The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whatever he is, he's ADORABLE! Kudos!

Where did they get Great Pyrenees and Lab? I don't see either. The tail is too curled for Husky, IMO. I do see maybe Shiba Inu (color, tail, coat) or possibly Akita, plus other breed/s?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I see no Great Pyrenees. And while in theory you could imagine a Shiba Inu in there, they are not exactly common dogs; I think that would be extremely unlikely to have been the sire or dam in a mixed breed, but of course anything is possible.

I see pure mutt x mutt. Probably some lab or golden in there, maybe something with husky/shepherd mix.

I think that if you allow all dogs to inter-breed (like they do in some countries where dogs are more "wild" than domesticated), eventually they will all have curly tails and (I think) tulip/laid-back ears. So those particular characteristics don't necessarily mean much of anything. In this dog I think the coat type is probably the best guess - lab, golden, shepherd...something.

I'd like to try the DNA test on my purebred dog, that can be traced back at least 10 generations, with more than half of them AKC champions (actually probably more, but I only have his 5 generation pedigree so I don't know). I wonder if it would show anything other than his actual breed? How expensive are they? Maybe it would be a fun experience.

We told people my dog I had as a kid was a New England Swamp Terrier. They usually believved us.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    Do any of those dog DNA kits work? At least to give an idea of the major influences?
    It really depends- from what I understand if the dog has well-bred parents or grandparents, the results are better than if it's a real Heinz 57 for generations.

I bought a wisdom panel (for giggles) and tested my dog- she came back American Staffordshire (makes sense) and Lhasa Apso (?????). I interpret that as AmStaff/Pittie mixed with a very mutt-y mutt.

It basically provided no new information because we already knew she was pit-type, but it was fun anyway.

ETA: A photo of my "AmStaff/Lhasa Apso" mix
    Last edited by make x it x so; May. 21, 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Add Picture

I know! It's a LUCKY dog! Looks like he found a great home.

1 members found this post helpful.

S1969, that's part of why I "tested" Wisdom Panel on my old man first. I know both breeds and lines back quite a ways. It was spot on. Not knowing the young shelter pup's lines (but suspecting two different possible mixes), I was pleased it came back the way it did: parentage on both sides was pure.

They're not expensive tests. I think I paid $65, including shipping to me.

Sorry for my snark yesterday. I was quite grumpy.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I would guess Akita mix. Cute dog!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

He's a cute dog.

I know of two great pyr crosses (parents were known for sure) that look NOTHING like a pyr in any way. One looks 100% like a purebred american bulldog.

OP's dog could be a pyr cross. He could be anything. Trying to determine heritage by phenotype alone in a mixed breed dog is almost impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    He's a cute dog.

I know of two great pyr crosses (parents were known for sure) that look NOTHING like a pyr in any way. One looks 100% like a purebred american bulldog.

OP's dog could be a pyr cross. He could be anything. Trying to determine heritage by phenotype alone in a mixed breed dog is almost impossible.
    Something is giving him size. I don't think my pictures really show it, but he is a big dog. Probably about 27-28 inches at the top of the shoulder and 6 months old. Maybe that's where the GP idea came into.

He was found when his owner was arrested on drug charges. The police noted a injured, untreated dog in the house. He had a terrible leg laceration and numerous other bumps and cuts. I have a feeling it's from the chain or wire he was tied up with getting wrapped around his legs and body. He cowers when he sees a leash and it makes me think he assumes he is getting tied up. He's been recovering in the shelter for over a month and just came up for adoption.

My only worry is that he seems really weak behind. I don't know if it's all the time in a cage or not. He has very little muscle and a hard time getting up and down, kind of like a 12 yr old big dog would. It could be the leg injury has caused him to not be active and wither away (plus the cage). I just really worry he has a terrible early case of hip dysplasia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Which is why my Catahoula/ACD was spot on?

I would assume that this cross would be "more" easily identifiable because of their phenotypes. Not too many breeds have markers for agouti (or whatever the colour pattern is), blue eyes, short coat, etc. Dogs who are generally phenotypically unusual will likely have more specific or changes of more accurate results.

Not saying its utter and complete BS, there IS some logistics behind it and many markers are established for the "breed" - but actual "breed" DNA is not so simple. Its much easier to genetically test for maternal and paternal DNA than random breed. Same issue with horses.

Looks like a Basenji. Maybe with a a little yellow lab mixed in?

OP - re the hip dysplasia, one of the telltale signs is now they go up steps. My dog was diagnosed just after adoption, less than a year old, chow mix, just under 60 lbs. He went up the stairs like a bunny, both back legs same time. He also had a funny wiggle when he walked. Yours may be weakness, but I would exercise him carefully (shorter periods rather than longer) and regularly for a while and see how he is. If he will swim, that would be excellent. Diagnosis is xray but they have to be knocked out to do it. I managed my dog's for all of his too short life, fully expecting and willing to do hip surgery at some point. Unfortunately at barely 7 yrs I recently lost him to IMHA, an auto immune disease.
    Whatever yours is, he's sure a nice looking pup! Good luck w/ him.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by morganmare View Post
    Looks like a Basenji. Maybe with a a little yellow lab mixed in?
    That's a pretty rare breed.

If something is smallish, mixed breed, and curly haired, sure it COULD be a bedlington terrier mix. But it's way more likely to be a poodle mix.

It seems fairly unlikely to me that this drug dealer dude had a mixed breed where one half was a fairly rareish/less popular breed like a basenji or shiba inus. Plus both breeds are medium size. That looks like a pretty big dog and it not only has kind of an akita shape overall but similar looking fur. I can also see husky/lab/golden influences. I guess we'll never know for sure!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Isn't a curled tail one of those traits that dogs get once you start mixing, ie, not a sign of a particular breed most of the time? I see possible collie in the face, but agree that Akita could be the size issue - not for the tail, but for the overall outline. Even for a 6-month puppy, body looks light for a lab or pit bull mix.

Maybe lab/malamute instead of lab/husky. In that profile picture it sure looks like he has the facial markings of a sled dog.

Whatever he is, he's super-cute!

Hmm, I'm going to say there's either Akita or malamute with lab/labbish. That last pic is especially darling!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)