The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Found a home, thanks!

Free to approved home (and I will be picky), 17.1hh 1997 bay Registered Holsteiner. He is working consistently at 1st Level, schooling 2nd/3rd. He was in full training from September to February, but has only been ridden a handful of times since then. He has a very solid dressage foundation, is forward and responsive to aids, and is well-schooled in lateral movements. He clips, bathes, ties, loads, and stands for farrier and vet.

I have bought him in June as a safe, vice-less show prospect, and he has bolted twice under saddle with me (in July and again in February). I have no desire to deal with a braindead bolter and I don't have the skills to retrain him. He is a well-schooled dressage horse with big forward warmblood movement. I am ready to move on. The 2nd bolt was caused by a spook and was very out of control and dangerous and I got thrown into the arena wall at a gallop. He is not for the faint of heart.

Video and more pictures are available on request. I do not want to see him go to slaughter, or wind up in another home where he is too much horse for his rider. He would not work for an inexperienced, beginner rider or someone getting back into riding after a break. He is a true 17.1 hands, and very solidly built so please consider that if you are a smaller rider.

He is serviceably sound, but will probably flex off on a different leg every time you flex him. He also has some age-related vision changes that affect his detail vision, which make him spooky at night and not a great candidate for extreme trail-riding. I also have never jumped him, so I can't claim anything about his ability to jump.

Edited to add: He found a new home with a NH/dressage trainer this weekend, so he is no longer available. Thanks!
    Last edited by birdistheword; May. 28, 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post
    Free to approved home (and I will be picky), 17.1hh 1997 bay Registered Holsteiner. He is working consistently at 1st Level, schooling 2nd/3rd. He was in full training from September to February, but has only been ridden a handful of times since then. He has a very solid dressage foundation, is forward and responsive to aids, and is well-schooled in lateral movements. He clips, bathes, ties, loads, and stands for farrier and vet.

I have bought him in June as a safe, vice-less show prospect, and he has bolted twice under saddle with me (in July and again in February). I have no desire to deal with a braindead bolter and I don't have the skills to retrain him. He is a well-schooled dressage horse with big forward warmblood movement. I am ready to move on. The 2nd bolt was caused by a spook and was very out of control and dangerous and I got thrown into the arena wall at a gallop. He is not for the faint of heart.

Video and more pictures are available on request. I do not want to see him go to slaughter, or wind up in another home where he is too much horse for his rider. He would not work for an inexperienced, beginner rider or someone getting back into riding after a break. He is a true 17.1 hands, and very solidly built so please consider that if you are a smaller rider.

He is serviceably sound, but will probably flex off on a different leg every time you flex him. He also has some age-related vision changes that affect his detail vision, which make him spooky at night and not a great candidate for extreme trail-riding. I also have never jumped him, so I can't claim anything about his ability to jump.
    By any chance, you've noted the eye issue that may be causing the spook but have you checked for kissing spine? Might make a difference in finding this boy a home.