The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Storms in TX/OK how to help?

I know theres a lot of horse and livestock farms in this area that have been hit. Ive been been pretty unsuccessful trying to find information on how to help! I dont have money, I dont have a lot of stuff to send, but I have time and hands this week willing to help clean up, fix fences, round up loose livestock..... Does anyone know any way to sign up for this? (or any COTHer that was hit and needs help?) Redcross just seems to want money...... :/
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I imagine there will be news on volunteering to help/assistance coming out in the morning. Tonight the focus is probably on the humans needing assistance.

RedRover often is one of the groups that sends in volunteers, ASPCA has an emergency response arm/branch, and as does Code 3 Associates. A lot of times they want people to be trained/credentialed before going out on disaster response - that's partially because of the insanity that occurred in Katrina.

I'm waiting for more info and if I get anything along the lines of where/how people can help, I'll post. and hopefully others will as well!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Please let me know what you find out.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Usually, in the very beginning, they need money. Don't send clothes or food...it takes staff to sort it all. Don't show up and try to help...you will be getting in the way of first responders. Just send money.

American Red Cross
    The Red Cross has set up shelters in various communities. You can donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund here, and the organization also suggests giving blood at your local hospital or blood bank.

If you're searching for a missing relative, check Red Cross Safe & Well's site. And please register if you're within the disaster region. The site is designed to make communication easier after a tragedy like this.
    If you want to send a $10 donation to the Disaster Relief fund via text message, you can do so by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999. As in the case with other donations via mobile, the donation will show up on your wireless bill, or be deducted from your balance if you have a prepaid phone. You need to be 18 or older, or have parental permission, to donate this way. (If you change your mind, text the word STOP to 90999.)

Phone: 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767); for Spanish speakers, 1-800-257-7575; for TDD, 1-800-220-4095.

Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief
    This organization says donations will "go straight to help those in need providing tree removal services, laundry services and meals to victims of disasters."
    It is requesting monetary donations (It says clothing is NOT needed). For more information, and to donate, visit Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief's website.
    You can send checks to: BGCO, Attn: Disaster Relief, 3800 N. May Ave., Oklahoma City, OK., 73112.

Salvation Army
    The Salvation Army is organizing disaster response units to serve hard-hit areas in central Oklahoma, including Moore, where it is sending mobile kitchens that can serve meals to 2,500 people a day, and to South Oklahoma City.
    Supporters can donate online via the organization's website, SalvationArmyUSA.org. You can also text the word STORM to 80888 to make a $10 donation via cellphone.
    If you want to send a check, the Salvation Army asks that you put the words "Oklahoma Tornado Relief" on the check, and mail it to: The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 12600, Oklahoma City, OK., 73157.
    Phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).

United Way of Central Oklahoma
    A disaster relief fund is being activated as of May 21 so that individuals can specifically donated to tornado relief-and-recovery efforts, the organization says on its site.
    "Financial contributions are the best way to help unless otherwise requested." Donations can be made online at
    United Way of Central Oklahoma’s Disaster Relief Fund is open. Donations may be made online here. Checks, with a notation of "May Tornado Relief" can also be sent to the United Way of Central Oklahoma, P.O. Box 837, Oklahoma City, OK , 73101.

Feeding America
    Through its network of more than 200 food banks, Feeding America, whose mission is to "feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks," says it will deliver truckloads of food, water and supplies to communities in need, in Oklahoma, and will also "set up additional emergency food and supply distribution sites as they are needed." You can donate online here.
    Phone: 1-800-910-5524.

Operation USA
    The international relief group, based in Los Angeles, says it is "readying essential material aid — emergency, shelter and cleaning supplies" to help Oklahoma's community health organizations and schools recover.
    You can donate online here. You can also give a $10 donation by texting the word AID to 50555. Checks should be sent to: Operation USA, 7421 Beverly Blvd., PH, Los Angeles, CA 90036
    Phone: 1-800-678-7255.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...o-victims?lite
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Here's a facebook page for Horse Evacuations East. Although someone has posted that they need help at the Orr Family Farm...the Orr facebook page says first responders only.

https://www.facebook.com/HorseEvacuationsEast

Donations can be sent to the Pet Food Pantry as well.

http://www.petfoodpantryokc.org/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Usually, in the very beginning, they need money. Don't send clothes or food...it takes staff to sort it all. Don't show up and try to help...you will be getting in the way of first responders. Just send money.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...o-victims?lite
    If i had the money to send I would in a heartbeat. I've poked around facebook and sent some messages out with my contact info. Im mostly finding people needing help hauling stock. I'm sure its gunna take time to rebuild everything, too. Right now I'm just waiting around, watching the radar, avoiding the news (too early for tears today...) And trying tk come up with some way o help.... Debated going into craft mode and make a bunch of rope halters of various sizes to send up or to craft some stuff to raise donations...
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Tehzebra, at this time they don't want anyone except for first responders to be there. It is extremely dangerous there, with power lines down and debris everywhere. There is also concerns of natural gas line explosion. Once the dangerous items are removed, I'm sure they will be very grateful for extra hands. The cleanup effort may take weeks.

