The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not Sure Instructor is a Good Fit

I've recently started riding for a local stable trading work (was supposed to be just working horses) for one lesson a week. The BO gives lessons, trains etc.

I was asked to preform a specific, and fairly basic maneuver, while riding and the horse was not cooperating (she hadn't been ridden with any consistency for a while). So the BO tells me I need a crop to reinforce my leg cue and proceeds to walk over and smack the horse on the hindquarters before handing me the crop (not to mention a dressage whip would have been a better choice). By now the horse has no idea what she is being "disciplined" for and at first wouldn't let her near enough to hand me the crop.

She has also told me to do a one rein stop (very quickly) and then smack the horse with the crop if she acts up (like spooking at one of the two "scary corners").

At one time she decided to crack a whip behind the mare as I was leading her away from something that she had found scary (lawn mower) and had just gotten done smelling. This resulted in the horse going forward and sideways (into my space).

There have been a few more situations similar to what has been described above.

I haven't had the chance to take lessons with an instructor with any consistency and so have ridden with multiple instructors over the years, but normally was on my own. Basically, I'm not sure what to expect, but this just doesn't feel right. I understand being firm with a horse that is legitimately misbehaving, but going after a horse with a crop after the fact?

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

nope you are not overreacting in my opinion
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

Does not sound like a logical training method in which the horse will learn to be anything other than more anxious and nervous. I'd find a problem with the hours or location and go somewhere else.

I'd be "overreacting" right there with you. You seem to have more insight into training than this instructor.

JMO
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Time to take a hike, doesn't sound like anyone you want to learn from.
    Another red flag is the fact that your work arrangement has already morphed from riding horses to barn chores. This one, however, falls entirely on you-- no one can take advantage of you without your permission. So, at the next barn you go to, focus on communicating your boundaries-- No, Ms. Instructor, do not crack a whip at the horse I am riding. And No, Ms. Instructor, I'm not available to do all the stalls-- our arrangement was for me to school xx horses per week in exchange for lessons.

Better yet, simply get paid an hourly wage for the work you do, and then pay for lessons with a trainer you want to learn from. You can search this board for a million posts on the problems that arise from the unwritten work-for-lessons arrangements. They seem to inevitably end badly.

Some people don't have much common sense, that doesn't seem to be that common, as you describe there.

We always learn best from someone we can emulate.
    You don't want to learn from someone you are wary of what strange thing they may pull next on or around you.

Maybe you ought to see where else you could be riding?

"Not a good fit" sounds waaaay too polite to me!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

3 members found this post helpful.

Just because someone has a barn doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Move on.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Just because someone has a barn doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Move on.
    That is soooooo true!

I've only ridden with her twice and made the mistake of helping her with chores since the girl who normally does was running late and the BO had injured her back.

I'm emailing her this afternoon to let her know I will no longer be riding with her.

With it being summer, I'll be working more and can afford to take lessons and hopefully be able to work out some kind of arrangement like HungarianHippo mentioned for when classes start up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    I've recently started riding for a local stable trading work (was supposed to be just working horses) for one lesson a week. The BO gives lessons, trains etc.

I was asked to preform a specific, and fairly basic maneuver, while riding and the horse was not cooperating (she hadn't been ridden with any consistency for a while). So the BO tells me I need a crop to reinforce my leg cue and proceeds to walk over and smack the horse on the hindquarters before handing me the crop (not to mention a dressage whip would have been a better choice). By now the horse has no idea what she is being "disciplined" for and at first wouldn't let her near enough to hand me the crop.

She has also told me to do a one rein stop (very quickly) and then smack the horse with the crop if she acts up (like spooking at one of the two "scary corners").

At one time she decided to crack a whip behind the mare as I was leading her away from something that she had found scary (lawn mower) and had just gotten done smelling. This resulted in the horse going forward and sideways (into my space).

There have been a few more situations similar to what has been described above.

I haven't had the chance to take lessons with an instructor with any consistency and so have ridden with multiple instructors over the years, but normally was on my own. Basically, I'm not sure what to expect, but this just doesn't feel right. I understand being firm with a horse that is legitimately misbehaving, but going after a horse with a crop after the fact?

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting?
    No, not overreacting. You obviously are over-qualified for what you are doing, and way more qualified than the 'instructor'. Leave ASAP and do not look back.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.