The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Hi, everyone. Wednesday evening update. He's eating, drinking and pooping. he got out for a hand graze this morning and again this evening. Vet has been scheduled. My WONDERFUL farrier has donated hoof trims! Donations are sufficient to cover expenses, and we are thankful and overwhelmed.

I know there are some people who felt we should have called animal control. I don't feel we should, but that's my personal opinion. The other thing I really don't like is that someone took the facebook picture I posted last night and says (may or may not be serious about doing so) that he or she is going to call animal control. That really was not a nice thing to do. So going forward, you will have to be content with a written update, and not pix. If you wish to friend me on facebook, please also send me a pm here so I can match your real name with your COTH name and decide whether or not to accept the friend request. If you are one of the several new friends I picked up last night, please also send me a pm. Sorry to have to do this. Some crapheads make things bad for everyone.
    You can just upload them to photobucket or one of the other photo sharing website. Sorry that people are such jerks. I do, however, think you should report this guy to the A/C...nice guy or not. He at least needs a lesson in proper horse care. Now, whether the A/C in that area is capable or not, we don't have a clue, but you really should at least give it a shot.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I wouldn't like that either but let them steal pictures and fantasize about what a great group of do-gooders they are.

I "thought" they were told that whomever had the horse would have to speak with AC directly. Also, they would have to know where the guy lives and if you think any AC in this country has the resources to go after a guy who is doing what he should be doing by getting rid of the horses then you would likely be mistaken. AC would get laughed out of court if they tried to prosecute someone who no longer owned the animal. So if you do not think AC is the route to go then I would not stress about it. Thomas1 is just a bully with some mindless followers.

I particularly liked his comment about potential "self serving" homes that thomas1 made - cause we all know how good of a deal it is to ship an emaciated and unknown horse 800 miles and spend a year rehabbing them or to even maybe find out the horse has an illness that is causing the weight problem. It is especially a good deal when said horse may very well have long term damage, may or may not be trained and may or may not just end up being a pasture ornament for various reasons. Damn, I am self serving. Especially when perusing Nashville craigslist yesterday I saw numerous cute horses for $800 or less who appeared fat, healthy and trained.

So, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Thomas1 says. He is just a nasty, old man. Don't let him take away the pleasure of others to see how you are doing with this horse.
    Exactly! Why let some troll pull your chain? This guy probably is 800 lbs., lives in a trailer full of empty beer cans, doesn't know a horse's ass from his sister's, and is home all day 'cause he's on the dole. Visualize, people, visualize!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    All I can say is, the folks on the other board sure are expending an awful lot of time and energy on this thread when they could be out there helping other horses...

I note the cremello is still for sale; if anyone over there wants him they can hop right on over and grab him this very day. Louisiana Horse Rescue still has about 30 emaciated TBs from Ryder that need homes, help, and money. Mid-VA Horse Rescue just took in an emaciated TB who needs fostering. And those are just the ones that have crossed my FB feed in the past 24 hours...

So that's about 33 opportunities to do something constructive that have passed them all by while they were wasting time whinging and moaning about the likes of us, stealing P4's photographs, castigating us for outbidding a nonexistent seller, and threatening to give all our contact info to Animal Control... in the wrong county no less!!

ETA: Late Entry, just noticed this one. Folks on TOB, if you *really* want to call Animal Control on someone, why don't you do it on this guy, who has over 80 that need help, and who permitted a colt too starved and weak to stand up to be pecked to death by vultures??

Me, I'm with Pony4Me - it's pretty difficult to justify calling AC on an owner who is doing the *right* thing by offloading horses he cannot feed and has no use for.
    Let me start by saying...you guys are awesome and Starfish is a highly appropriate name.

But...here it comes, the owner was NOT doing the right thing. The right thing (and what caring responsible people do in this type of situation if they can't afford to feed their animal) is to GIVE it away. What I'm seeing instead, is a guy who got as much as he could out of a starving horse.

It's no different that the dog owner on craigslist who needs to rehome his very skinny dog with no vet care and is "oh so sad" to give him up. And oh, by the way, he wants a $100 rehoming fee. No different at all.

To add insult to injury, that same dog owner will probably take that $100 and go buy a cute puppy...that will be back on craigslist when it's not so cute anymore.

2 members found this post helpful.

Just wanted to say, although I don't agree on not reporting, what you all have done is truly amazing!

