The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bunny safe hutch disinfectant?

Well, Carl the rabbit has moved inside. We purchased a fairly large hutch, which, for any rabbit not urinating in ten different directions, would be perfect. However, while we have a litter box in the hutch, he uses the litterbox AND also continues to go...everywhere else. This is fine, I don't care, it's got a removable tray I can clean. At any rate, I would like to clean the hutch with something bunny safe...I've read I shouldn't use typical household cleaners on the surfaces he touches - any other alternatives I can use to freshen up his house? I do rinse out the tray regularly - this is more to do a more thorough cleaning/disinfecting.

Thanks in advance!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Hot soapy water for starters, rinse, then follow up with a vinegar wash (straight from the container is fine) rubbed on the surfaces. Rinse well and let dry in the sun.

Nolvasan. Its the blue disinfectant you see in spray bottles at the vets. They use it to wash off exam tables between patients. Its affective but gentle. It also doesnt have a strong or offensive odor. You can find it online someplace like Jeffers.

If Carl hasn't been neutered, that will definitely reduce his stinky spraying.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Both "Nature's Miracle" liquid & "Zero Odor" (both available at big-box pet stores) are safe & work well.

Yes, neuter him and scrub that sucker clean so he isn't smelling another bun bun and marking
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Plain old vinegar works awesome. I use it to clean our bun's 'toilet' and it removes pee stains better than anything else I've tried.

Vinegar, remove any bedding from anywhere else in the cage, and clean up any messes as soon as he makes them.

1 members found this post helpful.