The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plain As Bay Eventing in Oklahoma...lost everything

I saw on The Horse that they have lost all their horses. On their fb site, they have a fund set up at Randall Weidner catastrophe trust" or PayPal at "rwquarters@yahoo.com".
    I don't know if they are located at the Orr Family Farm or at a different location. One report says they lost 100 horses. If they are separate from the Orr Family Farm, then that means over 200 horses have been killed.
    The pictures on their fb page are just heartbreaking:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/PlainAsBayEventing?fref=ts

This just makes my heart sick...how incredibly sad.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is just so unspeakably heartbreaking.

Eventing nation had an article about them... http://eventingnation.com/home/thoug...-eventing.html
    They apparently lost all twelve their horses, horse trailer, truck, all tack etc and their apartment. It's just heartbreaking.

Has anything been set up to send donations/Equipment out to her? Im always skeptical about donating money- but i would be happy to send items to help her rebuild when the time is right...
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

I'm sick
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Two horsey writers have set up a book sale with all proceeds going to Plain As Bay Eventing:

http://www.retiredracehorseblog.com/...ng-fundraiser/

What purple said. I don't even want to see the photos, my brain - I just can't let it go there. I cry for them, the lost and gone, the people who hurt right now, the special ones who will do the clean-up. Huge tragedy, it will hurt forever.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Saw the article about the Orr family... With pictures. It was on my phone so I thought the big pile was just the barn or what not... After opening the picture... It was a huge pile of horses... I was sick...

I saw that too...I wish I had not. I cannot fathom it. So sad.

met Lindsay (Sky) last December in Ocala and we became friends. She is just the nicest person. Like all of us, she adores her horses. I'm still having a hard time comprehending the insanity that Sky and Randy are going through.

They posted a list of things they need last night but honestly, it is everything...from hoof picks to brushes to saddle pads to eventing vests and helmets, girths, bell boots polo wraps... It's hard to send things like helmets and vests because you don't know what size so I'm going to send gift certificates and hope that they can fill in what they need with that.

Also, I think someone asked if they were at the Orr Facility...They were at a portion of the Orr property called Celestial Acres which had several large racing barns.

They are planning to move on and rebuild their lives.
    Their new address will be:

Canterbury Park
    c/o Randy Weidner and Lindsay White
    1100 Canterbury Road
    Shakopee, MN 55379

I hope you all didn't mind this post- I haven't known Sky for long but she has been so nice to me in the short time I've known her. If I can do anything to repay her kindness and help her out- I will.

I feel sick and so sad for them. I have a lot of tack sitting around and I think I will ship some of it to them. Not that it fixes anything but I hope it can make moving forward slightly easier.

Hopefully I can get a care package together this weekend. Does anyone know if large pony and cob sizes items will be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    Hopefully I can get a care package together this weekend. Does anyone know if large pony and cob sizes items will be useful?
    I'm not sure at this point. They lost all of their personal horses as well as the young racing stock. Randy is a quarter horse race trainer and Sky helps Randy and retrains racehorses for second careers... Being that they have young QH's I would assume that cob sizes would be good but, frankly, I'm sure they will be able to use or repurpose most anything.

Thanks most of my stuff is smaller, and needed new homes due to getting a new horse 3+hh taller than my pony, so I'm glad I can send it somewhere useful.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesBuster View Post
    met Lindsay (Sky) last December in Ocala and we became friends. She is just the nicest person. Like all of us, she adores her horses. I'm still having a hard time comprehending the insanity that Sky and Randy are going through.

They posted a list of things they need last night but honestly, it is everything...from hoof picks to brushes to saddle pads to eventing vests and helmets, girths, bell boots polo wraps... It's hard to send things like helmets and vests because you don't know what size so I'm going to send gift certificates and hope that they can fill in what they need with that.

Also, I think someone asked if they were at the Orr Facility...They were at a portion of the Orr property called Celestial Acres which had several large racing barns.

They are planning to move on and rebuild their lives.
    Their new address will be:

Canterbury Park
    c/o Randy Weidner and Lindsay White
    1100 Canterbury Road
    Shakopee, MN 55379

I hope you all didn't mind this post- I haven't known Sky for long but she has been so nice to me in the short time I've known her. If I can do anything to repay her kindness and help her out- I will.
    Thank you for posting this. The amazing people at my barn are putting together a donation and care package for them. My heart hurts every time I think of what they are going through.

Do you know if they could use an extra saddle? I have an old one that I am not using and would love for them to have if they can use it.

Will they be permanently moving to MN?
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Oh Gosh. I don't know how to answer these questions...

From conversations with Sky I suspect that they usually train up north in the summer and come to Florida for the winter (like many professional horse folks). I know Sky said that Randy has family in MN so I'm sure that had a weight in making the decision to go to that particular track next.

As far as the saddle. You could send it and ask that if it doesn't fit or isn't useful for them to send it back (???). Sky had an old collegiate that she loved...

I feel very uncomfortable answering these questions because I don't want to make anyone to think I am over-stating my friendship with them. On the other hand I know Sky is crazy busy right now and stressed beyond anything I can imagine and I didn't want these questions to go unanswwered.

I will just say that I am ABOSULTELY 100% POSITIVE that they will appreciate any help (money/items/prayers/good thoughts) that we can share with them now. They are good people (I base this on my friendship and by how much their animals loved them) and I know that whatever support we can give them now will be put to good use and towards the purposes of getting them back on their feet again.

2 members found this post helpful.

My trainer mentioned that she was planning on getting together a box or so of stuff to send so I went and looked in my house and found everything from spurs, bridles, breastplates, running martingales, haynets, girths, snaffle and full bridles, reins, stirrup leathers, chaps, 1/2 chaps, boot pulls, saddle pads, and even some white show gloves. I'm giving the list to my trainer to see if any or all are reasonable and then will ship to the MN address. I could send them my training level event horse (OTTB), but I retired him several yrs ago and he's 21 now so I doubt they'd really want him. I suspect he'd still go out and try but I do not want to part with him. He really does have a forever home and there's a spot in the back pasture where I plan to eventually 'plant' him along side of a few of his old buddies.

If they decide to stay in MN I can also send them at least one heavyweight Rambo TO. My horse does not need 3 heavyweights.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Default hello

Hello this is Lindsay(sky) white, a very good friend of mine said she had seen some post on this forum, I just wanted to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers words can not express home much they mean to Randy and I. As you all may know we lost all our horses and everything but the clothing on our back the car we drove out in and our three small dogs. Are hound rusty is still missing and we are frantically looking for him. I will try to answer all post. Thank you all so very much