The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

I'm delighted this horse is getting a chance at a good life, and I'm really impressed with the lengths everyone went to to save him.

But I'm still concerned about the other horses. Those the guy still has, and the ones he'll get in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    The seller also has a cremello TWH gelding also to sell, and a white "saddle mule" which means he is gaited. I saw him move and he is gaited, so is the cremello. He did put the cremello on CL a few hours ago. The TWH cremello has a BS of 3. The red one was 2. He has a small black TWH mare also. !
    A BS of 3 is still pretty thin, right? Only one number up from the red TWH?

So I don't know that we can say this horse was just low on the pecking order and that's why he's so thin. And even so, I don't see how this excuses the owner. He could still see the horse was emaciated, no matter whether it was from starvation or bullying. But the only thing he wanted to do about it was sell the thinnest horse.

I know some of you have seen the sale ad for the cremello and in those pictures he looks OK, but rmh_rider just saw the horse and says he's thin, too.

Maybe some of the COTH'ers involved in this are pursuing things with law enforcement and just don't want it all over the Internet right now. If so, I certainly understand.

I don't know. We used to debate this in border collie rescue all the time. Which is more important - punishing the abusive owner and protecting animals he may abuse in the future or rescuing the animal he's abusing now? Because it's true that many times one can't pursue both goals - at least not at the same time.

Anyway, at least we know this had a happy outcome for one horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

You all have made my heart smile today. So very happy to hear this guy gets a good chance. I know you can't save them all, but giving one out there a potential to live out a safe and useful life earns these folks some wings. Thank you to all who have helped in some way. I'm only sorry that I have to sit on the sidelines on this one.

And the cynics can suck it. :-)

4 members found this post helpful.

Well this is interesting. someone on TOB said she wished she'd seen the horse first, as she would have gone over and gotten him and all the other horses there! She says we are leaving the other horses in a bad situation, etc. But hey, aren't all the other horses still there? She could drive right over and buy all of them! We aren't stopping her from doing that! And we'd all be happy that she got them and gave them food and all. Oh wait, maybe she's just saying that and doesn't plan on buying the others to save them? Those guys could take up money and buy those horses and get them out of there. Won't they? (Note to self, don't go look at what the litter boxers are still saying about us Cothers year after year after year on other boards, free speech or not.)

14 members found this post helpful.

I didn't think anyone still used the Litter Box board LOL shows you how well I'm paying attention I guess.

1 members found this post helpful.

Really happy this horse is out of there. Makes me wonder if the "nice people" that owned him have figured out the best way to make money on a horse is save yourself the cost of feed and when the horse is skinny enough post it for sale on CL.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Well this is interesting. someone on TOB said she wished she'd seen the horse first, as she would have gone over and gotten him and all the other horses there! She says we are leaving the other horses in a bad situation, etc. But hey, aren't all the other horses still there? She could drive right over and buy all of them! We aren't stopping her from doing that! And we'd all be happy that she got them and gave them food and all. Oh wait, maybe she's just saying that and doesn't plan on buying the others to save them? Those guys could take up money and buy those horses and get them out of there. Won't they? (Note to self, don't go look at what the litter boxers are still saying about us Cothers year after year after year on other boards, free speech or not.)
    Ha definitely agree! The seller's phone number is still on our boy's CL ad that was copied and pasted on that board - If she was actually serious, she could easily text/call and go right on over there and take the others...

Edited to add: Just saw the cremello's CL ad was also posted over there. I agree that he looks to be in decent weight; definitely no where close to Sir's condition!

http://fhotd64476.yuku.com/topic/535...6#.UZ0-4BwjlZc

4 members found this post helpful.

The others he had were a tad ribby, but nowhere near the state the red horse was in. As the grass is coming in and he has them out on (poor) pasture, they'll probably regain some of that weight this summer.

This guy was ignorant and looked like a methhead, but he wasn't deliberately cruel, IMHO. According to him, he was feeding Sir more than he feeds everyone else and he still wouldn't hold weight. He also said he'd dewormed him 45 days ago with Strongid. I don't know if I believe those last two statements.

StG

And I'm suggesting the name "Starfish" after the following story.
    “While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. there were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.”
    ― Loren Eiseley
    We did indeed make a difference for this one.

