The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    If you get the papers and he really is nicely gaited and trained...that was a steal!

We could start taking bets on whether he is actually 'trained' Or what that training may have entailed. Or how young he was when it was started...

3 members found this post helpful.

I called the previous owner about Roy's papers and his number has been disconnected. Not surprised, but it will probably be turned back on when he has the money to pay the bill. He looks that sort. I'll keep trying.

StG

Thanks, StG. As for whether or not this guy is "trained" we don't know yet. I'll venture a guess that he tolerates a saddle, bridle and rider, and the person on his back can steer him. He seems to know cluck = go and "whoa" = stop. He kinda sorta lunges one way, and is totally clueless lunging the other way. He's sweet, interested in people, and everyone who has met him has absolutely loved him.

He's spirited; not a deadhead. He's very smart, too! He has the makings of a good, kind horse, but will need someone to help him realize his potential. I'm not a trainer. I'm calm, quiet, practical and have lots of horse experience. I'm older, and don't want to hop on a greenie anymore. Outside of the first couple of days when he DID NOT want his feet touched or picked up at all, he has no issues with anything. And he's fine about having his feet handled now. I can pick up all four of them. Can't yet hold the back ones up for any length of time, but I can pick them up, and the vet did too. So I don't know why he was dead set against anyone touching his feet, but that seems to be behind him now.

He's gaining weight well and next week we will make his turnout area bigger since he now easy enough to catch.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    He's sweet, interested in people, and everyone who has met him has absolutely loved him.

He's spirited; not a deadhead. He's very smart, too! He has the makings of a good, kind horse, but will need someone to help him realize his potential.

He's gaining weight well and next week we will make his turnout area bigger since he now easy enough to catch.
    Pony, this is all we can ask for, thank you!!!!!! You GO Sir Roy!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

As of tonight, he's been at my place for two weeks. He's beginning to look better. He certainly feels better, and has a wonderful personality. As for training, we really don't know yet. We've put a saddle on him, and he obviously knows what a saddle is, so no big problems there. He does not seem to know any of that show barn stuff....like clippers, lunging, parking out, etc. So either he was never at a show barn, or left very early on. Thanks to everyone who helped, enabled, and jingled for him.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

5 members found this post helpful.

Great to hear he's coming along! I would start him under saddle from scratch, just in case there are a few "holes" in his training. A lot of them don't longe, but that's easy to fix; just be aware he isn't likely to trot--he may pace. What you want to encourage is long-and-low, big-striding even-tempo 4-beat walk. How big he eventually wants to make it will depend upon his strength, flexibility, balance and temperament. If you can, get ahold of Gary Lane and Anita Howe's excellent DVD which shows you how to figure out what he's got and how to use it.

Giving, bending, a little flex at the poll are all good; but don't expect this guy to go "on the bit" like a dressage horse; they've got different mechanics entirely, and the whole thing depends on the relative tension/relaxation of the muscles of his topline. If you've never experienced this before, well, it's like taking the Advanced Course in dressage! There is more going on in there than "regular horse" riders ever knew possible. Or, why this old eventing warrior is now caught all the time flat-walking down a trail with a sh*t-eating, meditative grin!

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the update! So glad he is in a much better place now and receiving the love and care he deserves!

I spoke with the former owner today. He said 2 days ago he spoke with the person he bought Roy from, and the guy has to send away for the papers. I told him that we would be willing to pay all or part of the fee, depending on the amount. I didn't just tell him we'd pay carte blanche for the papers, because I knew the cost would go up. He was also glad to hear the Roy is doing well and gaining weight.

StG

6 members found this post helpful.

excellent news, Pony and StG! Will be interesting to see if those papers come through......

StG, find me on FB if I can help with that in any way. I am NOT averse to waving cash in people's faces to get this done, LOL! If I have to pay memberships or transfer fees I'll do that. I just want Roy to have as many options available to him as possible, even if that means (*cough* *vomit*) I have to join the TWHBEA for a year to effect the transfer. He is definitely a show-quality TWH, and I think he'd look soooo pretty in the Trail/Pleasure classes!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Me too War.

Maybe Preacher can help?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Thanks for the update on Roy. Glad to hear he is sensible and thriving. Good job, folks. :-) Post some more pictures when you have time.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

sounds like a good update.

i am thinking he is trained to ride, very much so. when we got there the horse was saddled up and ready to ride, and doubt the previous owner would have done so if the horse wasn't rideable.

i think he is a show horse wash out. so YES he is broke to ride.

remember gaited walk much faster than a 17.2H warmblood. They just naturally walk faster.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    sounds like a good update.

i am thinking he is trained to ride, very much so. when we got there the horse was saddled up and ready to ride, and doubt the previous owner would have done so if the horse wasn't rideable.

i think he is a show horse wash out. so YES he is broke to ride.

remember gaited walk much faster than a 17.2H warmblood. They just naturally walk faster.
    They sure do! My guy's only 14.3, and I keep runnin' out of country waaaaaay before I run out of horse! His walk makes Hanoverians lather up and their owners cry in their beer--the Banner-man just keeps cruisin'!

