The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oklahoma State University - Vet School has set something up for donations for the animals.

http://www.cvhs.okstate.edu/index.ph...853&Itemid=124

OSU VETERINARY HOSPITAL OFFERS AID TO TORNADO ANIMAL VICTIMS

Donations to support this relief effort will be greatly appreciated and can be easily made online at http://www.cvhs.okstate.edu/oarf or by calling (405) 385-5607.

Contact: Derinda Blakeney, APR | OSU Center for Veterinary Health Sciences | 405-744-6740 | derinda@okstate.edu

Ok, I am posting again as I went to remove my double post and it removed both of my posts. Ugh, I don't get this forum sometimes. Anyways, I would look into the Red Earth Tack Store and Dr. Mike Wiley, who is an equine only vet who used to be located at Celestial Acres which was destroyed and is now only a couple of miles from the Orr farm and Celestial Acres. I have known him and his family for 20 years, and he received a state award for his work with the May 3 tornado in Moore for his work with horse aid. He is also involved in showing and breeding H/J. A couple of face book posts from Red Earth Tack store which is coordinating work (the major tack store in OKC)

"Just spoke with Dr Wiley's very tired staff and we have set up a pipeline with them to deliver grain (and other supplies) as they use/need it. They have very little feed storage and a very full hospital.

After speaking with them, we will continue to collect cash donations. Unfortunately, it looks as if most of the funds will go to the cost of disposal for the horses lost in the storm. Dr Wiley's office let me know that legal horse disposal is $200/horse, and they are dealing with more than they can handle in that area right now

Thank you everyone for your concern and generosity"

And in regards to other places to donate according to them

"We are in coordination with the OK Department of Animal Welfare and Oklahoma Veterinarians.
    We have two donation funds going for the animal tornado fund.
    ----Supplies, Halters, Leads, Grain, Pet Food, Medical Supplies etc.
    ----Cash donation fund to help with medical care."

If you go their face book page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-E...k/151459806517 you can find local ways to donate in OKC. Thanks, from an Oklahoman who has seen both the May 3rd and now this tornado.

For the OP, if what you can give is labor, why don't you see if there is a local chapter of Habitat for Humanity? They may be able to use people for cleanup and rebuilding. You could probably tell them that you can build fence, etc. for the local farms and rances.

I just received this email from the Oklahoma Dressage Society, listing all the places you can donate or that are offering aid to those affected by the storms. Just copying/pasting:

How to Help Horses and Owners Affected by the Tornadoes
    In the wake of the Oklahoma tornadoes, individuals, businesses, and organizations are stepping up to help the horse community recover. Here's a list of some opportunities available to prospective donors.

See Federal Trade Commission resources on how to make donations wisely: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...giving-charity.

Oklahoma State University's Center for Veterinary Health Sciences is offering care for animals injured during the storm. Owners and referring veterinarians can call 405/744-7000 to arrange for care. Meanwhile, contributions to defray the cost of this care can be made online at www.cvhs.okstate.edu/oarf or by calling 405/385-5607.

The Benchmark Animal Hospital in Carney, Okla., is offering help to storm-injured animals. Call 405/547-8381 for details.

The Orr family, operators of Orr Family Farm, have established a hotline for those wishing to contribute to the farm's recovery. Call 405/283-2258 to register.

Red Earth Feed and Tack in Oklahoma City is collecting contributions of halters, lead ropes, and other equipment, as well as feed and cash contributions to compensate veterinarians providing storm-related animal care. Call 405/478-3424 for details. Mailing address is 2301 E I-44 Service Rd. OKC OK 73111

The Women's Horse Industry Network is collecting donations for storm impacted horse owners. Visit www.womenshorseindustry.com or call 615/730-7833 for details.

The American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) is accepting donations for those affected by the tornadoes. Contributions of non-perishable food items, toiletries, gloves, buckets, and shovels can be brought to the AQHA headquarters in Amarillo, Texas. Call 806/376-4811 for details.

Equi-Center Veterinary Hospital :Michael J Wiley 6600 W Rock Creek Road Norman, OK 73072-2019 405-366-9328 just tell them you want to donate to Tornado victims. You can pay by credit card or send checks
    He has many clients that have lost everything and need our help.

