The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    ^^^ Ahh yep. “feed and lead” - aren’t bred for much else, and usually can’t stay sound for any real use ( I like how all mentions of the arena talk about lunging your horse - guess no one RIDES the horses).
    *sigh* This is not always true. My mare and gelding are both halter bred. My mare's sire is a IBHA World Champ and was headed for the roping ring when he suffered a career ending hoof injury. Another stud at the same farm, also a World Champ., went on to compete at the worlds in roping. I think he got a top ten or better at least once.

I know that some halter horses are horribly disfigured/configured but that doesn't mean they all are. Not all halter people care only about showing halter. Please don't lump every halter person into one barrel.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

In reading this thread, the important lesson I take away from this is to have a boarding contract that specifies how much the monthly board is, what services are provided in the board and how much notice (if any) is required before moving your horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

I take my car to a mechanic. He tells me the repair will be $200. I come in the next day and give him $200. He then tells me I need to give him another $100 for "garage space rental" which is a policy he just decided on 5 minutes ago, and he won't give me my car keys. I grab my keys off the table and book out of there. I just stole my own car? When I had already paid for the value of the service provided.

Not that I really care. I'm glad most people are honest and the OP got her horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, so happy you got your horse back! Sounds like it went fairly well. Good job.

For inquiring minds, OP, did you take law enforcement with you? Or did he just back down upon presentation of your evidence?

Very happy you were able to get your horse out of there and wipe the dust of that "establishment" off your feet. Best luck going forward.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    *sigh* This is not always true. My mare and gelding are both halter bred. My mare's sire is a IBHA World Champ and was headed for the roping ring when he suffered a career ending hoof injury. Another stud at the same farm, also a World Champ., went on to compete at the worlds in roping. I think he got a top ten or better at least once.

I know that some halter horses are horribly disfigured/configured but that doesn't mean they all are. Not all halter people care only about showing halter. Please don't lump every halter person into one barrel.
    I understand that not ALL QH halter horses are not suitable for under saddle work. Good on you for owning some usable halter bred horses.

But when what *wins* in halter competitions is often in direct conflict with what makes a good riding horse (pinning straight hocks, post legs, tiny feet, huge bodies) – and they have to make a separate class for halter horses more suitable for riding – well then in my opinion things have derailed.

We have a halter bred horse at my barn – he lives in soft ride boots and can’t do much more than a slow walk. Most of the mature halter horses I have known where not SOUND. Partially conformation, partially due to the “fitting” they endured as youngsters (fed all alfalfa, lots of grain, lots of time in a stall and on a lunge line).

The barn described (and detailed on their website) is pretty typical when it comes to my experience with halter horses / barns around here. Horses are not ridden. They are stalled, then worked in heavy sand (on lunge lines or on hot walkers) – if they are going to be riding horses, why not break them and ride them?

If you google “winning Quarter Horse Halter” and hit images – you will find many photos of giant horses with gasp worthy legs.

With straight hocks and camped under, why is this horse a 2003 Superior Halter winner?

Why has this mare with terribly posty hocks won 65 grand and reserve championships?

Why did this colt win at Congress? What sort of fitting routine does a weanling go through to look like this at such a young age?

This mare has many points – I would have to really use my imagination to picture her being a nice ride under saddle
    Last edited by Appsolute; May. 24, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

I am glad you got your horse back.

Just a random thought:
    What would happen if you took bolt cutters and cut the lock and trailered the horse off the property. If there is no contract then would the BO even be able to go after you for the money that the BO decided you needed to pay after the fact.

I am amazed to learn new things every day on COTH that I did not know before. I had no idea that SWAT would storm someone's house at 4am for a stop payment on one check.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgurl1985 View Post
    You can find him at schuetzfarms.com
    OMG - it's like a gallery of what to look for in unsound horses...

And what really sends me over the edge is that once these horses finish their "show" career, most of the baby makers will head on into a breeding career and just pass along those upright pasterns and teensie feet...I feel so sorry for these horses.

"Wild Horse Package - Pasture Board Only - pasture access 12x7, horse will have access to limited shelter, horse will be grained and watered by farm staff - $350"

So I wanna know what happens for the other "12"?
    That site is a bit scary.
    "If your using the indoor arena and your horse makes a mess, clean it up, other horses do not want to lunge where your horse took a crap."
    "Pasture board horses should try first to lunge outside, the indoor arena is for stalled horses."
    -So what happens if they "try" to longe outside and need to come inside? Yes or no?
    "No Dogs, Guns, or loud music."
    Words to live by
    Does anyone ride at this place? Longe this and longe that...?
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    But when what *wins* in halter competitions is often in direct conflict with what makes a good riding horse (pinning straight hocks, post legs, tiny feet, huge bodies) – and they have to make a separate class for halter horses more suitable for riding – well then in my opinion things have derailed.
    Well, there is what often wins and what also wins and can go on to be competitive. I hate a LOT of what halter horse breeding turns out. But some people try to do it right. It's just the whole mindset of, "oh, halter people are evil" that irritates me.

My sister sent me pictures just this week of a full brother to my girl - she was riding him bareback in a halter and lead rope reins - a light walk, trot canter session - ears up having fun. She said he hadn't been ridden in a year and he was just as sensible and gentle as ever - trait the sire passes on. She has sold many, if not most, of that stud's offspring as riding horses.

I do wish that halter would go back to a using horse conformation. You don't have to show me bad examples. I've seen them and hate them, too. But it PAYS to have a halter horse go on to another career. I don't know why most breeders don't do that. Are they just lazy - can't ride? I mean, my sister's partner on my mare's sire gets the most money for stud fees from the one that had the best roping career (I think, I'd have to check but I think that's right).

My mare and gelding both have feet that are too small, I'll give you that. The gelding, though, is retired because of arthritis. I'm told he was yahooed around a lot when he was a two year old. He has fetlocks the size of grapefruits. But he hauled my a$$ all over St. Clair Co., AL for hours at a time before he was retired. He's probably do it today, too, damn stoic thing that he is.

As for why those horses your pointed out won... Lets start out with politics in showing, stupid fads and just plain stupidity.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

No law enforcement was used. And no one rides at this barn. My roommate and I were the only boarders he was a friend of a friend. We lasted a little over 2 months how? I have no idea... His yearling had a snotty nose and swollen lymphs when I left wouldn't be surprised if it was strangles. Thankfully my horse was nowhere near his ever

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    I take my car to a mechanic. He tells me the repair will be $200. I come in the next day and give him $200. He then tells me I need to give him another $100 for "garage space rental" which is a policy he just decided on 5 minutes ago, and he won't give me my car keys. I grab my keys off the table and book out of there. I just stole my own car? When I had already paid for the value of the service provided.

Not that I really care. I'm glad most people are honest and the OP got her horse.
    Yeah. Most guys who operate that way don't put your keys on the counter until you pay up. I had that experience once. Went to get tires, he quoted me around $200, when I went to pick the car up, he had tacked on an additional $25 per tire disposal fee he had neglected to mention when he gave me the price. I would have been tempted to grab my keys and run but he was a sleaze and no keys were going to appear until I paid up.

Looking at Appsolute's links, all I can say is shame on the AQHA, and their judging standards. Either that or every other horse those horses were in the ring against needed to be gelded or spayed.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.