The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stall fans??

Do you have one of the specifically designated farm stall fans, such as the ones Farmtek sells or do you use a regular box fan from lowes/home depot and just wall mount it? I have a shed row barn so the only place to hang the fans will be inside the stalls. The box fans are a ton cheaper though, so I am trying to fugure out if they are safe enough to put directly in the stalls.

box fans from lowes, $14 last time I bought them, I replace them every ~2-3 years. I tie them to my stall fronts with baling twine (classy I know...)

2 members found this post helpful.

Box fans from Lowes, strapped to the outside of the stall grates with a bungee cord which is only slightly classier than baling twine. One of the horses figured out how to use her upper lip to undo the bungee cord, so her fan is zip-tied.
    Alis volat propriis.

Box fans that are mounted above the aisle wall and angled into the stalls.

Here is a photo standing inside the stall looking up.

HAHAHA! I tried Lowes style box fan mounted to outside of stall (vertical metal bars) with baling twine last year. Horse ate the fan. (At least a good part of it - made of plastic). I am probably going to shell out for a horse proof one made of metal this year.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I bought one of the Farmtek ones three years ago to keep a June newborn foal cool and I was amazed at how much more air it moved than the box fans. It also is safer because the motor housing is sealed. I bit the bullet and bought them for the other stalls too. They are so powerful that I usually only run them on medium. You do need some headroom to hang them safely in the stalls.

1 members found this post helpful.

Holy crap those things are expensive!!!!! I cannot justify paying that much for a fan, Mr. OR would kill me. Are there any other options that are a tad more affordable? Maybe I could try another Lowe's special and hang it up high?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I use the high-quality metal ones with the adjustable stand/frames like this. But I remember mine being in the $50 range, so perhaps these are smaller than what I bought...? I like these because they're super movable and hangable.

I'm able to hang these in the upper corner of the stall, angling down. I don't have metal bars on my stalls; the walls are only 4-6' tall and open-air on all 4 sides.

I am really paranoid about fire so I did pony up for the enclosed motor--I bought 3 of these
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Airmaster...8984/202351117

FWIW they move a TON more air than the typical box stall fans and are doing well on year 3, but I was traumatized by the cost as well.

I mounted mine in the aisle (just outside the stall, between the rafters so they really don't hang down much) but it probably depends on your barn construction.

I use box fans. I make a loop thru the top corners of the fans (around and under the corner of the box) with fencing wire. Then I permanently attach an s hook to each wire and permanently attach a small gage chain (length of chain adjusted to suit the setting) to the other part of the s hook. Then at the top of each chain, I permanently attach an s hook. Put eyelets in the wood and hang up the fans. Makes it easy to put up and take down. If the fans get too dirty, I hose them off outside on a very breezy day and let them thoroughly dry for 24 to 48 hours.

We plug them into a gfi outlet...paranoid about fire.
    Ride like you mean it.

Box fans are not rated for running in dusty horse barns and are a big fire risk. I used to use them too but not since I found out that they are dangerous.

I did end up paying through the nose for Farmtek ones but they are excellent and I've had no problems with them for 4 years.

Lasko box fans. Buy them each spring, toss out at end of summer/fall. If you put them by the mailbox, humans will pick them up in an hour or so. Wonder how they explain the horse names on their fans? Just got ours at Home Depot for $16 each. They are a little cheaper elsewhere, but had to get some other items so bought them there.

Due to one of us warmbloods eating fan cords, they have to be hung upside down with the cords going up the outside of the stalls. You can pay a little more and buy the Laskos that are more weatherproof.

my dad being my dad went out and bought a box fan from lowes as soon as I mentioned getting fans lol. It was already hanging outside the stall when I got home today. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow of how he set it up. Not sure if this is a long term solution, but it may do for this year....as we JUST built the barn this year and I acquired a second horse so I am broke broke broke right now. I like that it is outside the stall so it is less likely to get as dusty and overheated. Our plan is to only hang them when we need them and take them down and box them when not in use. We wont run it at night as I am super paranoid. We will have to take them down if it rains which is a pain. My dad is around all day to keep an eye on them otherwise. I do think that I may spring for the Farmtek ones next year....

I got 12 volt attic fans and connected to solar panel.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...81645174_o.jpg

These have been up for about five years and run like champs! Maybe not quite as high volume as outlet-powered ones, but good enough to keep them cool.
    friend of bar.ka

Default Enclosed motor fans ~ move MORE AIR SAFELY !~

Enclose motor fans move MORE air and * Safely ~!~

Patton fans if you can still find one ~ worth the extra
    $$$$ ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I had the farmtek fans in the last barn, they were VERY effective and almost eliminated bugs, but they ended up being very noisy and required an electrician to install.
    For the new barn I will try the air kings.

I just bought one from Tractor Supply for around $80. Haven't mounted it yet. I hope it helps. I'm in Texas, and I have a Fjord.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I use box fans. Keep them for about 2 years. Works for me.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

FWIW I found the farmtek fans deafening. The box ones don't move as much air but I like that they are so much quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I just bought one from Tractor Supply for around $80. Haven't mounted it yet. I hope it helps. I'm in Texas, and I have a Fjord.
    Cindy, I have one of those hanging under my overhang. It works very well. A little loud but worth it.

Houdini, being worried is OK. My husband takes our box fans down a couple of times each summer and cleans them out so he is sure they are safe.

We have closed motor ceiling type fans that run pretty much all the time and the fan under the overhang is closed motor. These box fans only run part time and are well maintained.