The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost of bedding at shows

Hi all,

I'm about to start showing heavily after YEARS away from riding. I'm super excited, but I'm also out of the loop. I have just about everything budgeted, but I have NO idea what to expect regarding the cost of bedding purchased on show grounds. I know prices vary, but I'd love some insight anyway.

I'll be showing at smaller stuff around AZ, but I also plan on doing a few weeks at HITS Thermal and/or Tucson, which I'm assuming will be the most expensive circuits in the area. I'll be at WEF next year, but we won't count that since I'm pretty sure that will blow the budget out of the water.

Thanks!

I usually pay about $6.50-8 per bag in NC.

If the cost of buying from shows in your area is really high, you might look at some local feed stores to see if they have them any cheaper.
    Last edited by caughtintheact; May. 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Lots of the shows at Westworld, for example, won't allow you to provide your own bedding. You're stuck with their prices.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    Lots of the shows at Westworld, for example, won't allow you to provide your own bedding. You're stuck with their prices.
    Thanks guys. This is precisely why I ask. Most places around here don't let you bring your own.

Why not ask your trainer or other riders at your barn what the shows near you have been charging?

Must show around me charge at least $9 to $10 for a bag. What you could do is buy one or two bags from the show and get the rest from the feed store to fill in the rest of your stall. You still bought from the show so its not as if your cheating them!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

2 members found this post helpful.

I brought shavings to the TB show at the Va. Horse center last fall. I did end up buying more from the show ($8 a bag vs. $5 from TSC). TBH I am planning on just buying it from them when we go again this October. Not having to haul them from the trailer will make it worth the extra $$$ IMO since the "show" shavings are delivered directly to the stall.

Yep - can't bring your own at the main show facility around here. Last show we had to pay $13 per bag - yikes! I can get the same size bag for less than $6. Really ticks me off, especially when paying $200 for the stall (at A shows. Stall is $70 for a weekend schooling show.)
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe that if the shows are USEF rated then they must let you bring in your own shavings.

2 members found this post helpful.

Looked it up and USEF GR1216.7 states "7. Subject to local law and contract requirements, any owner or trainer stabled on the grounds of a competition must be permitted to haul in hay, grain and bedding, meeting management’s specifications as published in the prize list, for his own use, and use any farrier or veterinarian of his choice."

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I almost always bring my own...I might buy a couple extra bags from the show for convenience in a pinch. I've never been challenged on this.

How great for you to be getting back into showing! Have fun!

I'm pretty sure that this means that you can bring it in on your trailer/truck, but they can still not allow outside vendors to bring stuff in and drop it off for you. Most of us do not have the room to haul 80 bags of shavings (what we just went through this past week at a show with 7 horses). Thankfully, the shavings cost at the show were about the same as if we had bought them from an outside vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Looked it up and USEF GR1216.7 states "7. Subject to local law and contract requirements, any owner or trainer stabled on the grounds of a competition must be permitted to haul in hay, grain and bedding, meeting management’s specifications as published in the prize list, for his own use, and use any farrier or veterinarian of his choice."

Correct...but some show managers don't care even when I pointed out the USEF rule. Plus have started charging another fee if you don't order any bedding. I order 2 bags to start & bring in my own (easy to do since I ship myself).

I have seen $9-10 average per shaving bag around here. Bigger circuits/shows might be higher.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Well, the facility I am referring to hosts MANY "A" rated and "AA" rated shows, as well as local circuit shows. All prize lists say in bold, capital letters, "NO OUTSIDE SHAVINGS ALLOWED."

I believe the "Subject to local law and contract requirements" covers them. But, perhaps I should inquire with USEF?
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Don't count on being able to bring in your own shavings at the grounds you are talking about. Budget about $12/bag. I think it is a little less but they charge tax on the shavings. We generally do about 10 bags/stall first week and if it is a multi-week show add maybe 4-5 more bags/week depending on how messy your horse is.

In the grand scheme of things this is a very minor expense...

Default Show Price bedding is often triple the usual price ~ ouch !

Show bedding is often 'TRIPLE" the usual price ~ OUCH !

Take your own bedding IF allowed ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

$7 here but we get them for 5 at tractor supply.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Looked it up and USEF GR1216.7 states "7. Subject to local law and contract requirements, any owner or trainer stabled on the grounds of a competition "
    The devil is in the details... I believe some facilities require tha tyou use their vendor for bedding - that could be an example of a contract that would supercede USEF requirements.

However, the best trick I found for easily bringing in bedding and saving $$$ (especially for 2 week shows) is to mix pelleted bedding (that I bring myself) and bagged shavings the horse show supplies. I would put 3-5 bags pelleted on the floor, wet it a little, but still leave mostly pellets, then add my bagged shavings on top, enough to fill the stall but not like I was bedding for 2 full weeks. After a day or two the bagged shavings are disappearing, but the pelleted bedding is expanding and making a nice cushy bottom. This method works really well when you are not bedding in tents/on grass and saved me a decent chunk of change at longer shows. I could have saved more by bringing in bagged shavings as well, but I ended up using less than half the bagged shavings I usually used so the convenience of having those delivered (and not trying to find space in my truck/trailer) was worth the extra $10 I think show bedding cost.

I imagine if you had to order bedding from the facility/vendor, you could probably use this method as well unless they are searching your vehicle for contraband bedding on the way in.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.