The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default terrible flys

Has anyone found a miracle fly spray? I have permethrin based sprays but they don't seem to work anymore, I never had success with the freedom spot type. some people said diluting skin so soft with citronella spray works.

I use Pyranha, the lanolin based one...they've just come out with water based as well. Tractor Supply's Horse and Pony Fly spray works well too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I use Pyranha, the lanolin based one...they've just come out with water based as well. Tractor Supply's Horse and Pony Fly spray works well too.
    I just bought a bottle of the Pyranha water-based spray... I'll be happy to share my experience if it works!

I can tell you what hasn't worked for me this season: Espree Aloe Herbal Fly Spray. Smells wonderful, makes their coats nice and soft, does NOTHING for flies.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Fly sprays are the very, very last line of defense. If the flies are bad, there's a management problem and a spray can only do a tiny bit to help. What other steps are happening at your barn to control flies?
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have used Ultrashield for years but just heard that Pyrhana in the Aersol can is the best. Giving it a try this year.

The vast majority of my flies are handled by the fly predators. Above and beyond that I sometimes use some Pyrhana in the aerosol can.

Deep Woods Off; for when riding; as it only lasts about hour or so

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I just bought a bottle of the Pyranha water-based spray... I'll be happy to share my experience if it works!
    It's only been a couple hours, but I can already say two thumbs up for the Pyranha water-based fly spray!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Farnham roll on works well for face and is easy to apply.

However - I thought a good thing must be a good thing so I gave the rump a few swipes with the roll-on and it came up in huge welts. Felt like a really bad Mama.

Deep Woods Off works for mosquitoes, but I did not have success with flies so much.

Will give Pyranha a try if I can find it - has Ultrashield lost its effectiveness? It does not work how it used to, I swear.

When I put down fresh sawdust I the paddocks we did not have flies for a few years - need to re-apply.

I've not had luck with the marigold/'natural' stuff. Chemicals are yuck, but I've more faith in them.

Please report any significant findings.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Do they bite you and your horse, just your horse, or do they just bug you and your horse?
    If they bite your horse where are the flies biting low, or on the withers and belly, or just around the ears.
    To fight flies you need to 1. Identify the fly.
    Spray repels flies mostly, kills a few. Traps and bait kill flies.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

As the flies and horseflies have bloomed, I've graduated to permethrin/cypermethrin sprays. I'm not fond of the chemicals but my horse is turned out in a very large pasture surrounded by woods and lives in a pretty pristine environment. Wildlife, including insects, abounds, to the chagrin of this horse. I'll report back if this particular spray works. I can tell because biting flies and ticks leave welts on this horse.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

The management issue is a big one. Unfortunately I have yet to see a boarding barn in my area that actually manages the place so as to reduce flies (or other parasites). Picking out paddocks, which to me is akin to cleaning stalls, is just not really done. I still can't believe it, but its true. Flies are horrid, muck is gross. eesh. I can't believe I have to keep my horse in places like this, but no choice... she at least isn't in a paddock

anyway, I like Flysect super 7 & Flysect w. citronella. There are a couple of other Flysect versions but I like the two I mentioned. All are by Farnam, but I have to get on the interwebs, not for sale at TSC or other brick & mortar around here.

and a fly sheet.

1 members found this post helpful.

Re: the management issue-- it could be, it could not be. My horses are on 20 acres and fly predators have done absolutely zero. I believe our problem is that there are two herds of cows within 1/4 mile, as is a composting facility that takes in garbage. It does not help that a pond adjoins one field, which seems to increase the horse and deer flies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Deep Woods Off works for mosquitoes, but I did not have success with flies so much.
    This is my experience with Deep Woods Off also. Great for just about everything, but flies. Does nothing for flies.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    It does not help that a pond adjoins one field, which seems to increase the horse and deer flies too.
    Build a biting fly trap. They do a great job of reducing those nasty things.

Here is one style.
    Here is another style.

Now if I could find something that would take care of the darn gnats I would be really happy (and so would my horses).

We get a lot of customer reports that vanilla extract on the horses ear will repel gnats.
    I have not tried it but I hear it works a lot.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Garner View Post
    We get a lot of customer reports that vanilla extract on the horses ear will repel gnats.
    I have not tried it but I hear it works a lot.
    Thank you, Larry.
    I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Re: the management issue-- it could be, it could not be. My horses are on 20 acres and fly predators have done absolutely zero. I believe our problem is that there are two herds of cows within 1/4 mile, as is a composting facility that takes in garbage. It does not help that a pond adjoins one field, which seems to increase the horse and deer flies too.
    Fly management is about so much more than predators, or sprays, or one single intervention. It's about manure pickup and pile management, elimination of tall grasses, traps, baits, the proximity of water/wet areas, raking up old hay, keeping surfaces near feed buckets clean, taking advantage of prevailing winds, etc. etc. etc. And if one doesn't know what species of fly one is dealing with, it's very difficult to select the proper traps, baits, etc. Management of stable flies is different than house flies is different than deer/horse flies, etc. etc.

There are some good publications out there, usually published by extension/university pest control departments. Easily Googled--my favorite is at home on my PC or I would link it here.
    Click here before you buy.

Vanilla is cheap, and excellent from Mexico.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Fly sprays are definitely not meant to be the only solution to managing the bugs. I would suggest a fly sheet. My horses use Saratoga Turnout Sheets from Saratoga Horseworks they are lightweight for the hot humid summer days and keep the horses bug free and happier. They even offer exercise rugs in the same material so you can ride without having bugs bite your horse!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!