The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frog-belly white and I like it: affordable technical fabric shirts with sleeves?

So, it looks like this may be another record hot and humid Michigan summer arriving. Being both melanin-deficient and sensitive to heat, I'm on the hunt for some good warm weather riding shirts that will wick sweat but keep the sun off. A standup collar would be great for keeping sun off my neck, too (short hair).

I tried out the Kerrits Ice Fil sleeves this weekend. They actually worked pretty well (kept sun exposure down and weren't too warm) but they are white and looked like hell after a couple hours.

I will likely pick up a couple of the Kerrits long-sleeved shirts in the much more practical silver, but wondering if anyone had suggestions for other "non-equestrian" brand technical fabric shirts (since putting a horse logo on things generally increases the price 300%)?

Has anyone tried the Riding Sport technical shirts from Dover? I hated the show shirt I got from them years ago, so reluctant to try again...

I just got back from "Dicks Sporting Goods" and bought about 8 shirts for riding in the summer. I rode four *well, long lined 2.5 miles behind one* yesterday in the hot sun and decided it was well worth the money. I got a bunch of tank tops in the moisture wicking material for about $20-25/each and two short sleeved polo type tops in the wicking material for about $30. I know they have some long sleeved stuff too... The runners, golfers, etc also need to stay cool. And I find it's cheaper than the horse specific stuff. I would head out to any sports academy type store and go shopping The long sleeved stuff may be a little tougher to find but I bet you can.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought a couple of long-sleeved shirts from the exercise clothing section in Target for under $20 each. Other similar stores may have some as well. They have sun protection in the material, but do not have stand up collars.

They can still be pretty expensive from outdoors stores:
    http://www.summithut.com/categories/...s=all&gender=W

theclymb.com has a couple items which would work for you right now - I suspect they'll have more as the summer goes on. If you PM me your email address I'll send you an invite to the site out of purely selfish reasons, because I get a discount if you sign up through my recommendation. ;-)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Try stores like Bass Pro or Cabela's -- they sell fishing shirts that might fit your needs. REI or similar stores might have products for hikers and outdoors(wo)men that would be plainer than the fishing shirts.

I've never liked the fit of those Riding Sport tops. I really like golf shirts. Moisture wicking and so comfortable. I recently went to Marshall's and TJ Max and found a bunch in fun colors for $10-20 a piece. My favorite brand is Calway, and they had a few on clearance for $10.

I'll second the recommendation to go to a sport-supply store (or even check the sports wear at Marshall's or TJMaxx) to find long-sleeve versions affordably.

I wouldn't recommend the RidingSport shirt if it's anything like the (2-3 year old) one I have. Thicker and hotter than it needs to be--not much improvement over a pique polo.

I have a few Outback shirts with the icefil material, one in long sleeve, and I like them. They're all polo style, so a collar to protect the back of my neck. They're helpful if there's any breeze and if it's not too humid. Got a screaming deal on them when Outback was having a sale.

Since I'm in FL, it often is stiflingly hot and humid. For those days, I actually prefer my cotton poplin long-sleeve shirts from Lands End. The woven (rather than knit) fabric stands off the body better, and they provide sun protection with minimal weight. If there is a breeze, it goes right through the (usually damp by then) cotton and cools beautifully.

I've found some nice long-sleeve sun shirts at Sports Academy (I think they were Columbia brand), in a woven material, but they were $80 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post

Has anyone tried the Riding Sport technical shirts from Dover? I hated the show shirt I got from them years ago, so reluctant to try again...
    I have it and I really like it. It's mesh on the underside of the arms, but it hasn't ripped on me yet. It does have a color and comes in colors besides white.

Stores like REI, Sierra Trading Post, or a company like GoLite that cater towards backpackers and hikers will probably have a lot of options but can tend to be a bit pricier. Sierra Trading Post normally has some good sales. If you are by a computer a lot, Steep and Cheap always has good sales but it's a timed thing and you are never really sure what all's going to be on that day. They also have an app.

Btw some of the shirts at REI also have bug repellants built into them which is super nice.

I have this shirt from GoLite: http://www.golite.com/Ws-Manitou-Lon...12-P46779.aspx
    It's very light and I'v loved it hiking.

You're going to laugh at me but get thineself to your local walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-No...ndingMethod=rr It says cooler weather, but it's 92% polyester, and not what I would consider warm at all.

I wear these Ts all the time to go riding, they're light, breatheable, and actually pretty flattering:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-No...-Pack/22881201

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    You're going to laugh at me but get thineself to your local walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-No...ndingMethod=rr It says cooler weather, but it's 92% polyester, and not what I would consider warm at all.

I wear these Ts all the time to go riding, they're light, breatheable, and actually pretty flattering:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-No...-Pack/22881201
    I second the Danskin tee's I wear them all the time to work out in. And do yard work. Quite nice.
    And as for Michigan, The farmers almanac says Cool and wet.
    But it is michigan, anything is possible. Like 30s at night this weekend,
    LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Grasshopper, Which Lands End shirt has the woven fabric you are referring to and with sun protection? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    I tried out the Kerrits Ice Fil sleeves this weekend. They actually worked pretty well (kept sun exposure down and weren't too warm) but they are white and looked like hell after a couple hours.
    I've seen these on closeout all over the place so you might check with Kerrits as well as hunting around on the net ... note that unless a shop is paying Google's rate, they won't show on the Search Results, so it may be worth your while to contact Kerrits for a list of dealers if they don't have any left in your size.
    Kerrits Ventilator line is also pretty nice in the heat.

I buy almost all my tech polos at Sierra Trading Post these days.

Well, I'm going to stick with my Kerrits. I've bought three and I wear them for horse and work. Kerrits fit me, an average AVERAGE not skinny minny rider, they have that neat pocket I really like and use, they are made by horse people for horse people. I wear mine HARD all day to throw hay, mow, ride, school, work in them, and hand wash in cold water in the sink, and good to go -- best $26.99 I've ever spent.....On sale you can find them under $30 all over, in all kinds of colors, and you know, Kerrits sponsors a lot of eventers and eventing competitions. Last time I looked, I've never seen Walmart, Le Fash, etc., etc. sponsoring riders and competitions. Just sayin'. Dance with the one who brung ya.....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a Kerrits shirt - don't know the model, but it is that silky polyesterish stuff, with mesh under arms. It feels like I'm not wearing a shirt, even on the hottest days. Which is a bit disconcerting!

I have 2 riding sport shirts and they are not nearly as cooling - as someone else mentioned they are even a bit thick. I still like the way they fit, but the Kerrits wins for not making you feel hot.

YEAR OLD THREAD FOLKS!!!

And summer is here again, so no harm, no foul...

6 members found this post helpful.

And there is always new stuff that might work even better. Ideas?
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Check out the sunshirt review thread in the H/J forum:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...e-Your-Reviews
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!