The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GEORGIA-Owner charged with cruelty, horse's have nowhere to go

And of COURSE he's breeding more!!

http://www.wtvm.com/story/22285350/t...d-with-cruelty

TALBOT COUNTY, GA (WTVM) -
    It's a battle that Talbot County residents along Highway 208 say they've been complaining about for years. They say John Weaver can't afford to feed his horses, so he lets them starve to death.

An open investigation is being conducted by the Department of Agriculture, and deputies from the Sheriff's Office have just picked up the case.

"We got a report from a citizen that he had some horses in question that were malnourished. They looked bad. We started an investigation. I can tell you that warrants were signed, and a suspect has been charged and arrested," said investigator Guy Grimsley.

John Weaver turned himself into authorities Thursday. He lives across from the street bearing his same name and faces 36 counts of animal cruelty for allowing his horses to fall into poor health.

Last week, a hunter driving a four-wheeler through the woods alerted police after seeing a dead horse on the edge of Weaver's property. That hunter also witnessed a colt being eaten alive by buzzards, too weak to fight them off.

Besides the 36 horses that deputies observed in poor condition, there are many more that remain in Waver's care.

"When we went out there were somewhere around 80- in the 80 range," said Grimsley.

Authorities wanted to seize all the animals from Weaver's property, but they ran into a problem. There are no local rescue agencies with the capacity to take in that many horses at one time.

Weaver has since bonded out of jail and local residents say they've witnessed him trying to move the horses to a different location, away from the eyes of authorities.

The courts have yet to schedule a hearing for Weaver and he may be waiting until August for a grand jury. But if there is any good news, officials say that with new grass growing, there may be hope for these horses until at least the end of the summer.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Looks like this isn't the first time they've been in hot water. http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/...al-report.html
    Then again they also allowed Pride's Generator to be bred over 2,300 times so I doubt they've ever been the epitome of ethical owners.

Another prime example of over breeding. Asshats!

Anybody know people in the area? If a few people can step in to take just a few horses that would be better than nothing. This makes me so sad. Those horses are just going to keep breeding and starving to death
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I posted this on the facebook Georgia COTH page. Maybe someone will have a connection to a rescue?

It's way past time that people who do stuff like this were recognized as MENTALLY ILL and unfit to own ANY kind of animals. The situation speaks for itself. I don't give a rat's ass about "rights" or "property," you FORFEIT all that when you let things get to this kind of in extremis MESS.

There need to be tougher laws. WAY tougher. I personally would favor licensing breeders, with a provision for inspection. This should NOT be allowed to go on!

3 members found this post helpful.

OK our state agricultural dept takes horses that are seized. And so have they been notified? I have called them many times about smaller #s of horses, and they always have someone out within 24 hours.

That's a rural county. But the Atlanta TV stations love animal stories, and unless there's a big murder in Atlanta, the stations will go right out and take video and put it on the air tonight!
    WSB, WXIA, etc. I used to live in Atlanta and those guys always, always went out for me on dogs and cats and horses. As well as giving me lots of tips on my murder cases. I love tv reporters!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Let's stake him out in the field...."That hunter also witnessed a colt being eaten alive by buzzards, too weak to fight them off.
    "
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    OK our state agricultural dept takes horses that are seized. And so have they been notified? I have called them many times about smaller #s of horses, and they always have someone out within 24 hours.

That's a rural county. But the Atlanta TV stations love animal stories, and unless there's a big murder in Atlanta, the stations will go right out and take video and put it on the air tonight!
    WSB, WXIA, etc. I used to live in Atlanta and those guys always, always went out for me on dogs and cats and horses. As well as giving me lots of tips on my murder cases. I love tv reporters!!!
    On Facebook, several rescues are trying to re-home them. Hopefully, they can before any more pass away You can go to the Iron Gait Percherons-Rescue on Facebook to see the updates.
    Last edited by spotnnotfarm; May. 22, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: more info

1 members found this post helpful.

Any chance of at least organizing a gelding clinic to remove the balls of a few? Any chance of the rescues "rescuing in place" IE document, asses, and either euth or adopt out the rest? I know it's rural and I can attest to how hard it is to coordinate anything when the closest vet is over 100 miles a way but the state has to be able to figure SOMETHING out!
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I posted this on the facebook Georgia COTH page. Maybe someone will have a connection to a rescue?
    They've been posted on the TWH and NWHA Facebook groups where I am a member. I don't doubt they are on others, too.

