The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat Food for kitty with UT issues -- other than SD and free of corn/byproducts

I have a neutered male cat that is not getting blocked, but gets irritated and strains. I give him Uroeze and some canned food recently, but have a number of cats and would like to just use a dry food if possible for all of them. I feed good stuff - TOTF, Blue Buffalo, the Tractor Supply grain free, etc. Prefer to use a comparable brand that isn't over the top expensive -- any suggestions other than SD -- which is crap and I just can't do.
    TIA
    PennyG

Not a food suggestion , but give your cats only distilled water to drink. The one vet where I used to work is a cat fanatic, and she swears by it. She claims this is as equally important as the food. And its cheap , so worth a try. Good luck with your kitty.

There is really no dry food that is going to be good for your bladder issue cat. Canned, even inexpensive canned, is better than the most expensive dry food.

2 members found this post helpful.

Have you thought about buying a fountain for your crew to encourage more water drinking? I don't keep it running all day (in the hopes of saving the motor and expense for filters), but plug it in while getting ready to leave for work in the morning and again when I get home from work for an hour or so. Water consumption has gone up judging by the litter box.

ETA: I have the Original Drinkwell with the 50oz additional capacity reservoir attachment.

One of my cats had p.u. surgery & we switched them to royal canin urinary tract health. It is also rx & it is expensive BUT the kittehs they love it. I also read here that kitty coseqin helps U/T problems. As the above poster said, wet is really the way to go.

Dealing with the same issues with one of my girls and have made the switch to wet food as everything I've read says it really is best for them.

A very comprehensive list of catfoods and their ingredients etc. is here http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

I've been feeding Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free) and they like that alot...

Agree with others re: distilled water and fountain for water. And do NOT feed fish varieties of foods except occassionally... too many risks. http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...rous-for-cats/

Other places to try for more info to help your kitty:
    http://www.littlebigcat.com/

http://www.catinfo.org/
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

thanks for all the responses and information - I guess he'll get wet. The distilled water is a great idea - we are on a well and that could be an issue also. I rescue and have alot of cats -- all from them needing a home/place to go. We actually even have a "cat room" that is heated/air conditioned and has a ceiling fan with outdoor access. I've had some issues with others before, one even had his penis removed and a plastic one put in, but he actually had a genetic defect and his urethra (I think) was too narrow. Flip is pretty special -- the vets gave him to me after he flunked out being a clinic cat for biting clients, LOL. He is a great guy -- just wasn't a good setting for him. He sits in my lap at length to be cuddled and follows me around talking. This is always such a great source of good information!
    PennyG

Feed raw!!! Not over the top expensive. I pay about a dollar a pound for meat and feed whole prey model. And if its just cats, they don't eat a whole lot anyways. The raw meat really helps them stay hydrated since cats don't drink near what they should. Pm me if you would like more info. My cat had horrible UT problems previously and is now very healthy and exceptionally happy.