The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doggie doors - in the wall?

So I've got a house under contract and am planning what needs to be done. Back yard needs to be fenced and optimally I would like to install a doggie door. Trouble is, the doors to the back yard are of the French variety. I would like to replace them at some point, but not sure what with. So currently there is no door in which to place said doggie door. I saw at Home Depot yesterday a doggie door suitable for wall installation. Does anybody have this configuration or what would you suggest? Way out there option is to extend the deck and add a door in the family room that would take a doggie door...

Sounds vey doable if it wouldn't interfere with things in front of the wall. Also would depend on where your studs are for where it could be placed. Also, wiring, etc would impact it so you have to try and figure out if anything was in the wall.

Guess it would also depend on what the outside material is. If it's siding you probably wouldn't have too much trouble but not sure how it would work if you had to go through brick or stucco.

Home inspection is next week, so I'll check out outlets, etc. It is siding outside so not going through something hard. I'm thinking in the dining room between the french doors and the kitchen cabinets. I know adding a people door in the family room would be between 2 outlets, so there would be electrical considerations in that endeavor as well!

unless you have wiring or plumbing it should be no problem. wallas are usually just studs and insulation, covered by drywall and sheeding, a reciprocating saw will make short order of that!

What I always wanted when I had dogs was an attached dog house with doggy door to the house and of course access to the yard. When the doggy door is lockable you have a good way controlling access to the house. (I am contemplating putting a cat door in the garage. through the wall)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My current dog door is in an exterior wall. I built a ramp to the ground using 3 2 X 12's and plywood screwed down. The dogs can hit the dog at a run (although I placed it about 8" above the floor) and go right through. I like a ramp because it's easier for older dogs. It works well for me.

StG

Just remember that there is wiring in places other than where the outlets are. Also check into radio-controlled dog doors. There's a sensor on the door and on the collar, the door only opens when the dog approaches with the collar on. Helps eliminate wildlife visits and dog doors are excellent, easy access for people up to no good. I love dog doors for convenience, just stay safe! And congrats on your new home!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Shouldn't need a ramp at this point as there is deck on the outside, so just a hop through. I'll research some other "lockable" options as I was looking at a large size in case Ms. Corgi gets a bigger buddy Luckily, she already knows how to use a door from learning at a friends.

I put a hole in my house for my dogs!
    I have a doggie door in my bedroom wall that goes to a run.

I used a Hale door. Check out their website - lots of info.
    Here it is in action:
    http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0573.jpg

And from the ouside:
    http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0572.jpg

We have this door and we love it: http://www.hitecpet.com/powerpetdoors.html

I'm sure if you google it, that you'll find pictures and get some great ideas on installations and what they look like (try Google Images). I vaguely remember a Southern Living (either that or Sunset magazine) of a larger doggie door, and the owner installed it in a kitchen cabinet, so they could lock the inside part firmly, but I do remember they framed the inside part, similar to a door jamb.

There are also other possibilities with replacement of one side of the French door with a solid wood or thick plywood side, and cut the doggie door in that-if it's 36" wide, then if you move you can use it in a new house also, and if you need a larger size, then you can just get a bigger doggy door, and cut the hole bigger. Make sure you get a type that locks when you're traveling.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We have an in-wall doggie door next to the french doors in our dining room. Works fine, it's low to the floor for the convenience of our dogs and the cat (who uses it just fine). Only issue is all the crap they track in when it's wet or muddy outside, so I have a nonslip mat on the inside that soaks up the worst when they first come in. We recently replaced the old unit with an entirely new one using the same hole, no problems. It was an easy job.

When we replace the existing crappy French doors with better ones, I hope to also replace the dog door in the wall with a panel as JanM describes.

Fenced yard and dog door are great conveniences; I can't imagine having dogs without them living as close to the road as we do.

Good luck with the house!
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also have a Hale doggie door installed in my wall under a window. It has held up very well and is lockable. Haven't had any animal intruders yet. I believe that they make one that can be installed in french doors in place of some of the window panes. The company also can install it for you. I highly recommend them.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Our dog doors get hundreds of uses per day. We found out which ones last, and which don't.

