The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Question: If the 2 horses in the Texas thread get saved (and things are looking up over there), will the heads of the people on TOB explode? They were so upset when this horse got saved, that they might not be able to take Cothers saving 3 horses in one week.

Oh wait, did that shamrock acres go pick up 3 or 4 other horses in Tenn. as she/he said she/he would? I mean it's the same town in which shamrockacresryder lives.

meanwhile, Roy's Courage's namesake seems to be going through a spell of bad health, so maybe everyone could email him encouragement to help cheer him up. Especially since he's now helping out our horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Did you see the link Roy posted (he was asking for jokes to cheer him up)? It's the funniest recording I've ever heard....tears rolling down my face laughing funny.

http://zanylol.com/accident.html
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Same here, especially the reference to the little Mother Goose looking woman. LOL
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Yay! Take him up on it! This could shine a spotlight on the plight of horses right now!
    Wow! This is a major development and something that dropped in our lap. WHAT an incredible opportunity to bring mainstream attention to the TWH and shutting down the Big Lick once and for all! The fact that this horse himself may have reason to be foot-shy is even a piece of that picture. Maybe The Preacher been talking to The Man Upstairs!

BTW, my choice for name would by "Roy's Pushin' the Press!"

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Question: If the 2 horses in the Texas thread get saved (and things are looking up over there), will the heads of the people on TOB explode? .
    I would say that would be messy but then realized it would likely just be a whoosh of hot air.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    If they go to the show they have to be inspected. They are trained to NOT pick up their feet and show any sort of reaction to any touching (or soring).

This horse may have been prepped to show, and washed out or was shown and more than likely washed out.

They do not want those horses feet to move when touched. If so, the horse may suffer consequences.
    I think we're saying the same thing, just using different terms. The horse MUST allow someone to pick up it's leg to be inspected but MUST NOT show any sort of reaction to someone picking up their leg and checking for soreness and scars.
    Does the horse have scars? Any word on the papers for the horse? When is the vet due out?

Yes the hooves are lifted by the DQP in the inspection process. they then use hoof testers and if needed a tool to check the shoe's dimensions.

they just cannot flinch when prodded or poked.

Wow I am very late to the party and just caught up on all 17 pages! Bless all of you who helped this horse, including Mr. Exum. I wish I could help financially but alas I am unemployed and have nothing extra to give.

I'll continue to watch this thread. I'm so excited to see what he'll turn out like!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've heard talk of "another thread"...

What is this other thread?

Good job everybody!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Dallas County Auction horses - foster homes are lined up, looking for auction help:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-auction-horse

Quote Originally Posted by dogontired View Post
    with the help of an angel, we have located foster homes for both horses!!!!!! Thank you Jenn!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to coordinate this effort thru PMs so we don't get in trouble with the Mods, I plan on bidding for one of the horses and want to have a specific person bidding for the other so that (a) we can get both horses bailed out and (b) there are not multiple COTHers bidding against each other.

Please PM me if you're interested in being the bidder for the second horse, and I'll do what War Admiral did for the TN Craigslist horse by coordinating the donation effort as well to facilitate getting the $$ to the fosters to cover expenses for these boys.

Y'all COTHers are an amazing bunch, thank you so much for your help in bailing these poor boys out and giving them another chance at a good life!!!!!! Or as we'd say in Pittsburgh, y'inzers are the bomb!

Hi, Everyone. We got a small area fenced off for him and he's been out grazing for about an hour. That gave me a chance to give his stall a good cleaning and re-bedding. As for all the attention this horse is getting, he just happens to be a TWH. We would have done this for any horse. Please don't make him a poster child for breed abuse. We just want him to rehab and go on to a great home. It's nice that Roy is interested in him, and we've exchanged emails. I don't think any of what we've all pitched in to do is self-serving, but I think if we try to make this about the TWH, it could become self-serving. We also need to respect the privacy and confidentiality of everyone involved. I'm a quiet person, and don't really like a lot of attention. Thanks!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

10 members found this post helpful.

