The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse boots for my barefoot and stone bruise friend, recommendations?

Hi. I have never used horse boots before and I want to give them a whirl on my boy as he is barefoot and is on his second stone bruise of the season. Has has been barefoot for two years and I have never had any other issues with him except the occasional stone bruise.

I am thinking of investing in a pair of boots for his front feet. Does anyone have any experience with boots for their horses and make recommendations? I want to do some ringwork, trail riding and light jumping (2- 3 ft tops). Do boots hold up to that?

I found this article which was helpful, but I would prefer someone with experience to weigh in here.

http://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots...aspx#&panel1-1

Thank you!

Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

We're transitioning my horse to barefoot right now, and I mostly have him in the Easyboot Glove. We've done some glue-ons as well. I haven't tried other types of boots because the gloves fit him well and stay on. He's the type to remove anything put on him and to easily get rubs - and they don't bother him and he can work well in them. I'm lucky that we have an EasyCare in town which just makes life easier. The folks are pretty knowledgeable, and if you call for help you probably end up getting the same folks I talk to in person who can help you figure out what you need.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Also - the CEO of EasyBoot and several employees do endurance. Including winning Tevis in them. I think that's harder than what most of us are going to submit our horses to!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

i like the easyboot edge and the insoles. BUT my horse gets bruised and the vet said keep shoes on him. B/c he gets them even in the field. Good luck to you.

I have Cavallo hoof boots for trail riding my barefoot guy because a good chunk of our trails are rocky. I like them but feel like they are too clunky to do any real work in. I have tried working him at home in them but could definatley feel a difference in his gaits. I also have easy boots for him but his hoof shape is such that the easyboots move around and come off easier. But many people have good luck with easyboots and if the shape is right they can be a great boot.

Beyond using hoof boots I have had a ton of success using Durasole to toughen up feet. I've used it on numerous horses to help get them comfortable going barefoot and have been very happy with the results.

After I move (old barn has lots of spiky gravel, new barn has almost no gravel), I'm considering pulling her front shoes (already barefoot behind). I'll keep an eye on this thread too

I've used Keratex and will start using it again once we move.

Also, you can call and talk to the Easy Boot people. They gave me a lot of advice before, but I decided I'd rather leave the front shoes on with the amount of gravel she has to walk on between her pasture and the barn.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Easyboot gloves, especially if you're going to be cantering and jumping. Wouldn't even consider anything else. The Cavallos linked above look way too bulky for serious work. Remember that you really don't want to be adding a lot of bulk (delays turnover) or weight to the foot.

You can glue on the gloves and leave them on as you would shoes, or you can put them on/take them off for each ride (you'll need the ones with the gaitors if you don't want to glue them on.)

I have been using them for over 2 months now because my mare needed more than barefoot and I don't have a farrier I trust to nail on without screwing her up. My trimmer guy came out and fit her for the gloves, showed me how to put them on and take them off (a small rubber mallet helps a LOT to get them properly seated in the beginning) and sold me the boots.

He's coming out tomorrow to put the glue-ons on her. She's been doing just fine with the other version, but he recently went to a clinic and thinks Dove will be an excellent candidate for the glue-ons, so he's using her as a guinea pig and only charging me cost. I'm not one to turn down something like that, and it will be interesting to see what sort of gains we make in her feet with them on full time.

Also, once you get size figured out, you can get KILLER deals on the Easy Care website, in their bargain bin:

(Hmmm...won't let me link directly to item, but gloves with gaitors start at page 5)

http://www.easycareinc.com/externallink.asp?C=XBAR

If you can find someone with experience to come out and fit them for you, that would likely be advisable. And far easier than sending boots back and forth once or twice while you try to get the right size, especially if you've never used them before and aren't quite sure just how they're supposed to fit.

Oh, and with regard to your question about wear--they wear very well. I was riding about 5 days/week, have recently dropped to 2-3 times a week (got a new job, still trying to work out riding schedule) and there's very little wear on the boots. My trimmer said my horse would likely grow OUT of the boot before she wore through the boot. She is a foot rehab project, so we see (and get excited about!) a lot of changes in the feet from cycle to cycle.

We will see how the wear is when she's got them on full time. That is an unknown to me at this point.
    Last edited by Simkie; May. 22, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

I like Renegades!

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I like Renegades!
    Hands down winner...Renegades! They are super easy to put on and take off and best yet comfortable for the horse with no rubbing.

http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I've looked at the renegades before. I'll have to check their site again, but does anyone know their return policy? One of the things I liked about the easy boots was how willing they are to work with you to get the right model and size.

Can you jump in renegades?
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

If you go with the gloves I concur with Simkie that you need a professional fitter. Mine ended up 2 sizes less than based on his hoof measurements. They have to fit very snug to stay on. I like the Cavallo boots (simple and sport), but the renegades intrigue me (if I didn't have about 8 pairs of boots I would order some!).

All that being said, it might pay to have x-rays done of his feet to see if he has sufficient sole depth to be truly comfortable bare foot.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Default thumbs up for jumping with Renegades

emirae1091,

I just did 2 pace events and a hunt in Renegades and had a lovely time jumping. I don't like anything (boots, shoes, barefoot) on wet grass/roots but that's my "general" aversion, nothing to do with Renegades.

I love Renegades (I really ought to do an ad for them).

I have cranky wrists and sometimes none-functioning fingers and I can manage them.

Noted! Thanks

I emailed them to ask about their return policy. My main problem is that I'll need more than one size... One for the fronts when the shoes are freshly pulled and therefore they're just 'shaped' and going to be a bit long, and then a smaller size (probably the next farrier visit!) once she's been barefoot for a bit and worn some foot off and can actually be trimmed.

Fortunately for me she channels the Holsteiner side and NOT the TB side when it comes to feet.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP! I didn't think a separate one was necessary, but didn't mean to derail yours.

I have renegades for my mare and just bought cavello simple boots for the gelding. We just do trail stuff, so... I like the renegades, the cavellos aren't here yet, but looking forward to trying them. Everybody around here seems to like them. The easyboots did not stay on my mare, but then she has weird feet. The glove ones sound interesting.

Renegade will let you try them out and return if they don't fit, even if they've been used. They're super helpful in fitting, and since the boots are modular, there are lots of adjustments you can do to get a good fit (longer or shorter cables, larger or smaller heel captivators, cutting back the sole of the boot for round hooves, etc). I would suggest calling first vs emailing, you'll get a faster response, then you can email them detailed hoof photos for fitting advice.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Awesome! I'll give them a call later. The issue, like I said, is that she'll change sizes going from freshly pulled shoes and shaped but not trimmed to later on when they wear down and get actually trimmed.

I wish they had a rent a boot program.

I agree with someone above who said Easyboot Gloves for faster work and particularly jumping. They are the best boots I've used to date and much prefer them to the kind that come up over the coronet band. They are much less likely to rub, very lightweight, and stay on very well. Easycare has a 30 day return policy that is hard to beat.

I have used Renegades but I like the Gloves better for traction but see many who prefer the Renegades. I do believe either of the two boots are the way to go and definitely avoid the types that come up over the coronet.

2 members found this post helpful.