The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Default Adventures with George: My Experience at a GM Clinic

Last month, I was lucky enough to take part in a GM clinic as a demo rider. I've written a suuuper long recap (I just couldn't condense it!) on my blog - check it out if you'd like!

http://kadyhobbins.com/2013/05/22/ad...s-with-george/

8 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like a great time! Congrats on the compliments.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

awesome!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Awesome! Sounds like it was a great experience!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I wish there had been blogging back when I rode with him...lol
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

One of my daughters rode with GM twice - once at a clinic and once at the Mane Event in Chilliwack. We had nothing but good to say about him.
    He is sharp as a tack, funny, eagle eyed and everyone improved under him.

There are threads and threads about GM and a lot of nasty comments - but
    overall we are privileged to have such as him to teach our lowly butts. He never tires of trying to teach. He was extremely gracious and willing to chat and help even after the clinic time allocated was up. The organizers had to push him out of the arena!

See you at T'Bird!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Do you know Claire Doty? I know she did that clinic. I learned to ride from her mom Caryl when they lived in So Cal.
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

PS This is so right on! --- After a few more “Thaaaaaat’s it”, “SUper” and “byuhtiful”s, I was done.
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

Quote Originally Posted by mckenna310 View Post
    Do you know Claire Doty? I know she did that clinic. I learned to ride from her mom Caryl when they lived in So Cal.
    Yep, she's a good friend of mine and was in my clinic group. She did very well in the clinic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Fantastic recap, glad you had a good experience! Thanks for the write up.

Congratulations on your demo ride with Mr. Morris!!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

What a great read, thanks for sharing!

That was a really great and useful read. Your writing is excellent! Many thanks for sharing!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks for all the kind words! I really recommend anyone who has the opportunity to ride with GM to capitalize on it. It's well worth it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I enjoyed reading your blog. Very nice. Sounds like you had a good time and learned a lot. And even though you had the embarrassing moment, he followed up later with a very positive comment. Awesome!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Wonderful blog! Thanks so much for sharing

I can't yet get past this: "jack russell riding a mini pony"

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I can't yet get past this: "jack russell riding a mini pony"
    ^my horse had trouble getting past that combo too. Big old Clydie mare was fantastic about most everything at the busy trade show, even pulled off two jumps for the crowd, but she was NOT going anywhere near the dog riding the tiny horse. They were stabled in our area, I was part of the draft breed demonstration.

--

goodlife, I saw one of your rides, you did very well! I thought GMs presentations were really good, I started making notes. It took me a little while to get used to his presentation style, I found the first few minutes of the sessions a little bit hard to take. He was kind of all over the place. GM seemed to warm up as the riders/horses did, and he was funny and effective as a presenter...which is tough with such large groups. Previous years' Jumping clinics were restricted to 3 riders, the GM sessions were bigger.

I watched a session (don't think it was yours...) with a gorgeous pinto. GM loved the horse, rode him a little in demonstration. He started talking about how the only horse he still has is a retired Appaloosa. It was endearing. He also decided that one rider's Thoroughbred was a "mean" horse, which I thought was funny, and he had a lot of effective strategies for the rider. He was encouraging, so while he did make a negative observation about the horse, it was definitely with the intent of improving the pair. I liked how he made the distinction clear to the crowd, that riders on the more willing horses had to take full ownership of some of the mistakes...whereas sometimes the rider on the "mean" horse had to accept that she needed to take the hard line on the horse, he was sometimes fighting the good ride. Without the clear distinction, the end result looked the same, the same mistake was made...but in one case, the correct response WAS to discipline the horse. In the other case, the horse had made a good effort, so the response was to give the rider improvements and try again.

When he was really negative/harsh...it was pretty clear why, and well deserved, in my opinion. Honestly, there were one or two riders that seemed to think they were there to star in a movie or something. They didn't appear to be listening/paying attention, and I was getting frustrated from the AUDIENCE. They really stuck out, because most of the participants were so obviously engaged and working really hard. Besides the one or two riders though, I thought the criticisms were good, and led to immediate improvements, and GM seemed to be pretty fair with positive feedback.

They obviously got a nice pool of applicants this year, I thought the jumping demonstration clinics were excellent. I know in previous years, it has been a struggle to find interested demo riders who are at a high enough level for the clinicians. I had momentarily thought about applying, but after watching the sessions, I'm glad I didn't! It was a lot more educational to watch better riders and more advanced pairs.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Thanks for sharing your blog. Sounds like you are a terrific rider!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

I really enjoyed reading your recap of the clinic! Your writing style is great, easy to read, and very funny. It sounds like you had a great time and your horse improved as well. Do you happen to remember the name of the trick reiner from Saturday night who did the imitations of different disciplines? I'd love to see a youtube video of that because it sounds hilarious!