The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Let's discuss something lighter and more frivolous! Let's talk FULL SEATS!

I've had a firm, firm stance against full seats for a few years now, but this past week I've started coming to terms that I may need to grow as a human and possibly change my mind about them....my saddles are suddenly feeling very slippery (can't decide if all my britches are wearing out and getting slick, or if I'm cleaning my saddles way more often thanks to Bensmom's soap!). On top of that, We're suddenly finding some seriously expressive gaits on Toby....and I don't know if I can sit his trot anymore

So, I dug out a couple of pairs I still own and have given them a whirl. While the ride is better, both pairs are unflattering (especially the one god awful pair that need to be never, ever worn again!).

Looking for recommendations on well priced, good looking, not ungodly uncomfortable full seat options. Things I like in a pair of britches- front or side zip (NO PULL ONS), slash pockets, low or medium rise (regular rise meets the bottom of my bra), flattering, hard wearing fabrics. Also, under $100 ($120 if they are REALLY nice). I prefer grey, navy, or brown instead of beige for every day. Not wild about black.

I like the looks of the SP Piper britches. They seem to have decent reviews. Anyone try them? I'm also strongly leaning toward the Romfh Internationals in dove grey for showing (full disclosure, those britches are what started this train of thought...I LOVE that color and can't find it in knee patch!). Any others I just investigate?

YB, I don't know if you like TuffRider breeches, but I got two pairs of these for christmas and have liked them. They did take some getting used to, but now that I AM used to them, I do like them a good bit. I have a VERY hard time justifying spending big dollah-dollahs on schooling breeches, and they fit the bill.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

I love the Kerrits Microcord. They are pull-on (i know, read for comprehension), but they have that slimming panel and belt-loops, so look like real breeches. Don't have the contrast butt thing (which I don't like), do have slash pockets. I LOVE the rise on these breeches. She of the short waist knows what it means to have a waist at the boob line! I usually see them for ~90. Less if you catch them on TOTD or something.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I've had a firm, firm stance against full seats for a few years now, but this past week I've started coming to terms that I may need to grow as a human and possibly change my mind about them....my saddles are suddenly feeling very slippery (can't decide if all my britches are wearing out and getting slick, or if I'm cleaning my saddles way more often thanks to Bensmom's soap!). On top of that, We're suddenly finding some seriously expressive gaits on Toby....and I don't know if I can sit his trot anymore

So, I dug out a couple of pairs I still own and have given them a whirl. While the ride is better, both pairs are unflattering (especially the one god awful pair that need to be never, ever worn again!).

Looking for recommendations on well priced, good looking, not ungodly uncomfortable full seat options. Things I like in a pair of britches- front or side zip (NO PULL ONS), slash pockets, low or medium rise (regular rise meets the bottom of my bra), flattering, hard wearing fabrics. Also, under $100 ($120 if they are REALLY nice). I prefer grey, navy, or brown instead of beige for every day. Not wild about black.

I like the looks of the SP Piper britches. They seem to have decent reviews. Anyone try them? I'm also strongly leaning toward the Romfh Internationals in dove grey for showing (full disclosure, those britches are what started this train of thought...I LOVE that color and can't find it in knee patch!). Any others I just investigate?
    I have all 3 levels of the smartpak fullseats (piper, bradley, alexus) and while the alexus is definitely the best, the pipers are second and I do really like them.

If you like the way Romfh fits, you will like the way the pipers fit. I also wear the new tredstep #3 full seat in the chocolate color for schooling. I specifically chose those to school in because I know they come in white for showing-- and my other pair are the romfh dove grey.

I like fullseats. I don't particularly think they impart that much more grip (that is what sticky spray is for...) but I find them more comfortable for whatever reason.

I was super stoked when the pipers came out in beige with teal trim, because my colors are navy, gray, and teal so it really put the spit shine on my xc outfit

I would love to hear of a reasonably cool option for full-seats.

I've had 2 pairs of Tuff Riders (with zip) and they have withstood a lot of abuse - used one pair when I was a working student, would wear them all day, ride 3-5 horses, bathing, general farm work, stains (lots of stains) all came out in the washing machine. Throw them in the dryer and they were good to go. Those lasted forever (10+ years??) until I spilled coppertox on them - that didn't come out.

I have Kerrits full seats (sit tight?) for showing and they make me sweat like a pig, plus once you're sweaty, they grip your skin and are not very comfortable. Keeps you secure for your big show - but would never want to school in them.

For showing I have a pair of On Course full-seats in white, with zip and pocket, they are reasonably lightweight and comfortable.

On the other hand I have some Kerrits knee patch pull-ons in a very lightweight fabric (it shows all the lumps & bumps on my body though) which are so super-comfortable that I use them for jogging and biking too.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

The Ovations on TOTD today are not bad--they have coolmax in them and very strong/nice outer fabric. I know I have gotten them for cheaper (the side-zip version, anyway) elsewhere though.

Ok, so neither of these will fall under $100, but hear me out because both brands are often on sale.