EMA in Edmond And Interstate Equine
    are also accepting donations

We donated $500 to Equi-Center earlier today. It's not much but all we can afford at this moment. We have personally known Dr. Wiley (of Equi-Center) and Red Earth for what seemed like a lifetime. All are very professional and I will not have any concern as to where the money will end up if I put my donation with them. Just want to pass along if anyone is wondering.

My husband just went to Red Earth to pick up some vet supply to deliver to another friend of ours who had taken in five injured horses and on the way he stopped at Equi-Center to talk with Dr. Wiley a bit. A friend of ours lost all her horses but two. Both are being treated at Equi-Center. One of them is barely alive and the other lost an eye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I would love to send something to a single woman who owns horses that has been hit by this tragedy. Often times they receive the least amount of assistance because they are outside the loop. THey have no husband or SO to help with the chain saws etc. Often they have no family although sometimes they have children. People don't focus on them since they are not in the spotlight. I would hope the local saddle clubs would give some attention to these women, let us know who they are and how to donate to them.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

2 members found this post helpful.

I called Dr Wiley's office directly & made a donation via credit card. Red Earth Feed has not answered their phones. Since help needed, I am sure shall be an extended issue for a while, I will just snail mail Red Earth.

This appears to be a good Facebook page for trying to consolidate info of those needing help & letting be known you can help:

https://www.facebook.com/oklahomatornadoeslivestock#_=_

May I suggest to those offering in person help, you may half to do more than just merely make a post. You may have to somehow try harder at reaching out to help in person. Dr. Wiley's office expressed a little frustraiton at the still of lack of coordination between the power agencies that be.

This may be a good resource/venue for helping in person to, since they have done it before:

DO YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER OR NEED TO REQUEST HELP?
    I just spoke with Scott Maples with ARC (Allied Response to Catastrophes).
    They are working with coordinating the requests with the helpers; they did coordination for Joplin.
    They will coordinate anything, including livestock help.
    He is gathering information right now and tomorrow will actually have a base set up in Moore.
    If you want to request help or volunteer, CALL HIM. He is taking everyone's information now.
    402-239-4983

God Bless All

Amen horsefaerie! Exactly why I am not donating to Dr. Orr's farm, that has hired a PR firm.

Also, here's a thought...Call the BIG feed folks, Purina, Cargill, Nutrena, even Southern States, et al, & politely let them know you are a customer of their brand, & that you hope they are reaching out to help. I know I have already started making those calls. One told me they knew the company had, "Done something with Joplin, but they are not sure about Moore." I just gave them the polite nudge saying I really hoped they reached out to Moore too, & not to forget Shawnee was hit 2 days before, & also the folks down in Texas that were recently hit too.

It is not just horses, I saw one of the groups taking animals in helping was in desperate need of chicken feed! I have chickens, so I want to reach out & help them too.

God bless everyone for their efforts to help!

Interstate Equine is helping horses, and could use some support ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Interstate Equine is a vet practice in Oklahoma.

http://www.interstateequine.com/

Moore Police has opened the disaster area so if you are one of those folks who want to help, they will need A LOT of help in cleanup. They also need experienced horse people to handle loose, frightened horses. Not sure the details yet. I'm going to find out.

Good news that they opened the area to equine rescue groups. Please keep us posted as you can.

bloodhorse.com is stating 150 horses reported killed. Think how many must be injured.

after the 1999 storm, we sent V-Mesh fencing to several ranchs; at that time we had an excess of the full rolls of fencing products .... everything we provided was used as the local sources were used fairly quicklyused up

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Exactly why I am not donating to Dr. Orr's farm, that has hired a PR firm.
    !
    Why would you not donate to Orr's farm just because they've hired a PR firm? They have a devasting loss of many, many horses and their farm. Better for them to stay hands on in that endeavor (helping what horses are left and trying to deal with the day to day reality of this devastation, than to try to do the PR themselves to try to get help their way.

Dear sid,

What part of, "Amen Horsefaerie," left you confused?