The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 2013 Belmont stakes: 145th running of "Test of Champions" June 8

Since the Derby and Preakness threads are effectively capped out with relevant content I thought it wise to kick off this thread for the last leg of the Triple Crown.

With the defeat of Orb and victory by Oxbow it appears a slew of contenders are interested in chasing after this $1M Grade 1 prestigious test of a champion at 1 1/2 mile .. in fact it could be an overflow field:

Belmont Stakes (5/22) "Probable field " from DRF
    in alpha order

Horse. (Trainer). [Jockey]. |Last race/finish|

Code West. (Bob Baffert). [undecided]. |Pimlico alw, 1st|

Freedom Child. (Tom Albertrani). [Luis Saez]. |Peter Pan, 1st|

Giant Finish. (Tony Dutrow). [undecided]. |Kentucky Derby, 10th|

Golden Soul. (Dallas Stewart). [Robby Albarado]. |Kentucky Derby, 2nd|

Itsmyluckyday. (Eddie Plesa Jr.). [undecided]. |Preakness, 2nd|

Micromanage. (Todd Pletcher). [undecided]. |Monmouth alw, 1st|

Midnight Taboo. (Todd Pletcher). [undecided]. |Belmont alw, 2nd|

Mylute. (Tom Amoss). [Rosie Napravnik]. |Preakness, 3rd|

Orb. (Shug McGaughey). [Joel Rosario]. |Preakness, 4th|

Overanalyze. (Todd Pletcher). [undecided]. |Kentucky Derby, 11th|

Oxbow. (D. Wayne Lukas) . [Gary Stevens]. |Preakness, 1st|

Palace Malice. (Todd Pletcher). [Mike Smith]. |Kentucky Derby, 12th|

Revolutionary. (Todd Pletcher). [Javier Castellano]. |Kentucky Derby, 3rd|

Unlimited Budget (f). (Todd Pletcher). [undecided]. |Kentucky Oaks, 3rd|

Will Take Charge. (D. Wayne Lukas). [undecided]. |Preakness, 7th|

2 members found this post helpful.

I was hoping to go this year since we didn't go last year. Maybe next year! How many years have we said that?

Default "68 Belmont

I was at Belmont in 1968 to see Cannonaro II beaten by Forward Pass, in the Belmont Stakes. No triple crown that year sadly.

I used to live on Long Island not that far from Belmont. Gorgeous track! Shopped at Thyben's Saddlery across from Belmont, for many years back in the 60's.

My mare Jr's Freedom won a race there too.

Love Belmont.

Good Luck to Oxbow and Orb!
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

1 members found this post helpful.

Orb, still unconfirmed for the Belmont, appears to be getting closer to the green light to enter ....

May 23, 2013 (DRF): 'Orb's strong gallop has McGaughey wanting to run'

“If everything’s right, he’s doing right, puts his weight back on, his energy level’s good, we would like to run in the Belmont,” said McGaughey, who trains Orb for co-owners/breeders Ogden Mills Phipps and Stuart Janney III. “If we hit any stumbling block along the way there are plenty of other good opportunities.”

Orb, with his regular exercise rider Jennifer Patterson aboard, entered the sealed, good main track at 6 a.m. and stood quietly alongside a stable pony at the 1 1/4 mile pole.

Orb didn’t appear to turn a hair when two loose horses went by him from opposite directions seconds apart.

“They said it was quite exciting down there with the loose horses and the outriders,” McGaughey said. “With all he’s been through, he’s seen so much, I don’t think it’s going to startle him. It got me off my seat.”
    Dropping out of consideration for the Belmont: Mylute

Tom Amoss said via text message that Preakness third-place finisher Mylute would skip the Belmont and “point to a start later in summer.”

With Mylute out, Rosie Napravnik gets Code West in the Belmont, for Bob Baffert

Code West, last seen at Pimlico winning an allowance race with Rosie up
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; May. 23, 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Of the horses listed, if I were there and betting, I'd bet on Orb and Revolutionary. I really like them for this race based on their paper. Like Revolutionary a bit better.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

If Oxbow runs what are the chances he gets an easy lead again?

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    With Mylute out, Rosie Napravnik gets Code West in the Belmont, for Bob Baffert

Code West, last seen at Pimlico winning an allowance race with Rosie up
    Whoa - sounds like that deal wasn't locked up as now it appears that Todd Pletcher is indicating Rosie will ride the filly Unlimited Budget. Interesting how that works with her agent.

