The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any prior race videos of UB out there? I have never seen her run.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I knew the source on Frac Daddy's name. I just still think it has a negative dignity and majesty score. Knowing Big Brown was named for UPS didn't improve my feelings on his name, either. Scat Daddy is another awful one, even though derived from the owner's name. You can derive from the owner's name and still have a nice, classy sound to it (i.e. Fusaichi Pegasus).

Glad Orb is totally confirmed for the race now. I'd love to see them go 2 out of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    My personal name test: Imagine this being announced as you turn down center line at the Olympics. If your imaginary crowd snickers, cringes, or rolls their eyes, hit the gong on that one.
    I don't know some (okay, most) of one-word warmblood names are at best hard to pronounce, and not really very...inspiring.

As far as TBs go a lot I think are named with FULL awareness that if they get out of claiming company they can be called a success, so they go for something that works (I ran into "Fourlegseatsgrass" on TVG the other day, and "Fuzzy Muzzle.") Or something that's going to at least sound amusing ("Arrrrr" springs to mind and Tom Durkin's call of his race is worth the horse's weight in comedy gold.)

I mean, really, on the long list of names I don't especially like, there's "Curlin", "Zenyatta", "Cigar"...when they're calling the race it kind of ceases to matter. I mean, I think "Cigar" is a dumb name but not when it's prefaced with "the incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!" Heck, "Arcangues" isn't remotely my favorite horse name and it really didn't hurt any when Durkin was calling "But it's Arcangues! Arcangues to win it in an absolute shocker, he's NINETY-NINE TO ONE!"

Oh, I never said TBs had a copyright on it. There are definitely some bad warmblood names, and I really think some of the QH names are the worst.

But I personally would rule out buying a horse based on name. I would not rule IN buying a horse on name, as there are far more important qualities. All other qualities must be considered first. But if someday, I am looking at a fantastic dressage prospect that I otherwise like in all ways who is an OTTB named WinninGrinninBaby, I would strike that horse off my list. (For a fantastic horse who ticks every other box on my list, I might totally change the name and NEVER use the other anywhere, barn or show either one, if it was a gelding, but if a mare with possible breeding future and I was required to use the original TB name for breed presentation with no way to change it, nope.) Likewise, I will never buy a QH named something like ShezaHotChick. Or a (fill in other breed) named (fill in other cringeworthy name).

Like I said, we all have our biases. I freely admit this is one of mine.

1 members found this post helpful.

I understand the QH desire to keep pedigree in the name and sometimes it's not so bad (my best friend growing up had Poco Lindi Bar and Travellin Man Leo) but sometimes, I wish they would think a little bit about how it sounds.

And yeah, I get the liking the name thing, though the more seriously I get into handicapping the more I learn to ignore the name completely and pay attention to the strings of numbers under it. (Getting money when I read them right helps.) I hated my old OTTB's registered name and never used it, now I'd just keep Lucky's if I were ever going to show him in anything. We do all have our biases. You'd have to pay me to take a warmblood for anything unless I was planning to flip it for lots of money immediately.

You can easily include me in a group that isn't enthralled with say "Frac Daddy" as a name (never liked "Scat Daddy" as a name either), but as I said before there is logic for the owner to craft such a name.

Unquestionably some names are just cool, regal and/or clever. That said it would be a stretch to say that "Orb" falls into any of those.

Anyhow .... back to the Belmont Stakes it looks like the gate may be full and even if the TC isn't on the line there could be some genuine excitement in watching the race.

We'll see what happens when the entries are taken tomorrow but possibly 15 starters

Entries are due Wednesday morning, and post positions are to be drawn at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Belmont Park, and if 15 enter and run, that would mark the largest Belmont field since 15 ran in 1983. There were 15 entered in 1996, but, after one scratch, 14 ran.

Though there is no Triple Crown on the line, the Belmont is expected to feature a rematch between Orb, the Derby winner, and Oxbow, the Preakness winner.
    Good for Orb?: The outlook for bad weather increases for Saturday, with a 60 percent chance of showers.

Some of the mount assignments:

- Freedom Child with Luis Saez

- Revolutionary with Javier Castellano

- Frac Daddy with Alan Garcia

- Midnight Taboo with Garrett Gomez

- Vyjack with Julien Leparoux

- Incognito with Irad Ortiz Jr.

- Palace Malice with Mike Smith

- Always in a Tiz with David Cohen

- Giant Finish with Edgar Prado

- Will Take Charge with Jon Court

- Golden Soul with Robby Albarado

-

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't know some (okay, most) of one-word warmblood names are at best hard to pronounce, and not really very...inspiring.

As far as TBs go a lot I think are named with FULL awareness that if they get out of claiming company they can be called a success, so they go for something that works (I ran into "Fourlegseatsgrass" on TVG the other day, and "Fuzzy Muzzle.") Or something that's going to at least sound amusing ("Arrrrr" springs to mind and Tom Durkin's call of his race is worth the horse's weight in comedy gold.)

I mean, really, on the long list of names I don't especially like, there's "Curlin", "Zenyatta", "Cigar"...when they're calling the race it kind of ceases to matter. I mean, I think "Cigar" is a dumb name but not when it's prefaced with "the incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!" Heck, "Arcangues" isn't remotely my favorite horse name and it really didn't hurt any when Durkin was calling "But it's Arcangues! Arcangues to win it in an absolute shocker, he's NINETY-NINE TO ONE!"
    Except that Durkin kind of mangled the pronunciation of Arcangues' name. It's "Ar-KONG" (well, sort of). He pronounced the "cangues - kong" part like you would "KANG-aroo".

