A very good friend of mine bought her perfect horse last :week....perfect except she is the absolute one thing my friend didn't want- she's GREY!!! (Friend field boards so, she'll have her work cut out for her).
I've been half joking about getting her a grey horse gift/care basket (since her last horse was plain dark bay!). It will include:
An industrial size bottle of Dawn or Ivory (works as well as bluing shampoo, cheaper for every day use)
Cowboy Magic Green Spot remover
Baby shampoo (works well for grey faces, especially when they aren't great about their face)
Baby powder or cornstarch (good for show day dingy spot touch ups)
Any other ideas?
Seriously. Cutest little mare ever. And she is PERFECT for my friend! So happy she found her, even if she is grey!
as the owner of a gray mare, my perfect gift basket would include:
- Industrial size bottle of Quic Silver (the BEST shampoo in my extensive experience)
- Container of Oxyclean (great for tails)
- Tail bag (keeping those white tails up keeps them from getting so yellow/stained)
- Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover
- Eqyss tail spray--either the Marigold or Avocado one. Great for tails
- Clipper blades -- keeping legs/socks trimmed makes them stay whiter --clipping the whole horse works great too
- Sheet and lycra neck cover for shows
Nothing (in my opinion) looks more fabulous than a spotless, sparkling gray show hunter. But they sure are a lot of work......
Good luck to your friend!
A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...
The white spray-paint stuff they use on show cattle. AWESOME for that last minute whitening or for the stains that WILL NOT come off. Another nice trick is Blu-Kote in water, just until it's pale blue, sprayed over the horse after every bath. And a sleazy.
LOL - I love the horse in that video. He keeps looking back at the girl like WTF?
My horse would probably swish her tail once with that bag on it and freak out from the noise.
I have a little gray mare too. I have mostly given up on trying to keep her white. My only suggestion other than what everyone has suggested for shampoo is extra tail/leg straps for blankets and sheets. Mares tend to make a mess of those - I'm constantly butt washing during blanket season!