First, I cannot say enough great things about the Nathalie Digby Show White Full-Seat Breeches. I'm slender, but there is some definite junk in my trunk if you know what I mean . These breeches are the only white full-seats I've found that are both flattering and non-transparent. Seriously, they look so great on that if it wouldn't be weird, I'd totally wear them out (I know, it would be weird). But, I'm not kidding...extremely flattering, durable, and the Swiss Schoeller fabric is awesome...dirt and soft drinks just wipe right off. In my opinion, they are well-worth the price. I doubt I'll have to buy another pair for years, and I wear them pretty frequently (and after a year, still no stains and no darkening of the full seat patch!). I'm intrigued by some of their schooling breeches, too, but so far, I've only been able to justify the cost for the show breeches. However, at the end of each season, their breeches go on sale for $150 - 199. Definitely something to watch out for!

http://nathalieequestrianapparel.com/main.sc

Another breech I love that is also quite flattering, and somewhat less expensive than Nathalie breeches, is the Select Dress Champion. I have these in navy and brown, and they are really stylish! Very comfortable, and they look good on. They're also made from the same Swiss Schoeller fabric.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/select...es-10398p.aspx

Agree with the Tuff-riders as an option. love mine. I do rec'd smart-slims (riding spanx basically) as the light colors show skin "imperfections," (read: fat dimples that I only noticed after seeing dressage lesson pics where my butt was squished...blech. The dark ones don't.

I am not a fan of the kerrits fs, the older model I think, because they squeaked and the fabric is weird-- kinda like workout pants. I would also buy the irideons b/c they are fab too.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

The Kerrits sit tites squeak and I hate them. THe Microcords do not, and are pretty cool to boot.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

I like the Kerrits sit tights (I have a great picture of being held in the saddle by one sticky butt-cheek as Baxter took a jump sideways), but I LOVE the flex tights. So comfy! And just sticky enough! I seriously just gave away my other schooling breeches since I got these, and I really want another pair to keep nice for shows...

If you really, really must have zippers, the Ovation breeches are nice and they have a few different fabrics and seat styles.

The only full seats I like are deerskin ones - the others for me don't provide any grip, only stiffness. I try to just keep them lasting a very long time to amortize the price over many years.

I also find that when I need a little extra grip, that using the Oakwood leather conditioner makes the saddle just a bit extra tacky for that first ride.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have recently fallin in love with the kerrits white cross over breeches!!!! They cost me enough, but well worth the money!! Very very very light weight with enough grip with out making you stuck in the saddle!!!
    No Worries!

Another vote for the Tuff Rider full seats! They wear like iron, are reasonably priced, and they don't stick to you on hot, humid summer days.

http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-L...-pid-2686.html

Light weight, moisture wicking, look great and $65!
    I ride in their knee patch version. I don't care for the full seat, but I love the light weigh fabric.

I only wear full seats now. I've just ended up buying more high end as there is such a difference. Just is taking me forever to slowly collect.

But of the more affordable choices...Romfh are not bad. Irideon used to have a front zip in their Cadence that is very flattering...but they do not come in Grey (at least not that I've seen).

But now, I tend to just buy Pikeur. They are worth it and last longer...but they do cost a lot more. I like the Meredith cut but there are several different ones. http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/..._Meredith.html
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

HKM jeans! My new favorite everyday breeches, love them

I got a brown Horze pair last year that are super. http://www.horze.com/Horze-Ladies-Ac...,en_US,pd.html They're pretty generously cut, so if you're in doubt, I'd round down. They also have zip pockets, which I LOVE on schooling breeches so I can stick my trainer's check somewhere it won't get melted

You're not going to like my answer YellowBritches...

Once you go pikeur everything else feels like a straight jacket. They are *gorgeous* breeches worth every single penny. Honestly. I got a pair of dove gray ones and initially they were only for special occasions (clinics, shows)... now I struggle to not wear them. And I've given up. Because it does not matter how icky I get them, they wash up and look new each time!

I got the Cindy's because they're good for shorter torsos (i.e. low rise but with enough coverage to not have plumber butt). I custom ordered mine from Amira for about $200, waited the 2 + months for them to come in and absolutely adore them. Just sayin'...

The above being said, the Horze breeches are surprisingly comfortable too, though I accidentally got them in the wrong size and they're a bit snug for my liking.

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Mouse&Bay;6992194]You're not going to like my answer YellowBritches...

Once you go pikeur everything else feels like a straight jacket. They are *gorgeous* breeches worth every single penny. Honestly. I got a pair of dove gray ones and initially they were only for special occasions (clinics, shows)... now I struggle to not wear them. And I've given up. Because it does not matter how icky I get them, they wash up and look new each time!

I got the Cindy's because they're good for shorter torsos (i.e. low rise but with enough coverage to not have plumber butt). I custom ordered mine from Amira for about $200, waited the 2 + months for them to come in and absolutely adore them. Just sayin'...

QUOTE]

yup...that's what happened to me.

Also a lot of others that I know. One friend get's a pair for shows as a her christmas gift from her parents each year and then makes her old pair part of her schooling ensemble (and back up for shows). Problem I have is I LOVE some of their browns and other colors that are not good for showing. ugh.

Like buying a really nice pair of shoes (running or otherwise)....you just can't go back!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Pikeur is the best, hands down. I have exactly one pair LOL that I use for showing.

For everyday less than $100 these are my favs: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...at/p/X1-35681/

I like Romph too but the cut isn't right for my body shape.

If you can find these on sale they are awesome: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/FULLSEAT/FLFSB.htm Comfy and flattering!