Glad he's doing well. Have a good weekend, Pony4me.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Hi, Everyone. We got a small area fenced off for him and he's been out grazing for about an hour. That gave me a chance to give his stall a good cleaning and re-bedding. As for all the attention this horse is getting, he just happens to be a TWH. We would have done this for any horse. Please don't make him a poster child for breed abuse. We just want him to rehab and go on to a great home. It's nice that Roy is interested in him, and we've exchanged emails. I don't think any of what we've all pitched in to do is self-serving, but I think if we try to make this about the TWH, it could become self-serving. We also need to respect the privacy and confidentiality of everyone involved. I'm a quiet person, and don't really like a lot of attention. Thanks!

Sorry bout the perfect storm thing. Yes - too much attention can be just too much. The good thing this horse is getting such good care. And it is also a plus that a man's good effort was honored with a potential name.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Sir is "famous"!!!! Roy Exum mentions us in his column today!!! So very glad to read that the tests were negative. Kick on, Mr. Exum!!

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/2...lly-Doing.aspx
    I think I've seen too many murder mysteries. My first thought when I read about his many broken bones and cancer suspicions was not, "Oh, how awful to have bone cancer!" but, "Hmmm, what kind of poison or chemical could cause bone breakage? Could it be his enemies, who specialize in threats, weird chemicals, and who are rumored to have committed heinous crimes against people as well as horses, have somehow poisoned him?" I'll have to start another thread called, "What ingestible or applied substances cause brittle bones?"

I'm sort of leaning towards "Sir Roy" at this point, or "Sir Roy Exum". Although given the Pusher bloodlines, "Roy's Pushin' The Press" really IS damn funny!
    I think "Sir Exum" has a nice sibilance and it rolls off the tongue almost as well as "Sir Roy."

Smile

Yes, it's just the @ sign.

BTW - can anyone recommend a trainer for flat-shod TWH? (Thinking ahead a little bit, I grant you, but an old lady can dream...!)

I'll be interested to see if he *really* gaits or whether he's just pacey as so many of the trail horses are...

ETA: If anyone has a Charmayne James Air Ride barrel pad they can donate to the cause that would be helpful. The last time I rehabbed one like this, that was by far her pad of choice, and it will work well under a saddle seat saddle. Doesn't have to be a new one, it can be yucky, I have pads I'm planning to put underneath & on top of it, but I have found it helped a lot with a horse with weak back muscles.
    yes! Larry Whitesell. he is incredible.

you guys, I'v finally joined COTH because of this thread, after years of intermittent reading. I'm proud to be here among you all.
    It's so simple.

Larry Whitesell

4 members found this post helpful.

Welcome, C-Dog! Glad we got you to de-lurk!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Roy has spoken.I hope its ok to copy his email here.

Oh, goodness ...
    I couldn't begin to say ... I appreciate "Roy's Courage" because that transcends into my health issues and what so many did to rescue the horse was pretty courageous in itself. I also think "Courage" is a great name for a Walker with their Civil War heritage and everything ... You also have to remember once we stomp the fire out the horse will hopefully live for much longer.
    I just appreciate you folks so much. It's "big medicine" indeed!
    Roy

this is soooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    .... As for all the attention this horse is getting, he just happens to be a TWH. We would have done this for any horse. Please don't make him a poster child for breed abuse. ..... We also need to respect the privacy and confidentiality of everyone involved. I'm a quiet person, and don't really like a lot of attention. Thanks!
    ~ this ~

In the end, the choice is: do you spend your energy on banging people up side the head for their "failures" with horses, or do you spend your energy saving one horse at a time and giving them an opportunity for a brighter future (or in worst case scenario, a dignified peaceful death)?

As for Pony and the others who bailed this boy out, it's clear their passion is to move forward and actually 'do' something. Thank you for your quiet and steady leadership, Pony.....

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    "Hmmm, what kind of poison or chemical could cause bone breakage? Could it be his enemies, who specialize in threats, weird chemicals, and who are rumored to have committed heinous crimes against people as well as horses, have somehow poisoned him?" I'll have to start another thread called, "What ingestible or applied substances cause brittle bones?"
    Fluoride causes brittle bones.
    Other things also but Fl that is the first to come to mind.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6