Can someone pm me a paypal address, so I don't have to wade through the 14 pages?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Well this is interesting. someone on TOB said she wished she'd seen the horse first, as she would have gone over and gotten him and all the other horses there! She says we are leaving the other horses in a bad situation, etc. But hey, aren't all the other horses still there? She could drive right over and buy all of them! We aren't stopping her from doing that! And we'd all be happy that she got them and gave them food and all. Oh wait, maybe she's just saying that and doesn't plan on buying the others to save them? Those guys could take up money and buy those horses and get them out of there. Won't they? (Note to self, don't go look at what the litter boxers are still saying about us Cothers year after year after year on other boards, free speech or not.)
    No chains on her legs...let her run over and get 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I wouldn't like that either but let them steal pictures and fantasize about what a great group of do-gooders they are.

I "thought" they were told that whomever had the horse would have to speak with AC directly. Also, they would have to know where the guy lives and if you think any AC in this country has the resources to go after a guy who is doing what he should be doing by getting rid of the horses then you would likely be mistaken. AC would get laughed out of court if they tried to prosecute someone who no longer owned the animal. So if you do not think AC is the route to go then I would not stress about it. Thomas1 is just a bully with some mindless followers.

I particularly liked his comment about potential "self serving" homes that thomas1 made - cause we all know how good of a deal it is to ship an emaciated and unknown horse 800 miles and spend a year rehabbing them or to even maybe find out the horse has an illness that is causing the weight problem. It is especially a good deal when said horse may very well have long term damage, may or may not be trained and may or may not just end up being a pasture ornament for various reasons. Damn, I am self serving. Especially when perusing Nashville craigslist yesterday I saw numerous cute horses for $800 or less who appeared fat, healthy and trained.

So, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Thomas1 says. He is just a nasty, old man. Don't let him take away the pleasure of others to see how you are doing with this horse.
    Wow! There must be one on EVERY board! Makes me wonder if Thomas1 hides out under a different name on a board of a different hobby I have! If so, he must just do internet all day long and nothing else!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Let me start by saying...you guys are awesome and Starfish is a highly appropriate name.

But...here it comes, the owner was NOT doing the right thing. The right thing (and what caring responsible people do in this type of situation if they can't afford to feed their animal) is to GIVE it away. What I'm seeing instead, is a guy who got as much as he could out of a starving horse.

It's no different that the dog owner on craigslist who needs to rehome his very skinny dog with no vet care and is "oh so sad" to give him up. And oh, by the way, he wants a $100 rehoming fee. No different at all.

To add insult to injury, that same dog owner will probably take that $100 and go buy a cute puppy...that will be back on craigslist when it's not so cute anymore.
    Let me start by saying that I am NOT defending the original owner of the horse...not at all...but if he were to give it away, don't you think that would open it up to further abuse? I think it would either wind up being taken by a kill buyer or people who want to use it for other nefarious means (horse tripping, backyard butchering for dog meat, what have you) so I don't know that there was a good answer besides the one we all know he already didn't do, which is care for the horse properly in the first place.

In one year's time here recently I have been offered 12...TWELVE!...free horses. I do not now know the whereabouts of any of these horses. I have to hope they landed somewhere good, because all of their owners were not strangers to me, but we don't know that. Offering the horse for $800 on CL and then taking less did in fact keep the wolves at bay in this instance. I don't know that giving him away would have yielded such great results.

RubyTuesday, you have a higher opinion of someone who starved a horse than I. I seriously doubt he accepted the money because he was worried about the horse...did he ask anyone for vet reference, etc? He got what he could out of a starving horse.

The neighbor at the end of my road who routinely breeds and starves his horses (yes I have reported him) appears to be a nice guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am NOT defending the original owner of the horse...not at all...but if he were to give it away, don't you think that would open it up to further abuse? I think it would either wind up being taken by a kill buyer or people who want to use it for other nefarious means (horse tripping, backyard butchering for dog meat, what have you) so I don't know that there was a good answer besides the one we all know he already didn't do, which is care for the horse properly in the first place.

Offering the horse for $800 on CL and then taking less did in fact keep the wolves at bay in this instance. I don't know that giving him away would have yielded such great results.
    It is a tough one-I agree that if the horse was "given away" the likelihood of kill buyers/etc. showing up immediately would be increased. I've always been told to price "freebies/companion horses etc." just above meat price and negotiate-to avoid that. At least someone willing to pay (even a little bit) is more likely (hopefully) to actually take care of the horse.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

That's how it is around here, too--"give aways" are at risk of being swept up under all kinds of false pretenses by KB's.

