The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Schockemoehle Bridles

Has anyone had experience with the Schockemoehle snaffle bridles? Thoughts/opinions?

I'm looking for an extra-wide crank/flash cavesson, and my options seem rather limited, but the Kentucky and Michigan styles have caught my eye, as well as the Kieffer Ergonomic line 3.

Or, any suggestions for snaffle bridles with extra wide crank/flash cavessons?
    Thanks!

I have a Schockemoehle snaffle bridle that I bought when I was in the UK a few years ago. It was about half the price they are selling for in the US. I like them because they make a nice cob size bridle that really is a cob size. That and the leather is very nice and doesn't seem to stretch out like other bridles I've tried.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have one that I bought a couple of months ago - the Paris model. It's OK; it's decent if not fabulous quality and it does seem to fit pretty true to size. I bought it for schooling and it's fine for that purpose.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

My sister got a stunning one through dover a few months back. The leather quality was wonderful, tight stitching, etc. The noseband on the Paris was very thick though and overwhelmed her face (chunky 14.2 MorganX).

Several bridles later she went with BR to get a high quality bridle with a wide noseband and no flash. It is the same quality as Schockemoehle but you have more options and the shipping from Canada is very reasonable (around $20). http://www.victoriasaddlery.com/cata...me.php?cat=596

My sister went through http://br.nl/page/info.php?id=211628 to find the exact bridle she wanted and Victoria Saddlery ordered it for her and mailed it.

Nice! Anyone have thoughts on Schockemohle VS. Kieffer on quality? Kieffer is much cheaper, but I wasn't totally impressed with my previous one (the Dagmar)

I need a wide noseband for my 17h mare with a long face, anything under 4cm looks like a hunter bridle on her. ex: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...37386253_n.jpg

I'm using the Sports Paris model on a Friesian and I LOVE this bridle. He's in a full size and it fits him perfectly. Maybe a touch long in the cheeks but nothing crazy. The noseband is a perfect full size.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

I love my Scockemohle Brisbane double. Good quality at reasonable prices. Mine came from VR Tack

I recently considered the S Paris and the Kieffer Esperanza. The side-by-side comparison showed the Kieffer to have better leather quality and stitching than the Schockemohle. However, that was between the two bridles I actually had in hand The padding on that Schockemohle was warped, the buckles were off, and the stitching was unraveling on the left side of the noseband. The Kieffer compared in quality to my Passier. The Kieffer gets daily wear (I'm in humid Florida and ride in the rain) and looks amazing: all stitching is in still intact, the leather has broken in nicely, and I haven't had any stretching. Although I purchased it as a schooling bridle for a growing baby, I'd use it for showing without hesitation.

My Kieffer Dagmar has stretched a fair amount, so I thought I'd try something different. I feel like Passier is superior in quality to Kieffer, but that's just my impression. Still waiting on the arrival of my Kentucky!