The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default rain gear for riding in the rain

i've finally found a new boarding stable that is closer to me! woohoo! i will be REALLY sad to leave the old one, but it's just too long of a drive.

this new place doesn't mind if we ride in the arena while it's raining, so this opens up more days that i would be able to ride! with that being said, does anyone have recommendations for good rain gear?

i have some waterproof pants i've used at shows, and of course a rain jacket, so i think i'm covered. however, princess mare HATES getting rained on (yet she loves playing in the water. go figure.) i have dover's waterproof quarter sheet, but i was wondering if there was a (full body?) rain sheet that could be used during riding that would protect the saddle as well as her. i've also see the waterproof saddle covers that you can use while riding, but i wasn't sure if they were any good. i thought maybe a saddle cover plus the quarter sheet i have would be the easiest, but i'm sure she'd love something that covers her neck and shoulders as well.

TIA!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Muddy Creek raincoats.

That's awesome! I wonder how posting trot would work with that though
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I have a Barbour jacket that is mid thigh and has a flap to cover the front of your saddle. It works pretty good to keep saddle and legs dry and is not hard to post in. I have a waterproof quarter sheet that I use as well.

Cool. That would be easier to find I think than a rain sheet for her that I could ride in.

Although, with Dover and Smartpak having a 100% satisfaction guaranteed return policy, I guess I could order a sheet and see if it works. I don't think those are that waterproof, and I assume I'd need a blanket surcingle because I don't think they have anything more than ties and maybe a tail strap.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rain-sheet/p/X1-24128

ETA: Centaur has one with stirrup holes! I wonder if that would work. If so, it would be what I originally wanted.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Rain/1793...ain-Sheet.html

I have the Cashel Saddle Shield cover and it works great. I was worried it might be slippery, but it isn't at all. Stays in place, keeps the saddle dry, and has lasted a few years so far. This is it: http://www.cashelcompany.com/Product...ProductID=9654

Over the years, the horses I've had that showed an intense dislike for being ridden in the rain, the issue wasn't related to their bodies getting wet so much as getting water on their face, particularly down the ears, which is exacerbated by riding into the wind/weather instead of away from (horses do much prefer to keep their backs to the weather). I've always just made 'em suck it up- can't visualize any sort of 'horse rain hat' that would solve their problem (they'd probably object more to the head covering, although it occurs to me that the ear plugs I recently acquired for cowboy mounted shooting would be helpful with the water in ear issue). A couple of years ago my mare backed the length of a field to get to me in the driving rain, then turned to face me so I could put the halter on and get her back into the barn.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I pretty much agree with Beverly. Horses are horses, they are supposed to live outside, and that includes getting rained on. I just could not see any horse comfortable being ridden in such a bulky & likely noisy rain sheet such as the one linked above. Either ride through it and convince her to suck it up or don't ride in the rain. You're just going to go through a lot of hassle and spend a fortune, even if only on shipping charges, for something that probably won't work. There's a reason those full body sheets have no reviews.

Look at the way horses stand in a field when it is raining and windy. They usually stand so the rain is not hitting their face/ears directly.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I have the Cashel Saddle Shield cover and it works great. I was worried it might be slippery, but it isn't at all. Stays in place, keeps the saddle dry, and has lasted a few years so far. This is it: http://www.cashelcompany.com/Product...ProductID=9654
    cool! does it actually fit jumping and dressage saddles? i know it says it does in the description, but that doesn't always mean it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    cool! does it actually fit jumping and dressage saddles? i know it says it does in the description, but that doesn't always mean it's true!
    I think it was a little tight on my dressage saddle due to the longer saddle flaps, but fit well enough, and never had an issue on my jump saddles. Mine are 16.5 and 17 size saddles, but plenty of room to go bigger for larger saddles too.

Good to know. My jump saddle is only 16.5 but the flap is pretty forward (thank GOD because I got it years ago and now wish it was a 17!). I've had issues with it with saddle pads. My dressage saddle is pretty standard.