The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Yardsale***Things are positive but Jingles still needed!!!**

Ok so we made it past the 1 month mark 2 days ago. Vet came for a check up today and things are still headed down a good path. The wound has almost fully closed. We are still seeing some small/fine amounts of drainage. Today's example made the vet think it's very likely joint fluid. This makes sense given the size and angle of the tear into the joint capsule itself. My vet is excited and still thinks that we're in good shape. I hope she's right.

What is/was more exciting is that he jogged completely sound on a paved driveway during her exam today! He hasn't had bute for 2 weeks+ and is a very happy guy who has been the epitome of a perfect patient. I will qualify this all by saying I am fully aware we aren't yet home free. I am living in fear of a fistula, and though I know the drainage is a largely positive thing, I will be a LOT happier when it ceases to show up daily. And so I am clear, it's drops... not streams. We get 3"-6" skinny line of dampness over the course of the day. But it dries overnight and we start with droplets again in the morning.

Here's a pic of his leg last night. (Someone had been practicing his levades in his stall at meal time so there's a bit more of a drainage track than usual. It was gone this am.)

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Xct...b2fb7.jpg.html

To recall... this is where we were a month ago:

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Xct...ml?sort=6&o=15

He definitely has a desire to heal and fight this thing so he can get on with his real job....to eat grass 24/7/365!

He is very much a cutie and has shown to be quite the ham for attention. Petey is thinking he's an awesome neighbor as they share hay with one another over the top of the stall wall. Lad kind of thinks he looks awfully familiar but is not yet a threat to his dominance over my string. (Lad has an ego) I am hopeful we can survive this. The 3rd bottle of Baytril arrives tomorrow and I really hope it's the last one. Thankfully he's really smart... he eats the Baytril on his food! No more injections and no more dosing syringes. My mom came out for mothers day and she groomed him as John grazed him. It's ridiculous but the two of them jumping in and helping just made me feel less ridiculous for trying to save him. So before I get too emotional I will sum up and say if you could spare a jingle or two to help his joint capsule finish healing I would very much appreciate it. I will look forward to the day I can post a pic of him without it being only of his right hind!

Many Thanks,

Emily, Lunar, Petey and Lad!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

3 members found this post helpful.

More jingles for him. Sounding good and glad he is being a model patient!

P.

Jingles... Glad he is doing so well.

And can I say he is lucky to have you? For many reasons but I smiled at you saying what a good patient he is and the levades in his stall. It is sad to me when some take every expression of a horse's spirit as something negative. I love that you appreciate his personality, he sounds like a real dear!

Still jingling!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Default Joint capsule Jingles & AO laced with a bit more patience should do it !

Joint capsule Jingles & AO laced with some more patience ~

Be proud ~!~ of a job well done ~~~~ push onward ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

You're almost home.. It has been a long road, but he looks so good!

Well done you! Continued healing wishes from Colorado.

Sending continued HUGE jingles from TN.

Go Yardsale!

More jingles for Yardsale!!! Jingles!!!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

What a lucky horse! Looks like you're nearly there...
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I should send you the light boot to use on it. Jingles!!!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Jingles to Yardsale! It sounds like he is going to come out of this great. I am on the same path as you (different injury though) and as of tomorrow, we are 1 month into our stall rest + hand walking . . . 1 more month until we have our vet appointment to see how things are healing.

SLP2,

I wish you a solid month of happy quiet horse who heals as well as possible!!! Due dilligence to all vet instructions is the key and I have to remind myself of this daily. Mucking a stall that's deepely bedded straw and being warned that any one piece of poo or pee soaked bedding that sticks or goes into the wound could be the life and death difference.... well it just changes everything. So his stall is VERY deep and very clean. And he only hand grazes. And we work hard to groom him, treat him normally and keep him relaxed and mentally engaged. Twice daily grass and LOTS of treats to combat the "ugly face" he gets from being cooped up.

Jingles for your guy too!!

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Omg are you guys good! All dry this am and the hole we have seen in the center looks to be filled in.

Please keep jingling. I believe in the power of the coth jingles and am so grateful!

Emily

Wow! Big improvement. Jingling still
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?