Tehzebra, once they get the humans located and taken care of, the rebuilding will start. I'm sure at that time they would be happy to have whatever help you could give.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

This site has some useful info
    http://interoccupy.net/blog/opok-upd...lahoma-relief/

I was told they were very helpful after Sandy
    also http://www.news9.com/story/22314079/...ornado-victims
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I know we all know the usual ones for people (Red Cross, etc.). I also searched for horse rescue and dog rescue in Oklahoma. Donated to these two that both had info on their sites re: donating to help tornado relief for the animals. Horse Feathers Equine Rescue and Central Oklahoma Humane Society.

FB page by Horse Evacuations East

list here if you can help transport and/or take in some horses
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" Clique

The AQHA has a way for people to donate to the efforts to help where it is needed.
    For those living close, they have several trucks in their parking lot where people can bring supplies and people there accepting monetary donations also.
    So do many business here.

Check locally, I expect there will be some proven groups, not fly-by-night ones, taking in donations.

Not 501(c)3's, but these folks have suffered catastrophic losses: Orr Family Farm was devastated and is accepting donations:

https://www.facebook.com/OrrFamilyFarm?fref=ts

Plain as Bay Eventing, local folks set up an account to help. The pix posted are very hard to see. Humbling. Our our Adult Riders Eventing Group is helping out:

https://www.facebook.com/PlainAsBayEventing

Quote Originally Posted by Gryhnd View Post
    Donated to these two that both had info on their sites re: donating to help tornado relief for the animals. Horse Feathers Equine Rescue
    IMO Cheri is awesome and I trust her to be sending funds to help if she says she will.
    I have only spoken to Cheri on the phone over the years and not met her IRL, but I have met Theresa Gray (Vice President) when she transported a horse from Michigan to northern Ohio to a rescue some years ago and have seen nothing but positive involvement in the animal welfare arena from either women.

Horsefeathers has been certified by The Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries and that is not an easy task.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

As an aside, be careful of scammers. Sandy brought out the best and worst in people.

Thumbs up My Money Will Go via Red Earth Tack Store!

Thank you for the Red Earth Tack Store info! I will vote with my dollars & send them money. My bet is money sent via this venue will help more "average joes" overally. They have great info on their Facebook page for those wanting to help!

Think about this: Orr Family Farm is run as a public events venue. They must have very, very good insurance. It would be required to by law! Besides the owner being a Doctor, which alone means they could afford decent insurance to begin with.

I am voting with my dollars to help as many every day guy (& gals) as I can. Sorry, but anyone that can afford a "PR firm", as Orr Family farm has done, to field their questions at this tragic time, is not the person I feel is in most desperate, deserving & in need of my financial help. I am sure Doctor Orr shall more than understand why I am not sending him my monies.

Nothing personal against the Dr. Orr family. I do not at all know them. I just feel I would rather send my own monies to help those of lesser financial means, than Dr. Orr & his businesses.
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: further expanded why i personally am not donating to the Dr. Orr family

Good point about scammers.

Angela made a good post much earlier, in the other tornado thread, about being careful which out of state "non profit" horse rescues offering to help to be very careful of. I do hope she will come back & post her further research.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Good point about scammers.

Angela made a good post much earlier, in the other tornado thread, about being careful which out of state "non profit" horse rescues offering to help to be very careful of. I do hope she will come back & post her further research.
    The post from the place she was referring to is way on the bottom of that FB page now.
    There have been so many other fantastic offers, much closer, I am sure no-one will consider letting their horses go to AZ.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

The Orr Farm seems to need the most help.

This from the TX Equine Veterinary Assoc.:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Texas...672?ref=stream

Moore, OK is in desperate need of anyone who can help with horses! Over a hundred have been killed and many injured. If you have a trailer, medical supplies please they need your help! Especially Orr Family Farm at 14400 S. Western, OKC 73170. Tel 405-799-3276
    They will also need assistance finding homes for and caring for displaced animals. In addition to the training facility that was taken out, many local homes had horses and all survivors will require care in the coming days while power and basic necessites are not available.

Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Assoc. is taking donations
    http://okvma.org/

As large as this tornado was, tornadoes are limited in scope. It is not the same as when a hurricane devastates an entire county. There are many horse farms in the area, but most escaped the tornado.

Also, sad to say, although there are injured horses, it seems that a great many simply did not survive. It could be as many as 200 were lost, between just 3 farms known to have lost almost every horse. I am sure other farms as well. With large pieces of equipment having been tossed half a mile and more, one can only imagine what became of the horses.

It may take a little time for information to come forth on what needs the surviving horses have. And there are neighboring farms that can lend a hand. Mostly the owners may need the help to restore their farms and get back on their feet.

Here are a few sites that are helping animals, they might have more info. They are primarily for pets, though.

Animal Resource Center, Inc.
    https://www.facebook.com/animalresourcecenter

Oklahoma Animal Lost & Found Tornado Group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4147...5013498605859/
    Last edited by OverandOnward; May. 22, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    There have been so many other fantastic offers, much closer, I am sure no-one will consider letting their horses go to AZ.
    That offer seemed... opportunistic. BEHS would certainly take in horses who the storm whose owners can no longer afford to care for them if that was needed... but we're not going to go around posting that or asking people to send us their horses. I would so much rather people get to keep their horses.

We'll probably make a donation somewhere (we don't have much extra money but the rescue tries to help out the somewhat local horse communities as we can!), and I know our members are waiting to hear where they can send stuff. I know with storm recovery, it can be months before the owners have a place for new 'stuff' that people have given them... so the donations may be needed for quite some time.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com