The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Our TB stallion FINALLY gets something pregnant!!! A mare actually......

Well, I guess all the Kokopelli statues and fertility charms in his pasture paid off! After owning Wing Man for 3 years, we FINALLY have a mare pregnant. So, Wing Man is a TB stallion we found through Canter after 3 years of searching, and CHECK OUT his pedigree! Eye candy for us as event breeders. How often are you going to see a horse whose sire's sire is Fappiano and whose dam sire is Alydar?? And sex balanced Killaloe! He raced 46 starts with 9 wins and retired sound, and he is drop dead gorgeous! AND (as if that isn't enough) he packed my old, adult amateur, overweight body willingly around our trails. What more could you want???

Ummmm.....fertility.... So, VA tech tried and NC state tried with no luck. Semen seemed OK, not great, but OK; however, no one got pregnant. After hemming and hawing, Sharon White encouraged us to throw her 2 WB cross broodmares out with him, and (angels sing and lights streak through the clouds), Molly got instantly pregnant! Allie, the other mare, is, hmmm, how should I say it, a b#^$% so she is not pregnant. She teases him and then kicks him.... (Anyone ever sedated a mare turned out to pasture with a stallion??) But, all in all, who the hell cares!!! Those little swimmers are alright on the spot!!! So, I know all the long diatribes about pasturing mares and stallions together, etc., but this guy is a gentleman, and SOMEONE IS PREGNANT!!!! (Not sure if my threats to send certain things to the chopping block at the end of the season if we had no results factored in.....) Bottles of champagne would have been popped if we had any! Just had to share!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Congrats!

Well if he was more Guarenteed to get a mare in foal I would consider him! I have 2 reg tb mares.

Congrats and I hope everything goes well!
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by Wits End Eventing View Post
    Well, I guess all the Kokopelli statues and fertility charms in his pasture paid off! After owning Wing Man for 3 years, we FINALLY have a mare pregnant. So, Wing Man is a TB stallion we found through Canter after 3 years of searching, and CHECK OUT his pedigree! Eye candy for us as event breeders. How often are you going to see a horse whose sire's sire is Fappiano and whose dam sire is Alydar?? And sex balanced Killaloe! He raced 46 starts with 9 wins and retired sound, and he is drop dead gorgeous! AND (as if that isn't enough) he packed my old, adult amateur, overweight body willingly around our trails. What more could you want???

Ummmm.....fertility.... So, VA tech tried and NC state tried with no luck. Semen seemed OK, not great, but OK; however, no one got pregnant. After hemming and hawing, Sharon White encouraged us to throw her 2 WB cross broodmares out with him, and (angels sing and lights streak through the clouds), Molly got instantly pregnant! Allie, the other mare, is, hmmm, how should I say it, a b#^$% so she is not pregnant. She teases him and then kicks him.... (Anyone ever sedated a mare turned out to pasture with a stallion??) But, all in all, who the hell cares!!! Those little swimmers are alright on the spot!!! So, I know all the long diatribes about pasturing mares and stallions together, etc., but this guy is a gentleman, and SOMEONE IS PREGNANT!!!! (Not sure if my threats to send certain things to the chopping block at the end of the season if we had no results factored in.....) Bottles of champagne would have been popped if we had any! Just had to share!!!
    Yes on the tranquilizer! One of our best/favorite mares turned into the mare from hell a few years ago. Hand bred she bucked...not kicked...so hard she threw the 16.2, brick house stallion about 8 feet where he lost his footing and rolled downhill into a swale!! I thought she had killed him!! 5cc of Ace turns her into a lover!!! Never tried pasture breeding her, though!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

What tests were done to evaluate your stallion's semen?

2 members found this post helpful.

oh wow-and his granddam is a sister to fappiano? plus in reality grey flgiht ....etc.

(I know I will be stoned by the scientific crowd but I have found Immunal -sold by rainbow equis farm and based on a comparison of one (1) stallion's progressive motility on and off it to help. :-)

Congrats! He is a lovely type and great pedigree.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Congrats and he has a lovely pedigree.

What tests were done to evaluate your stallion's semen?
    Shortly after we bought Wing Man, we sent him to VA tech to learn to be collected (which was within 90 days of his last race), and Dr. Dascanio worked with him there. They had some trouble initially and had to give him some valium to help him relax. The first collection was about 50% motile and 75 mls. On the next collection, "55ml, 351 million sperm per ml – total number 19.3 billion sperm. 50% motile, 45% progressively motile. 17% normal morphology – he has a lot of defect currently – may be due to not being collected (sperm reserves static) or what ever he was doing 60+ days ago – takes that long for new patch of sperm to be produced. Hopefully this number will improve…" After a bit of a break, Wing Man went back up, and they noted "He seems to have regressed a little, requiring multiple mounts and some xylazine. He seems to not keep his focus very well." That first year, the 2 mares we tried breeding him to were not easy to get in foal so we were not too worried.

The next year, Dr. Dascanio was on sabbatical, and so we took him to the NC State Repro facility in Southern Pines. They looked at progressive motility, and I think it was 50%. If they did other specific testing, I don't remember. That year, we tried to breed another two mares - one who could be hard to get into foal and one who was a fairly easy breeder. Again, no luck.

We then gave up for a year - things were hectic, and we were cash poor. This year, we decided to turn him out with the two mares, and Molly very quickly became pregnant.

oh wow-and his granddam is a sister to fappiano? plus in reality grey flgiht ....etc.
    Yes, we were THRILLED with his pedigree, his build, his disposition, his gallop and his movement. I looked for a TB stallion for our program for several years before finding him. When we had the issues getting mares pregnant, I started looking again and haven't found anything with close to his pedigree. Because his dam and sire were older, he really brings a lot of nice lines close up. We are big fans of Alydar, Fappianno, and In Reality in a pedigree. His dam, Clabber Girl, was a favorite of John Nerud. Also, the linebreeding of a mare (the mare Killaloe, a daughter of Hall of Fame inductee Dr. Fager) is unusual in a pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wits End Eventing View Post
    (Not sure if my threats to send certain things to the chopping block at the end of the season if we had no results factored in.....) Bottles of champagne would have been popped if we had any! Just had to share!!!
    Thanks for sharing! Everyone loves good news!

About those threats.. I had a neighbor one time who's orange tree never produced any oranges. One year, he told the his wife in front of the tree "If I don't get one orange off that tree next year, I'm going to cut it down!"

The next year there was one (1) orange on the tree.

3 members found this post helpful.