Authorities wanted to seize all the animals from Weaver's property, but they ran into a problem. There are no local rescue agencies with the capacity to take in that many horses at one time.
    That's bullshit! I'm sorry - as a humane investigator, there may not be a single group that can take them, but there are national organizations that can step in, coordinate and provide funding. Caveat: they must be *INVITED* by the investigating agency and have a MOU signed and in place.

If someone in that area wants to PM me with the agency (and preferably an actual contact person), I have reached out to my national contacts and start that ball rolling.

Iron Gait Percherons is assisting - here is the status update from their FB page.

TALBOT COUNTY UPDATE:
    Hello - my friends Michele and Angie went to the farm yesterday and met with Mr Weaver. They are both mounted police officers and have been rescuing for more than a decade. What they found was quite different from what they expected. There is a lot more to this story than what was reported. He is not giving/selling the horses to KB. He is definitely in over his head with his herd size, but he is willing to let them go to good homes. There is neglect, but does not appear to be malicious nor cruel. The horses could use some groceries, hoof care and dental care. We have a great opportunity to help in this situation. I will be going down to his farm to meet with Michele and help with getting some of the weanlings halter trained, and grooming and lice treatment. This does seem to be a situation where the media distorted facts.
    For those not familiar to the story here is the link.
    http://www.wtvm.com/story/22285350/t...d-with-cruelty
    We have collectively started a Chip In fund to get EquiLix tubs out in the pastures for the remaining Talbot County Horses to get some extra nutrition in them and Mr. Weaver has agreed to try it. Volunteers on the ground have confirmed that the initial 18 have all been spoken for and are going to safe homes. More broodmares will probably be let go soon and volunteers will likely be asked to help in that process when the time comes. For the ones still there it would be nice to get them going. They do have plenty of grass and hay but they are playing catchup with their weight and this sure would help. Donations can be made via Pay Pal to Iron Gait Percherons Rescue with their email: help@igprescue.org (please annotate Talbot County Horses in the message section) OR you can donate directly to Farmers Feed in Montgomery AL by calling (334) 288-6999 and telling them you'd like to make a donation for the "Talbot County Horses" Please share far and wide and THANK YOU!!
    There is a new group started to help the Talbot Horses. - https://www.facebook.com/EquineRescueGroupsOfGeorgia -
    If you can help please go to this link and post what you can offer.
    Also...
    It is my understanding to Please call the dept. of ag. - 1-800-473-0119 and let them know that you can offer help....they will provide you with the contact number to make arrangements to pick up horses.
    If anyone has confirmed a pick up of any of these horses can you please message me and let me know how many you have helped?
    Myself and several other Ga. rescues are trying to keep track of the number of horses helped. Those who do not get help by private individuals. We are going to try to divide them up so we can all together get the rest of them out of there.
    Thank you
    help@igprescue.org
    Last edited by 2horseygirls; May. 22, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

Bumping this one up. The story of that poor colt made me throw up in my mouth a little.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I don't give a rat's ass about "rights" or "property," you FORFEIT all that when you let things get to this kind of in extremis MESS.
    I see extremes like this as being ripe for abuse. Look at what happened to Marsha because Canterbury was on a prime piece of real estate.

Perhaps we need the farm equivalent of the series "Kitchen Nighmares." where an expert breeder is brought in to clean up the place and make it a workable situation. Televise it so that the breeder wannabes can get a clue as to how it is supposed to be done.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Perhaps we need the farm equivalent of the series "Kitchen Nighmares." where an expert breeder is brought in to clean up the place and make it a workable situation. Televise it so that the breeder wannabes can get a clue as to how it is supposed to be done.
    OMG wouldn't THAT be great!! "If only..."
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have forwarded this to Animal Rescue Corps, who is touch with HSUS (I know, I know, but eye on the horses - if they can help, fine) and ASPCA regional directors. Will keep you posted.

In my area when a herd of 73 horses were seized they moved them to a temporarily unused fairgrounds where they could be worked with. Everything was coordinated by the local SPCA.

Eventually they were moved to foster homes around the area - where some still are 3 years later. (This is the Beth Hoskins case - a person that needs to lose the case, lose the horses, and get some mental help. BTW, the case has dragged due to HER delays, the SPCA has wanted this over for a long time).

Christa

Can the horses be shipped?
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406