If you put a copyright C hey where is that on my computer? and your name on each picture, that means people cannot use your pix without paying you. If they do, complain to whatever board they are posting on, and PM them a bill for say, $1000 for each pix.

I had to pay $ for a pix of Cloudy when I bought him because a photographer had copyrighted it.

SUPERB gait-recognition & training video!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Training-the...item1c306cfe4b

This is positively THE BEST SOURCE of information I've EVER seen on what is correct, how to get it, and most importantly what NOT to do training the gaited horse. Starts off a little talky, then goes into lots and LOTS of footage of a variety of Walkers, Rocky Mountain and Kentucky Mountain horses at various stages of training. Gary Lane and Anita Howe, two experts who made this DVD together, show you some very specific markers to be aware of as you work a horse in training of whatever level. They also go into considerable detail about the differences in style and frame between the flat-shod or barefoot trail horse and the plantation-shod show horse.

They emphasize calm, forward, straight just like dressage folks, but then add the all-important concept of the "neutral" top line to develop maximum reach and engagement. Above all, do not add speed until the horse is giving you a clean, even, level, 4-beat walk at 3-4 mph.

Wonderful split-screen footage contrasting some very nice horses they have in training with some of the "greats" from the thirties and forties--they're entirely right in their contention that we have lost nothing from these breeds as long as we TAKE OUR TIME to develop them over months and years and do not try to "nail on" gait.

All Walker people will get tons out of this, but Sir's new owners in particular should find it a huge leg up on what to expect when you get on him, and what to do to develop his potential. (I have no commerical or personal affiliation with the video's producers, principals, or sponsors).

GET IT!

Lady E hit the nail on the head with that video that can be purchased on Ebay. This would be an excellent gift for whoever ends up owning Sir.....I can't donate any more money right now but perhaps after the first of the month, if funds allow.

I'm donating over on the Texas horses (2) thread, if someone will foster them. So cannot donate for a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Exactly! Why let some troll pull your chain? This guy probably is 800 lbs., lives in a trailer full of empty beer cans, doesn't know a horse's ass from his sister's, and is home all day 'cause he's on the dole. Visualize, people, visualize!
    Really? Flip through his website and let me know where you find the trailer trash, cause I must've missed it. Thomas may not be a candidate for the diplomatic corps, but he's the real deal when it comes to horses.

But the guy who let the horse get into that condition did not do the right thing by trying to wring the last few hundred out of him before he dumped him on someone else. I'll agree y'all saved the horse, but at the cost of enriching an asshat. Not saying it was the wrong thing to do - from the horse's point of view it was a win. Unfortunately, also a win for the asshat. You can't have everything.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

Not much to report today. He's very good at eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and grazing. We should be fencing his turnout paddock tomorrow. He's got an end stall and the paddock will allow him to be in his stall, or outside as he prefers. I tried picking up his feet, but he pulls away, so that's another thing to work on. He's getting better about the halter. I think he's wondering why we put it on and take it off so many times.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

7 members found this post helpful.

Wow! He got a corner office? with a big window? and an atrium? Lucky boy!

Eating, peeing and pooping is a great report on him. Good Boy!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I'm donating over on the Texas horses (2) thread, if someone will foster them. So cannot donate for a video.
    working on getting them fostered, C&C, stay in touch. Paypal may be going to the foster, bail money may be already covered. Follow the other thread, I'll post details as they come along.
    Last edited by dogontired; May. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: adding info

Fantastic report: eating, drinking, peeing and pooping are all excellent! Great, steady start. Thanks again for getting this boy a get outa jail free card.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    ...the guy who let the horse get into that condition did not do the right thing by trying to wring the last few hundred out of him before he dumped him on someone else. I'll agree y'all saved the horse, but at the cost of enriching an asshat. Not saying it was the wrong thing to do - from the horse's point of view it was a win. Unfortunately, also a win for the asshat. You can't have everything.
    I wonder what the guy's story was? He may have sold the horse, but he's not getting rich at $300. Of course, he won't have to continue to feed the horse... well, maybe that's where the profit was.

The worrisome thing is that he has so many other horses to sell. If he had inherited the horses from relative or ex and was just trying to get rid of them it wouldn't be such a big deal, I could chalk it up to ignorance that won't be repeated, but if he intends to get into the business of horse dealing without learning a little about standards and care, it's scary and sad for the horses. Maybe the local horse people will keep an eye on him after this and if he keeps up the bad antics, they can report him.

As for the guy being nice, well, that's one of the most disturbing things I've encountered in life, to see that people who do truly horrible things can appear to be the nicest people.