The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You guys all rave about Pikeur but they just don't fit me, sigh. Every once in a while I come across a screaming deal, try them on, and put them back on the rack sadly.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Well, that's a lot of info to process!!! Thanks!

I won't do Tuff Riders. The ungodly pair that must die are Tuff Riders and I HATE THEM.

Glad to hear the Pipers are good! They're really good looking, and the price is right.

I had a pair of Pikeurs, but was never wild about them. That being said, they were old (bought them at the Tack Exchange for next to nothing because they were PURPLE) and I'm not sure they were well loved prior to me. I could never make the seat not feel like sandpaper.

Can anyone offer a Pikeur : Eurostar comparison?? I inherited a couple Eurostars years ago and wore them down to see through. It took years. If Pikeurs have similar magic powers , great fit, and long wear, I'll join the chorus recommending them to YB...

omg I can't say enough about Pikeurs, lol! They are a miracle of modern science, IMO. BTW I get them for about $150.00 inc shipping from this lady in Spain who sells on Ebay, she goes by El Dragon Verde, and has a huge inventory.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    Can anyone offer a Pikeur : Eurostar comparison?? I inherited a couple Eurostars years ago and wore them down to see through. It took years. If Pikeurs have similar magic powers , great fit, and long wear, I'll join the chorus recommending them to YB...

I loved my old Eurostar but they are different...some of it is the cut (and I think both are flattering) but really they changed the material they use. The new Pikeurs are a pretty modern fabric. There are a TON of different fits in Pikeur. I mean completely different fits. Some don't fit me and some are like a glove. The ones I like I've never found in a store here in the US....and ordered them online. I'm not sure what they use on the seats but I've never had them feel like sandpaper....they are very comfortable.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I have a pair of Pikuer that are at least fifteen years old and still going strong. I buy them on eBay...used they are quite reasonable. I would rather spend $75-100 on used Picueres than new anything else.

I love my Ariats. The Heritage is in your range. I am particularly liking the full circuit ones (but they are more expensive). Pikeurs have traditionally not fit me well, but I got a pair of Pikeur Cindy's off of ebay and they fit perfectly, so now I search for them on sale/ebay

Also, check at http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/CO/CLAFSB.htm (there are a couple other pages with clearance breeches also) http://www.classicsaddlery.com/Breec...lseatplaid.htm AND http://www.horze.com/Full-seat-breec...,en_US,sc.html
    Last edited by scubed; May. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I like my Pikeurs just fine, but they are nowhere near as comfortable as the Nathalies I have. I know, I know, I go on and on about this brand, but seriously, their breeches are amazing. Durable, stylish, flattering, and extremely stain resistant. So worth the price!

http://nathalieequestrianapparel.com/

Check into the Royal Highness breeches - I love mine. I'm no full seat expert, but these wear really well, are a decent weight, hold their shape, and you can pick them up for $50 on eBay.

I am another who hates the Tuff Riders...I wanted to love them for the price, but they are like wearing diapers!

I love love love my Kerrits Microcords, no zippers I know, but super comfy, cool, flattering and just enough grip. I really love the FITS, but they DO NOT hold up to very basic use...

My expensive dream breeches are Cavalor Champions in the Microfiber...love the cut and feel of those, still saving. I got a pair of Gersemi Sigyns as a gift, I also love them, although the rise is right on the edge of too low.

YB, it's important to note that when people recommend or don't recommend a whole brand, it can be misleading! There are significant differences in fit, cut, and material in each of the different models available, and hardly anyone knows enough to recommend one over the other, even at tack stores.

So, my best advice is to try on as many as you can, ride in them and see what you like...then take careful note of the model and brand...also, if you get to FL or Dressage at Devon (not sure where else), there is a tack trailer called The Horse of Course...Beth there will fit you in the dozens of brands and models she has...downside is she carries more expensive brands, upside is you will figure out what you like and don't like!

I will end with another shout out to the Kerrits Microcords also, the Irideon Cadence are super nice, but the fullseat portion tends to pill while my Microcords are going strong after 6 years of beatings
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

Re: Microcords. My old boss gave me a BEAUTIFUL pair in the most perfect shade of yellow a couple of years ago. They lasted maybe 6 months...and were only used for a few shows and were very well cared for. So, I'm leery.

I do realize fit and cuts can vary wildly. I have a decent idea of what will work and what won't. I will never buy Tuff Riders again, though. Good lord, that was awful. Haven't ever wanted to cover my ass up more!!! Now I remember why they were buried in the back of the drawer! Sometimes there's a reason things are inexpensive.

I purchased a pair of the Grand Prix Horze breeches back when they were having those monster sales. I love them so much that I will be happy to buy more, at a higher price. You can still get them less than $100 though. I'm only waiting because I'm in the process of a successful diet overhaul and am actually losing weight.

I have a pair of Ariat full seat's I got years ago that I use for showing, though they are super comfortable and lightweight. Unfortunately, it was a discontinued line or I would have bought more. I haven't tried any other Ariats, but if they are similar, I'd be thrilled.

I also am another lover of the ribbed tuffrider, but mostly for kneepatch.

I have some Riding Sport's from Dover, but they aren't the greatest despite being comfortable.

When my body say's it done changing for now, I'm going to be buying more Horze breeches and hopefully finding some steals on Pikeur on ebay. Nice full seats make a big difference.

Hey, I never said TuffRiders were lightweight or comfortable... just that they are reasonably priced and tough. (Very tough.)

Now, the Inverness problem that accompanies the diaper-butt... another matter altogether
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I have one word for you: eBay. It is truly your friend. I have literally paid retail once for a pair of breeches. Even then it was only $40. But since then I buy on sales, TOTD, and eBay. I have two pairs of Tropical Riders (deerskin and lambskin, full seat and extended patch both with zippers) that I got for less than $40 shipped each! I can score half off or better on Kerrits. I have missed on a few pairs of Pikeurs that went for around $50 just because I forgot to bid.

When I can trust myself to not buy, I will try breeches on to get a feel of sizing so I can watch eBay for them. I normally have a rule to never try on if I don't intend to buy in case I fall in love. But sometimes I need to research.

I also love the new Tredstep Rosa's. I got a pair of the knee patch and want the full seats because the fabric is just amazing. I'll admit the fit is a tad odd, and the fabric shows to bunches of the pockets probably because they are a tad too tight. I don't think I could have sized up even if the seller had the size up. I got those bad boys for $89.95 at Rolex and one of my favorite purchases because I can't figure out how to get them filthy! Trust me! I have tried!!!

I also like my Kerrits for the stickability. I have tried to fall put of the saddle in those a few times. Between my Oberist and those breeches, I have yet to fall out. *knock on wood*

I still want to try Pikeurs and a few other leather seated breeches as well as Kerrits Supremes. I have yet to find those at the price point I wish. Same goes with Goode Riders, which I have tried on and almost paid retail for but could not justify the price at the time even at 15% off... I'm cheap. If it's more than $50, I probably won't buy... Lol