The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Like a hole in the head...

That's how I needed another horse. My husband has been out of work for almost a year and a half. I am about to lose my job. No lesson business to speak of. Book sales are non-existent. So why did I click on the "free tb gelding" ad on craigslist? Because I sold a tb gelding to someone from the town in the ad. And sure enough, it's my horse. Looking awful. Easily 500 pounds underweight and covered in scars. Didn't look like that when I sold him a year and a half ago. Turns out the girl that bought him from me fell on hard times due to job loss and sold him for less than she paid for him to a younger kid who wanted to event. Their "trainer" tried to cram this sensitive soft mouthed thoroughbred (he raced in a rubber snaffle) into a "dressage" frame and he started rearing. Kid gave him back to original buyer in horrible shape, underweight, scared, with huge scars on his withers from an ill fitting saddle.

My daughter took off work and spent the day cleaning out our spare stall and we hitched up the trailer when I got home from work. Went and got our Hammy. No idea what we are going to do with him, other than feed him up and start him over. He's in a pen by himself until I can go get him a powerpac (just did my whole herd with powerpacs last week!) We're keeping a full slow feed haynet in front of him at all times. Trying not to cry, and wondering how I can ever sell another horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default First ~ thank god you discovered him now as opposed to later ~ ((hugs))

Thank god you discovered your horse now as opposed to in another 30 days ~

((hugs))

Bless you for bringing him "home" ~

Jingles & AO everything settles down and life begins to be more comfortable for you and your family ~ house & barn ~ soon ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry 4corners, for you and for your Hammy....just breathe if you can (it sounds like it's tough to even do that). Jingles from IN that things change, and change fast for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Blessings to you and your family for getting Hammy back. I hope things turn around for you quickly.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

God Bless YOU!

You're good people, 4cornersfarm. I'm sorry this is hitting you at such a bad time, but, often, selfless acts like this have their own reward. I hope that things turn around for you quickly and thank you for not hesitating in going to get Hammy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    God Bless YOU!
    x2
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

What a relief for him that you found him and have brought him home. What a blessing in his life that he gets to return to your love and kindness. What a blessing to you that you found him and are able to nurse him back to health and happiness.

This would be my worst fear in selling a horse.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Bless you and Big hugs. i have been there.

So sorry for you, and him! But at least he's coming home.

Happy horse, happy you. I don't believe in Karma, yet... every time I've done something really good it has somehow enriched me. I hope this is your experience in this stressful time. You've done a wonderful thing.

I know you didn't ask for anything, and lord knows I can barely afford things myself, but if you need a dribble to get by, let me know and I'll send what I can.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Bedazzle, we are okay for now, living off our tax refund at the moment, and I am still bringing home a paycheck until the end of the school year. Hubby had a phone interview yesterday. Hammy already looks better, not sure how that's possible, but I think he was dehydrated and stressed from living out with no shelter and lots of bugs. He's a typical thoroughbred, happiest indoors, although he loves his stall with attached paddock so he can go out when he wants.

Anyone who would like to help, you can buy my book. It's out of print, but the electronic version is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Lead-Poisoning...g+J.E.+Seymour

Again, thanks for all the kind thoughts. I knew we had to do the right thing by this horse, and it's not often we get a second chance to do that.

Jingles headed your way, and you're doing the right thing. I would have made the same choice.

Book purchased. It looks good!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Good on you for picking him up. I bought a copy of your book - I can always use Kindle reading material!

Thank you for bringing him back home! I bought the book too. Prayers that interview with your hubby goes well and you'll find something quickly also.

Bought the book as well. Best wishes from my TBX (who much prefers her stall over extended periods of time outside) to your boy.

I don't have a kindle but want to help. Please pm me your address.
    Ride like you mean it.

I shared your story on my FB page and a link for your book. I hope it helps.
    Ride like you mean it.