Get these: http://www.plexidors.com/

You can google for competitive prices, but like most real quality things, the price is not cheap. They sell every replacement part, but so far the only part I've needed was the weatherstripping after 5 or 6 years of use.

Ours are built into the walls. I used synthetic decking for the surround and entry through the walls, because we have really thick walls and I had to make them myself. The door is on the inside wall surface.

Thanks everybody! Definitely sounds doable and am off to research

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Our dog doors get hundreds of uses per day. We found out which ones last, and which don't.

Get these: http://www.plexidors.com/

You can google for competitive prices, but like most real quality things, the price is not cheap. They sell every replacement part, but so far the only part I've needed was the weatherstripping after 5 or 6 years of use.
    I have been tempted by these. We have a Hale and a Security Boss double flap through doors in the house, and several in the kennel, but do have to replace torn flaps periodically. I am not sure even the largest size is big enough for big male Irish Wolfhounds with very deep chests and long legs. The other question I have is what happens if the dog changes it's mind halfway out, can they back up without getting pinched? But the durability would be wonderful, so dislike having to replace flaps.

Something to consider, OP, is whether your dogs tend to barrel out the doors. Ours sometimes hit the doors full speed, and that contributes to flap tearing. Just visited someone who had barriers the hounds had to go around to go through the doors, that tends to slow them down. You can imagine having 185 pounds of galloping momentum can be hard on a door.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    I have been tempted by these. We have a Hale and a Security Boss double flap through doors in the house, and several in the kennel, but do have to replace torn flaps periodically. I am not sure even the largest size is big enough for big male Irish Wolfhounds with very deep chests and long legs. The other question I have is what happens if the dog changes it's mind halfway out, can they back up without getting pinched? But the durability would be wonderful, so dislike having to replace flaps.

Something to consider, OP, is whether your dogs tend to barrel out the doors. Ours sometimes hit the doors full speed, and that contributes to flap tearing. Just visited someone who had barriers the hounds had to go around to go through the doors, that tends to slow them down. You can imagine having 185 pounds of galloping momentum can be hard on a door.

If this is the case you can make sure the door is placed close to a fence (since it will already be going out to the deck) - therefore the dog will have to control their speed going in & out because the fence will be directly in front of the door. Our whirlwind of a setter used to hurl in and out of the dog door until we moved and it had to go on a door that led to the narrow porch. Fence solved all rushing in/out, lol.

I would definitely consider getting the locking system ones. I have a friend who has a fenced in backyard - ideal for a doggie door, you'd think. However she lives in downtown Durham, NC and would not even consider it for safety reasons.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Layla is not a rusher. She's been known to merely poke her head out to see what everybody else is barking about when we visit with my friend's 3 other dogs So, the saloon flap type might be an issue there. Of course if we get her a buddy, that is an unknown, but there will only be so much of a running start due to the depth of the deck.

I've got both rushers and pokers.

The doghouse attached to the house with the door on the side would conceal the dog door pretty well, plus provide a deterrent to the rushers.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    I put a hole in my house for my dogs!
    I have a doggie door in my bedroom wall that goes to a run.

I used a Hale door. Check out their website - lots of info.
    Here it is in action:
    http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0573.jpg

And from the ouside:
    http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0572.jpg
    I have a similar setup, but without the ramp and there's also a chain link cover on the kennel. I have a bike lock on the gate, so I leave the dog door open 100% of the time without having to worry about intruders of the human or critter kind. Yes, it would be easy to cut the chain link with wire cutters, but then they'd have to climb in through a dog door that is clearly for a large dog.

I'll try to remember to post a picture. I used Hale as well. They just cut a hole in the brick.

What we love about ours (http://www.hitecpet.com/powerpetdoors.html) is that it only opens in reaction to the pet's collar, so no other critters can get in and out. It's three-way lockable with the push of a button, so it we can let them out but not in, in but not out, or close it entirely. We've had it two years now and had to replace batteries in the collars a couple times but so far, so good. Our dogs are 60 and 75 lbs and get through it easily. I could see it being trickier for really big dogs.