at AB shows can often influence the judging to help their entry - usually later the 1st day and earlier the 2nd day so people can travel. Last year a few of us entered a two days of specialties in MA and had the Easter Futurities Monday at noon in MD. And we showed at 2:45 on Sunday. Never in history have I been in the ring that late. Come to find out the hosting club asked for "the later, the better". Sure, on Saturday, but not on Sunday - what gives?

Not surprisingly, the person who made that call missed the entry for the Futurities with her super nice special, so she wasn't going. I joked about it at first, but I'm convinced that she was trying to either prevent a few of the specials from showing on Sunday, or from going to MD to compete at the Futurities. We did both - lost in MA, drove all night and lost in MD. It totally sucked. I still hold a grudge, I will admit it.

She's also entered this weekend, but Ridgebacks are in the ring at 8 am both days, and the show is about an hour away....which means I'm now waffling about that one, too.
    I do value my lazy weekend mornings!
    Who knows, maybe you will wake up really early and feel like running over. I actually like early ring times for puppies. Usually you have no trouble finding a primo parking place, it is much quieter with fewer spectators as well as fewer exhibitors. (Just watch out for speaker location when they play the national anthem). And you are in and out, and get to go home and have the whole day in front of you! If you win Breed with the puppy, I would probably either skip the Group, or go home and come back.

Thanks for the input, all. I did not make any requests of the clinic--it was late, I was tired, and I figured if the dog is sick enough for an IV, they can do what they need to do. The clipped area is perhaps 1" x 2". She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so chalk isn't really an option.

I'll take her and be ready to answer questions about it. God knows "she got into the trash and needed some fluids" is something that likely damned near every dog person has experienced. That's not quite what happened (we don't know what in the hell they got into) but it's certainly close enough to the truth.
    Show her! That small a spot will barely be noticed. I judge ridgebacks and would not be put off by a spot like that in the least. We judges are also dog people and know that stuff happens!! Good luck, have fun and make sure she has fun!!!

And NEVER use chalk! It is illegal!!!
    Last edited by Arizona DQ; May. 30, 2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: afterthoughts.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    And NEVER use chalk! It is illegal!!!
    Why don't judges care that so many people use it, then? Some brittany handlers chalk; I never do because I think it's stupid. But some breeds - Boxers, Beagles, etc. don't they always chalk?

I think it feels weird; I'm sure judges can tell.