I was riding my RM mare on our road, it is a safe road, and an elderly resident was out walking on our little paved road. I thought this would be nice to go ride and talk to her.

My mare gaited fast like a little speed demon (at a walk) to catch up to her, she was 1/4 - 1/2 mi away. But we caught her. Then we walked for 5-10 minutes and my mare slowed lots to accommodate the little lady walking. Then we turned and went for home, and the little lady was walking even slower, it was hot, and my mare I have never felt her walk SO SLOW. It was interesting. She was very much so keeping pace with this lady. I didn't have my gps on but I would assume we were walking about 2.0 mph. It was a slow legged walk (in gait mind you). She won't walk that with non gaited, but sure would accommodate this lady walking.

Such a sweet horse. She was very careful around this little walking lady. After the lady went back to her house, it was business as usual. Lots of fast gaiting at the walk, which is 4-4.5 mph, which is a casual walk, in gaited.

I stayed up way too late last night reading this entire thread!
    And all I can say is there are some wonderful caring folks on COTH.
    You are are impressive. He is one lucky horse!
    Great going!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I was riding my RM mare on our road, it is a safe road, and an elderly resident was out walking on our little paved road. I thought this would be nice to go ride and talk to her.

My mare gaited fast like a little speed demon (at a walk) to catch up to her, she was 1/4 - 1/2 mi away. But we caught her. Then we walked for 5-10 minutes and my mare slowed lots to accommodate the little lady walking. Then we turned and went for home, and the little lady was walking even slower, it was hot, and my mare I have never felt her walk SO SLOW. It was interesting. She was very much so keeping pace with this lady. I didn't have my gps on but I would assume we were walking about 2.0 mph. It was a slow legged walk (in gait mind you). She won't walk that with non gaited, but sure would accommodate this lady walking.

Such a sweet horse. She was very careful around this little walking lady. After the lady went back to her house, it was business as usual. Lots of fast gaiting at the walk, which is 4-4.5 mph, which is a casual walk, in gaited.
    That is so neat! Nice mare.
    You know in the 40 some years I have done horses, that is the one thing I have never experienced, a gaited horse. I think I owe it to myself to find out what it is like. Sounds really cool.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The feel in your butt/seat is like you are at the sitting trot all the time.

HOWEVER, it is very very flat, no to extremely little bounce, easy EASY to sit to. They just go like this, and it is actually fun. I can ride farther with no or little pain, and the next day have no or very little pain in my body.

Lots of different breeds, and there are variations amongst the individuals in the breed. You can do all kinds of riding with them. Trail, show, dressage.

Why not adopt this red horse? I can and will haul him once again, if you need me to drive him to his new home again.

I do think he is totally broke to ride. Gaited are usually forward. Which is a good thing. Their feet go fast, but not always do they go fast. They have been historically bred to really love and try to please their humans, thus sweet temps on them.

Why not take a chance on this red horse?

BTW I was "walking" my rm only due to the black top pavement. I was being careful. She is very good on slick pavement, and surfaces, but I was being careful with her. I was the chicken. ha ha. But it was my mare who wanted to be slow with this little lady. It was apparent the little lady was getting hot and tired. So we were not about to leave her. I wanted to make sure she got home ok. I did have my cell with me in case something happened to her. I did pick up from my rm mare that she sensed this lady needed some looking after, by her of course, and was keeping an eye on her to make sure she was ok. Not sure if she smelled a chemical change in the lady, or it was her body language from the little lady. BTW the lady was telling me about all her bad health the past couple weeks, and how she was really stressed. So maybe my mare sensed, or smelled stress and was trying to help her by being a good walk along friend? I do believe (and have experienced it myself) horses do have an understanding of this, and try to be gentle and not take advantage.

I love horses, if you can't tell already. ha ha. ooops straying off topic, but hey, that is COTH!

Seriously, if somebody wants this red horse we rescued, I can haul for them. Private hauler, VERY experienced. I do have very good equipment too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    That is so neat! Nice mare.
    You know in the 40 some years I have done horses, that is the one thing I have never experienced, a gaited horse. I think I owe it to myself to find out what it is like. Sounds really cool.
    I was a dressage/event rider and thought I'd be the last person on the green Earth to get a Walker--until a rescue horse landed on me for rehab. He was a big, white, walking skeleton with the most spectacular overstride I'd ever seen.
    I'd never seen one and thought he was a Trakehner! We got him healthy, and one day out on the road I turned for home and the trees started going by 9 mph. and we were still WALKING! That was when I realized what we had--and fell in love. He died last year, but I've got a 7 year old (also a rescue) and a very well-bred old plantation type yearling who's down in Arkansas growing up.

NEVER say never!