The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Here ya go - plain, quiet, and kind of pretty:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/3818592151.html

At that price you can ship her to VA!!!

Even though she's been trail ridden, I'll bet she could transition to dressage with no problem. Really nice horse.
    That horse is within 50 miles of me. I'd go look at her for you if you want.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    OP, did you see this horse in the Giveaways forum?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...r-Fair-Hill-MD
    Gosh, this boy sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    That horse is within 50 miles of me. I'd go look at her for you if you want.
    Sonesta you are a trooper, but I regret to inform you that the horse is in Houston OHIO, a little berg out in the middle of nowhere, but definitely not in TX!!!

OP, you mentioned VA and NC - have you been looking in MD? I only ask because I very recently sold my much loved, perfectly sound, schooling 2nd/3rd beautifully, BTDT, uber sensible, gets along with mares/geldings/mixed herds, also trail rides awesomely horse so I know at least some are/were out there.

As an aside, I was much more concerned about a good home than getting big money, so I did accept a substantially lower offer than her asking price. I was happy to do so for the perfect home. So it might be worth bumping up your dollar amount to widen the net, and if you find the perfect horse you could either look for more coins in the sofa cushions OR politely and humbly see if you can pay something less than what the seller is asking. I was not in the least insulted at receiving a lower offer, because my buyer had come back several times so I knew she was really and truly interested in making a great match (not getting a cheap horse).

Then years ago I sold another perfect horse to a perfect owner who had had her eye on him for awhile and mentioned she'd love to have him IF I ever decided to part with him. Which I finally did, and again I sold him for less than "market value" because I was so happy with the home...

I guess my short answer is: Keep looking - they're out there.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Sonesta you are a trooper, but I regret to inform you that the horse is in Houston OHIO, a little berg out in the middle of nowhere, but definitely not in TX!!!
    OOOOPS! There is a Dayton, TX about 50 miles outside of Houston, TX. I thought that's where it was. LOL!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I live in Central Illinois. My 16 yr old horse has been off since November. Two tears in his ligament. He is getting the best care, was just checked and is 85% healed. So, has been on a VERY limited schedule.

I decided to get another horse. I mostly trail ride, play w/cows, and do a few endurance rides a year. I wanted young, QH w/a GOOD MIND & some cow.

A Cother actually told me about Pitzer's Spring Horse Sale. SO.... I decided to go to Nebraska the last weekend of April to Pitzer Ranch. I had been planning on going to the Colorado State University sale the same weekend. Figured, instead of 70 horses in Colorado, Nebraska would be closer and have 300 horses.

http://www.pitzerranch.net/horseSales.html

They had the program online, so I studied it. Wanted 6 & under, knew I didnt care if had roping training or experience. Of the 300 horses, I narrowed it down to about 50 horses.

It was the most EMPOWERING and out of my box thing I probably have ever done. Took a friend, and just did it. Was the longest trailer ride I have ever done, 11 hours there, 12 hours back.

I didnt just get one, but GOT TWO horses, lol. The type of horses you describe were a dime a dozen there. Ranch horses are exposed and have MANNERS.

I LOVE my guy!! He just turned four yrs old. Has the best mind. Doing my research before the sale, I found he had his own FB page before they consigned him to the auction.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...=photos_stream

scroll down and you will see him walking over a mattress. He is super steady, sweet and has a great foundation.

We decided to buy a resale horse. Since I had a spot open in my trailer, lol. We got a 5 yr old, well bred QH. Same as my guy, super sweet. I put him into training for 30 days. He loves to be outside, wonderful on the trail, but needs a tad more training in the arena, in case, someone would want to do showing.

W/teeth, shots, feet and training, I am probably in a $1,000, but I bet I can sell him for a decent profit.

The horses I saw in Nebraska were exactly what so many older trail riders would want where I live.

If I sell my other horse easy, which I think I will, I would be open to going again and picking up two more resale horses.

What you are describing IS a Ranch horse!! Pitzer has sales in the Spring AND Fall. Was a very fun experience! Again, I got two really great horses for a very good price.

300 horses may seem like a lot, but there were horses everywhere. In the arena, they were tied shoulder to shoulder on the fence. It was nice to see THAT many
    well behaved horses in one place.