From the Paulick Report (5/30/13):

trainer Todd Pletcher may be sending a filly to the 1 1⁄2-mile contest. Unlimited Budget remains unconfirmed for the Belmont, but if she goes, Pletcher said it is “very, very likely” jockey Rosie Napravnik will get the mount.

Pletcher told reporters he does not think the 1 1⁄2-mile distance is, in itself, inherently more taxing for fillies than colts. Although Rags to Riches started just once more before retiring after her Belmont win, the Hall of Fame conditioner believes the stumble at the race’s start had more to do with her struggle to recover post-race than the distance.

Answer to the switch by Rosie: Baffert and the West family (owners) were going to skip "if the field size is large". At this point it very well will be a full house.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

According to the DRF, Orb and Revolutionary are 1, 2 favorites in the early odds.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I have to say I like Golden Soul's chances here. I still like the others, but he showed something special in the Preakness. I'd never even heard of him before then. And I expect Oxbow to fight that out again.

I still love Revolutionary and Orb, but.....

I'm waiting for the 'dark horse' trained by Nick Zito to enter...he always blows up the Belmont LOL
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsefilly View Post
    I was at Belmont in 1968 to see Cannonaro II beaten by Forward Pass, in the Belmont Stakes. No triple crown that year sadly.
    Nor in 1971, when Pass Catcher beat Canonero II in the Belmont.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    I have to say I like Golden Soul's chances here. I still like the others, but he showed something special in the Preakness.
    That was the Kentucky Derby for Golden Soul as the only thing special on Preakness Day for GS was getting a bath Early odds suggest him as a horse not to leave out of your superfecta.

Right now with the probables for the Belmont, no Zito-trained horse is likely

One runner now being mentioned: Incognito, owned by Darley Stable and trained by K McLaughlin. Although I think it would be a stretch with a career of 6 starts 2-1-1, his only stakes appearance being the Grade 2 Peter Pan (@ 1 1/18 mi)where he finished 5th.

The remarks in that race for him: " the two path on the turn, was guided over to the rail in midstretch, made no impact". Eh, not exactly what you want to see.

LOL yeah, that Can't keep em straight anymore, just the fact that I liked him there....got some bottom to him.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Per the DRF: Frac Daddy looks like another entry for the Belmont. A nice, big, competitive field is welcomed.

Sorry, but I will never be able to root for a horse named Frac Daddy. Nor Daddy Nose Best (wasn't that one in a recent Derby?). Nor Isitingood. Nor Big Brown.

I realize it's hard to find unclaimed names, but other people are still managing to find some that don't sound like a bad joke or a human 3-year-old's choice. Cutesie names belong on kids' ponies. They don't, IMHO, belong on racehorses, nor competition horses (for adults) otherwise. Horses are such regal, majestic creatures. Give them some dignity in their names. My personal name test: Imagine this being announced as you turn down center line at the Olympics. If your imaginary crowd snickers, cringes, or rolls their eyes, hit the gong on that one.

I'm biased, admittedly. But we all are, just in different ways. This one is one of mine. I was SO glad that Big Brown lost the Belmont and that we did not have to have that moniker added to the list of TC winners.

Back to the Belmont, I like Orb, Revolutionary, and Golden Soul myself.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Sorry, but I will never be able to root for a horse named Frac Daddy. Nor Daddy Nose Best (wasn't that one in a recent Derby?). Nor Isitingood. Nor Big Brown.

I realize it's hard to find unclaimed names, but other people are still managing to find some that don't sound like a bad joke or a human 3-year-old's choice. Cutesie names belong on kids' ponies. They don't, IMHO, belong on racehorses, nor competition horses (for adults) otherwise. Horses are such regal, majestic creatures. Give them some dignity in their names. My personal name test: Imagine this being announced as you turn down center line at the Olympics. If your imaginary crowd snickers, cringes, or rolls their eyes, hit the gong on that one.

I'm biased, admittedly. But we all are, just in different ways. This one is one of mine. I was SO glad that Big Brown lost the Belmont and that we did not have to have that moniker added to the list of TC winners.
    "Squirtle-Squirt"

That one had me rolling my eyes, too. Although I believe he really WAS named by a 3-year-old, the owner's son, wasn't he? Even so, sigh . . .

Yes, he was named by the owner's son.
    But imo, you do not *indulge* your toddlers to name racehorses, any more than you'd allow them to drive a Ferrari.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Sorry, but I will never be able to root for a horse named Frac Daddy. Nor Daddy
    His sire is Scat Daddy and the owner is in the oil & gas business hence the tip of the cap via the name to fracing of gas from shale.

Pletcher said Monday the filly with Rosie up - Unlimited Budget - is a go for the Belmont. So too is Orb ....