Another naming trend I don't like? Owners who name their horses as a combination of their childrens' names. Rydilluc comes immediately to mind; clumsy and goofy. I know Tony Santic named Makybe Diva for 4 of the secretaries of his company, but "Makybe" sounds kind of exotic.

Looks like just 14 runners as Always In A Tiz is *not* entering after all. The connections are instead pointing him to the undercard Easy Goer Stakes that day.

With 14 or fewer runners that means NYRA will use a single starting gate.

According to The Weather Channel, steady rain will soak the area Friday, and though the forecast is for the rain to taper to showers Saturday, the likelihood, at least 72 hours out, is that the Belmont will be run on an off track.

Per the DRF: the last time the Belmont had as many as 14 starters was in 1996, when the first three finishers broke, in order, from posts 7 (Editor’s Note), 13 (Skip Away), and 9 (the filly My Flag).

The draw and morning line odds:

Post. Horse (ML Odds)
    1. Frac Daddy (30-1)
    2. Freedom Child (8-1)
    3. Overanalyze (12-1)
    4. Giant Finish (30-1)
    5. Orb (3-1)
    6. Incognito (20-1)
    7. Oxbow (5-1)
    8. Midnight Taboo (30-1)
    9. Revolutionary (9-2)
    10. Will Take Charge (20-1)
    11. Vyjack (20-1)
    12. Palace Malice (15-1)
    13. Unlimited Budget (f) (8-1)
    14. Golden Soul (10-1)
    Free Past Performances for the field

Best position? Some past winner info

Things are much more spread out after that, though, as No. 3 has had 15 winners, No. 5 has had 14 winners and No. 7 has had 13 winners.

Based on a number of different factors, No. 7 has to be considered the ideal spot in this year's race. Not only is it right in the middle of the 14-horse field, but the No. 7 post has been fittingly lucky over the past several years. Three of the past six winners have started seventh, so both recent and historic success suggests that No. 7 is the perfect spot.

That bodes well for Oxbow as he is among the race's top contenders and will start from the No. 7 position to boot. Orb is also in a great spot at No. 5 as 14 winners have come from that spot.
    Television coverage

The Belmont is the 11th race on a 13-race card that begins at 11:35 a.m. Eastern. Post time for the Belmont is 6:36 p.m. The Belmont will be shown live by NBC during a two-hour telecast that begins at 5 p.m. and also will include the Grade 1 Manhattan, featuring Point of Entry.

There is a two-hour show featuring earlier Saturday stakes on NBC Sports Network from 3-5 p.m. as well as a post-Belmont wrap-up show on NBC Sports Network from 7-7:30.

Anyone have an livestreaming of the undercard races?

I have only found this http://www.nyra.com/belmont/
    which will only show race replays and live audio.

Of course, there is livestreaming of the actual race starting at 5:00 pm EDT. here - http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/

I'm on my iPhone so linking is a pain but if you read the DRF article it appears the Belmont gets a free 'rabbit' vis-a-vis "Frac Daddy". What the heck? They actually are saying they want to blast him out of the gate and have prepped him like this is a sprint race. Add to that Mike Smith on Palace Malice who will likely go waaaay too fast and we have our pace setters for Orb, Oxbow, Golden and Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Thanks, GG!

...and interesting triple...7, 13, 9
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Add to that Mike Smith on Palace Malice who will likely go waaaay too fast
    They aren't putting blinkers on Palace Malice again for the Belmont. So they are expecting him to run more reasonable fractions this time.

Since the topic of groaner horse names came up ..

people, it's all about Hoof Hearted. (Now try saying that one fast)

Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    They aren't putting blinkers on Palace Malice again for the Belmont. So they are expecting him to run more reasonable fractions this time.
    Still not seeing Mike doing anything to get that horse on the board.

A really interesting article on who is bred (sire & dam) to go the distance. Hint don't wager on Vyjack at all of you look at his lineage.

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stak...-bred-distance

Who is thinking that Orb or Oxbow will repeat at Belmont? Or perhaps Golden Soul? Some love for the filly and Rosie? We are only 36 hours out from the big race.

I'm unlikely to see it live as I'm on vacation and many hours behind with limited access.

I'd love to see Orb get another one and think he's a good chance, but I think Golden Soul has a real shot in here, too. Should be a neat race. Can't see Oxbow getting an easy lead and stealing this time.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    Since the topic of groaner horse names came up ..

people, it's all about Hoof Hearted. (Now try saying that one fast)
    Don't know if y'all have seen this, but it is HYSTERICAL -
    Minnie Driver reading aloud banned racehorse names on The Graham Norton Show. CAUTION!! NOT safe for work or 'delicate' ears!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELTfS_wM74
    Last edited by Vibrant Black; Jun. 7, 2013 at 09:43 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

When I checked those PPs yesterday, and saw so many who loved an off track, and had done so well recently, I was totally confused. Easier to eliminate a couple that certainly aren't in it (yup, Vyjack was one - and think the Rudy/Julian combo kind of odd?).
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

If I was a betting person I'd place a hunch bet on Overanalyze. If he wins we'd have O for three. In names anyway.