It was a very rewarding adventure!! Maybe look into a Ranch sale. You could fly to one, if you find one, have it shipped. So, wouldnt have to take your trailer, like I did. I just researched the catalog and felt confident that I would get a horse.

Of course, bringing TWO home was kind of a surprise, but I think those types of horses are in serious demand here too. They hauled perfect, so was nice to have two instead of just one!!

Good luck!

ETA - I do agree that neither of my horses would be happy just going around in circles in an arena. They are used to being ridden outside. They really didnt like being stalled either, tho, after a few weeks, they did get used to it. I kept them in a dry lot, but put them in a stall w/a hay bag for awhile, then built on that.

They are in a pasture 24/7, but could be stalled now (after about a month), if needed. So, they can adjust, just needs to be a process.
    Last edited by Shermy; May. 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaLuna View Post
    I agree with the poster that said that horses these days rarely have the solid miles and training put on them. It's hard to find them. Good luck.
    So it isn't just me who thinks horses aren't as good as they used to be? I've been riding for 35 years, back then it wasn't hard to find a trained, quiet horse. I'm on horse number 3 who isn't working out either. All I wanted was a quiet, preferably gaited trail horse (but I looked at non-gaited) and you wouldn't believe what people are advertising as "quiet, gentle, safe". Another friend looked for a trail horse a year ago and was running into the same problems I had.

Keep looking, spend a little more if you can, and good luck. At least have better luck than I've had.

They are pretty easy to find in Utah. Heck, I could have sent you a lovely, quiet paint mare for free a year ago, owners just wanted to find her a home. Someone in the neighborhood snapped her up. In these parts, the only thing that sells above $3k are good rodeo horses (roping, barrel racing), reining and cutting horses, and dressage horses. Oh, and good mules. A person could make a living picking them up out here (including other western states) and selling them back east for east coast prices.

How about Florida? http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/3822899260.html

Pretty mare. I know nothing about her.
    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.

Keep looking! I always rode TBs, and recently switched to QHs because my son rides western. Many of them are bred to be quiet and they usually have a more docile temperment than a TB or WB. TBs and WBs are bred to be sport horses, and usually a little bit more alertness goes a long with the physical characteristics the breeders are looking for. I have two now, and they can go weeks without being ridden and you can just hop right on. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll find something!

Shermy, OMG I want to steal your palomino!

A friend of mine went to Wyoming for vacation to visit a friend who has a proper working ranch, and came home with two ranch horses!! They are The Best. I tried to buy one from her two years ago but she would not part with him. He is like a little sportscar, but can turn it on and off, and is as sane and sound and safe as they come.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    OOOOPS! There is a Dayton, TX about 50 miles outside of Houston, TX. I thought that's where it was. LOL!
    I didn't catch that either. I was tempted to have you go look at her for me!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

So it isn't just me who thinks horses aren't as good as they used to be? I've been riding for 35 years, back then it wasn't hard to find a trained, quiet horse. I'm on horse number 3 who isn't working out either. All I wanted was a quiet, preferably gaited trail horse (but I looked at non-gaited) and you wouldn't believe what people are advertising as "quiet, gentle, safe". Another friend looked for a trail horse a year ago and was running into the same problems I had.
    Nope. I think it's related to the specificity of horses nowadays and the lack of time people (and kids) have to put sweaty saddlepads on the horse. As our horse care methods have changed for the better (good), our treatment of them in other ways has become not so good (IMO). You don't get a horse really well broke by riding it 3 days a week around in circles in the ring. Or twice a year trail riding. It takes 10,000 hours for a person to become good at something, why do we assume that it's going to take a horse much less than that.

I don't particularly care for Clinton Anderson, but I do agree with this assessment from http://myhorse.com/blogs/horse-books...ly-well-broke/

"But, even more important, she’s also extremely well broke. That’s because of a key formula Gordon McKinlay, one of the great horsemen I apprenticed under in Australia, taught me years ago.
    “Clinton,” he said, “to get a truly broke horse takes three things: long rides, wet saddle blankets, and concentrated training–and you have to have equal doses of all three.”

The part about having all three in roughly equal measures is what many people miss. A lot of ranch horses get long rides–from sunup to sundown, even–but they’re stiff as a board in their face and body.

Plenty of show horses are soft and supple from all the concentrated training they get, but try taking one out on the trail… he’s likely to spook at everything.

