The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Cute Non-Horsey DH Story

Last week the farm where I help look after a pair of Arabians opened up the summer pasture. When I went to feed them one day last week, as I was prepping their food I heard what I thought was thunder (it was raining). Turned out it was just the "kids" cantering in from the back pasture because they'd heard me drive in. Told DH about it that evening. The next day I was headed out to feed while DH was home for lunch. He said, "wait for me" "For what?" I said. "I want to see them come running in from the field" I told him I couldn't promise they'd be all the way out in the field again but he came anyway. Sure enough, they were out in the back field and came cantering in in all their white Arabian glory, heads up and flag tails flying.

Today, since DS had my car, I asked DH to drop me off at the farm on his way back to work from lunch, and I'd walk back home after (it's only 10 min walk). We get to the farm and he gets out of the truck too. I said, "aren't you going to work?" He said he wanted to see them come in again. And then he said, "can I call them?" I told him they really didn't need to be called, they'd probably heard the truck and figure out I was there and come in like they usually do. He said, "yeah, but can I call them?" Sure, I said - just whistle. He whistled and their heads came up from grazing and in they cantered again. I don't know if I've ever seen a 58 year old man so thrilled. It was very cute (but don't tell him I told you so!!!!).

30 members found this post helpful.

Aww, thats sweet! My DH is non-horsey as well but still likes to help out some. He likes to lead them in at supper.

That's so cute! My husband is non-horsey, too. I love it when I catch him sneaking out to the pasture to play with the horses.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

That's a sweet story- Now that he's had the arabian beauty experience- I wish I could have you guys over so he could call in a draft horse- you can really feel the Earth shake.

4 members found this post helpful.

Awww, it's the little things in life that really sweeten it! But yes, definitely don't tell him he's adorable, lol.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Love this! What good horses to oblige.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    What good horses to oblige.
    I'm pretty sure the gelding actually thinks he's a dog (constantly stealing anything he can reach and carrying it around in his mouth, etc), so he's a pretty obliging sort.

That's a pretty cute story. Thanks for sharing.

Nice story! Who wouldn't get a thrill watching a pair of arabs showing off? I still like to see my 30 year old Arab/qh and her offspring, my 11 year old gelding showing off and snorting in the pasture when they're feeling good. My non horsey husband will often stop what he's doing to watch their antics too.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Awww....that's so cute; especially that HE finds it so rewarding.
    Ride like you mean it.

Dawww Thanks for the smiles!! I've told my SO similar stories and he just looks at me like "so what? of course they came you had food." completely apathetic to my utter joy

1 members found this post helpful.

AWWWWWW. Sounds like something my BF would do. But then, he was upset that he's not allowed to snuggle strange horse's faces.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    That's a sweet story- Now that he's had the arabian beauty experience- I wish I could have you guys over so he could call in a draft horse- you can really feel the Earth shake.

We all love it when my Clyde-X and Percheron mares come thundering in. It registers on the Richter Scale
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    That certainly would be something to experience!