The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of dog is this?

Just got him from the shelter today. 6 months old, size of a lab, yellow and white, longish hair, curled tail. They said he was a Great Pyreenes/Husky, but I am not sure?

http://s778.photobucket.com/user/kee...library/Roscoe

White feet, white on the tip of his tail. Very laid back and kind. Had a terrible start to life.

Thanks!

Id guess Husky/Lab. Would look about right and there are likely enough of those around for an oops breeding.

3 members found this post helpful.

Heinz 57 I see some husky, some lab, but Im sure theres more than a 50/50 in there. Either way, very cute!!!

My guess is Husky/Lab or possibly Husky/Lab/Border Collie

I don't see anything in him that says GP.

Do any of those dog DNA kits work? At least to give an idea of the major influences?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    Do any of those dog DNA kits work? At least to give an idea of the major influences?
    My friends got a dog DNA kit done and the kit bore out what the rescue told them.

My scientist Dad looked into them out of interest & he said there was no reason why they wouldn't work.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

The DNA test I did on my dogs were accurate (I used my old man as a control since I know his breeding).

I see border collie, maybe lab, and a husky-type.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I say Akita mix for the curled tail. Google images pulled up a picture of one with that coloring.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    My friends got a dog DNA kit done and the kit bore out what the rescue told them.

My scientist Dad looked into them out of interest & he said there was no reason why they wouldn't work.
    I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    The DNA test I did on my dogs were accurate (I used my old man as a control since I know his breeding).

I see border collie, maybe lab, and a husky-type.
    What did brand did you use?

They look for markers in the DNA, but it in no way guarantees breed(s). They are likely never 100% accurate, but can also be close in determining some breeds in a mutt as some breeds have very specific genetic markers. They are far more sensitive to pure bred, or close to pure bred dogs that have distinctive traits (ie. curly coat, blue eyes, undercoat, brachycephalic etc etc) because something like "blue eyes + curly coat" can be tested for.

Humane society here relies on them before adopting out pitt bulls (they are banned here), one came back with most prevalent breed as poodle They also dont have "pitt bull" as a breed, and most pitties are made up of a mixture of bully breeds such as staffies +/- mastiffs, rotts, boxers or whatever else the backyard breeder can find.....but not so much poodles LOL! Just goes to show that these tests really arent accurate based on actual breed.

With mutts, its harder as there are likely 101 breeds going back many generations. Genes mutate and dilute out without any inbreeding. There could easily be "blue eyes + curly coat" in a dog that looks black short hair with brown eyes.

Its worth a try, and you will probably get back some accurate breeds but dont be suprised if something strange (ie. lhasa apso) gets thrown in there too.
    Last edited by SquishTheBunny; May. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w
    I'm not a scientist nor have I done extensive research, but I would guess it depends on the quality of the test used.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    What did brand did you use?
    Wisdom Panel.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I'm not a scientist nor have I done extensive research, but I would guess it depends on the quality of the test used.
    Eh, not really. They're great for amusement, but not much more useful than that.

Without getting into a ridiculously long explanation - genetics just don't work that way. There are no genetic markers for breed (IE there is no "Border Collie gene") because breeds are nothing more than true breeding phenotypes. These tests look for genotype relevant to phenotype and make a guess at where said genotype may have come from. Which is why the black and white AmStaff came back as a border collie/boston terrier mix.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

6 members found this post helpful.

I KNOW! I KNOW!

He is a happy yellow one! I have one of those, they are great dogs. You will be very happy with him.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Heinz 57 I see some husky, some lab, but Im sure theres more than a 50/50 in there. Either way, very cute!!!
    We always called them Siberian Grass Hounds.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Eh, not really. They're great for amusement, but not much more useful than that.

Without getting into a ridiculously long explanation - genetics just don't work that way. There are no genetic markers for breed (IE there is no "Border Collie gene") because breeds are nothing more than true breeding phenotypes. These tests look for genotype relevant to phenotype and make a guess at where said genotype may have come from. Which is why the black and white AmStaff came back as a border collie/boston terrier mix.
    Which is why my Catahoula/ACD was spot on?

Re: the DNA tests, I believe each one advertises which breeds they have data for??

Anyway, I'm another who sees Akita or Shiba Inu mix. Tho lab/husky certainly seems plausible, too.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Which is why my Catahoula/ACD was spot on?
    Eh, they're bound to get it right occasionally. Although just because the test tells you what you expect to hear doesn't make it accurate.

I did graduate work in genetics (and political science...my interests are varied...) - I sort of know what I'm talking about. Kind of. Sometimes.
    -George Morris

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm going with the husky/lab crowd. Great combo!

FWIW, I have a big black dog with tan and silver trim, a thick undercoat and a bit of curl to his tail. His mom is my brother's yellow lab. There are a few others we see at the dog park that look just like him where the owners know they're a husky/retriever mix. When we're out in public, my guy is super outgoing and laid back. If he sees me let a guest in the front door, that person is his new best friend. If I let him in from the yard and he finds a visitor in the house that he doesn't know, he's super protective and can be quite intimidating, full on with the hackles up and all. It's the perfect combination.