And racehorses always come back with wet saddle blankets, but try to do something with them besides gallop, and you’ll see straight away what’s missing in their training.

So, it takes all three parts of the training regimen, each with the proper emphasis, in order for the formula to work best."

It takes time, and time is something people don't have at their leisure anymore due to the way our lives are changing, and if they do spend the time, they want to get compensated for it.

I'd definitely look at a QH type, as many of them are much more quiet naturally, but if you want a horse that is truly a PLEASURE to ride, I'd start with a horse that gets used and used often (ranch horse, lesson horse, etc.) and then add miles.

I also like this statement, on long rides:
    "What I mean by a long ride is one where you put some miles under your horse’s feet at all three gaits–walk, trot and lope. You won’t accomplish much in terms of training, no matter how long the ride, if you just amble down the trail at a walk.

Ideally, take these long rides once a week, or at least every other week. Go with another rider if you can, for safety’s sake. The ride should last two to four hours.
    The best approach is to take your horse out on a long dirt road. Trot him for three to four miles, then lope him for three to four miles, and so on, incorporating walk breaks as need be. (Obviously, if your horse is out of condition, build up to this much work gradually.)

You’ll be amazed how much more your horse remembers when he’s been ridden enough to get a little tired. I’m not saying to exhaust him; just put enough mileage on him to give him a reason to want to go slowly. It really works."

I have another idea. Set a therapy horse free! These horses are saints, but their jobs can become too much for them after awhile---too limited and structured, and interacting with too many people (riders and volunteers) to feel secure, and able to have a quality relationship.
    I volunteered at a therapeutic riding center for awhile, and the welfare of the horse is an important value. Letting a burned out horse go to a loving 1 person home when their time is over as a therapy horse is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    I have another idea. Set a therapy horse free! These horses are saints, but their jobs can become too much for them after awhile---too limited and structured, and interacting with too many people (riders and volunteers) to feel secure, and able to have a quality relationship.
    I volunteered at a therapeutic riding center for awhile, and the welfare of the horse is an important value. Letting a burned out horse go to a loving 1 person home when their time is over as a therapy horse is a very good thing.
    Yes, the PATH riding center I volunteered at regularly rotated out horses and ponies that needed a change of scenery. These were all very sound, sane horses - being a therapy horse requires both soundness and sainthood in spades.

Best wishes find your steady eddie!

I don't know if there is Facebook page for horses for sale in Virginia but Texas has a Texas Sport Horses for Sale page that has a few nice horses listed within your price range.

I got myself a little ranch horse, who is the plainest bay you can get. No white, stocky, 15.1. He is THE BEST. It is a standing joke at the barn, how quiet he is. Just an old soul, at the ripe age of 5. I would highly recommend one, as my goals are similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by dkcbr View Post
    OP, you mentioned VA and NC - have you been looking in MD? I only ask because I very recently sold my much loved, perfectly sound, schooling 2nd/3rd beautifully, BTDT, uber sensible, gets along with mares/geldings/mixed herds, also trail rides awesomely horse so I know at least some are/were out there.

As an aside, I was much more concerned about a good home than getting big money, so I did accept a substantially lower offer than her asking price. I was happy to do so for the perfect home. So it might be worth bumping up your dollar amount to widen the net, and if you find the perfect horse you could either look for more coins in the sofa cushions OR politely and humbly see if you can pay something less than what the seller is asking. I was not in the least insulted at receiving a lower offer, because my buyer had come back several times so I knew she was really and truly interested in making a great match (not getting a cheap horse).

Then years ago I sold another perfect horse to a perfect owner who had had her eye on him for awhile and mentioned she'd love to have him IF I ever decided to part with him. Which I finally did, and again I sold him for less than "market value" because I was so happy with the home...

I guess my short answer is: Keep looking - they're out there.
    That's true...we bought my daughter's first horse from a trainer who had been turning down offers left and right. Her friends had pool going with $250 betting she would never sell him. She sold him to us for 1/2 his listed price because he was a perfect fit with my daughter. So, you never know.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Some of these horses are super nice!

I had a large pony that fit your want description...I sold him sight unseen, to the first person that emailed me. He was a QH?Connemerra. Maybe a nice large pony?

All I can say is be patient and keep looking. It took 50 plus horses to find my new guy but he was worth the wait (and within my budget!).