StG

13 members found this post helpful.

Hi All! Congrats on finding this guy a home...I am overwhelmed and under water and can't read through all the threads to find the paypal ... will someone send it to me so I can send something?

I'm not sure what it's real name is as I have never been there before. Apparently I have not been missing anything...

It occurred to me later that Thomas1 probably thought you were feeding him toll house chocolate chip cookies, not horse cookies? Priceless.

http://fhotd64476.yuku.com/topic/535...2#.UZ1j-UoU-Sp
    Last edited by sketcher; May. 22, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    According to him, he was feeding Sir more than he feeds everyone else and he still wouldn't hold weight. He also said he'd dewormed him 45 days ago with Strongid. I don't know if I believe those last two statements.
    StG
    Well, as to the worming we'll know when the fecal results are back - but around here, a lot of... what's that divine phrase... "low information" horse owners feed the cheapest possible milled feed, and you could *pour* that cr*p to a horse and all you'd end up with is ulcers and weight loss... especially if it's getting no forage. So it could very well be true that he was feeding Sir more, but perhaps just wasn't feeding him the *right* feed... Alternatively, since I haven't seen Sir yet and the vet hasn't seen him yet either, we must at least ALLOW for the possibility that there might be something wrong with the horse systemically. I tend to be a wild-eyed optimist/dreamer b/c it's much more FUN than being pessimistic - and it keeps one's spirits up through the inevitable difficult phases with a rescue - but we should have both answers in a week or so when vet gets out and test results start coming back in. I'll be meeting Sir this weekend (yay!) and will report back!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

Hi, everyone. Wednesday evening update. He's eating, drinking and pooping. he got out for a hand graze this morning and again this evening. Vet has been scheduled. My WONDERFUL farrier has donated hoof trims! Donations are sufficient to cover expenses, and we are thankful and overwhelmed.

I know there are some people who felt we should have called animal control. I don't feel we should, but that's my personal opinion. The other thing I really don't like is that someone took the facebook picture I posted last night and says (may or may not be serious about doing so) that he or she is going to call animal control. That really was not a nice thing to do. So going forward, you will have to be content with a written update, and not pix. If you wish to friend me on facebook, please also send me a pm here so I can match your real name with your COTH name and decide whether or not to accept the friend request. If you are one of the several new friends I picked up last night, please also send me a pm. Sorry to have to do this. Some crapheads make things bad for everyone.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    And I'm suggesting the name "Starfish" after the following story.

We did indeed make a difference for this one.

StG
    Perfect name!!!!!
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Hi, everyone. Wednesday evening update. He's eating, drinking and pooping. he got out for a hand graze this morning and again this evening. Vet has been scheduled. My WONDERFUL farrier has donated hoof trims! Donations are sufficient to cover expenses, and we are thankful and overwhelmed.

I know there are some people who felt we should have called animal control. I don't feel we should, but that's my personal opinion. The other thing I really don't like is that someone took the facebook picture I posted last night and says (may or may not be serious about doing so) that he or she is going to call animal control. That really was not a nice thing to do. So going forward, you will have to be content with a written update, and not pix. If you wish to friend me on facebook, please also send me a pm here so I can match your real name with your COTH name and decide whether or not to accept the friend request. If you are one of the several new friends I picked up last night, please also send me a pm. Sorry to have to do this. Some crapheads make things bad for everyone.
    there's the vultures swooping in from Snottish Borders, telling everyone how to live. No big surprise in that.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    there's the vultures swooping in from Snottish Borders, telling everyone how to live. No big surprise in that.
    Lord. Now I understand the AC complaint of internet crazies - but they aren't the uneducated bleeding hearts some lead me to believe. Seems some of the crazies are equine experts with mad surmising skills that in fact know nothing first hand. And now I know why most AC will not take second hand reports. It must be like Nigerian SPam to them.

Though the purchase seems like the good deed and the Roy name thing seems appropriate for some like me who hold Roy Exum on high - the real good deed is this horse now in the full responsibility of someone willing and capable to take on his uncertain future. That for me is the really good luck of this horse crossing COTH's path. I look forward to following all that is done on this horse's behalf. So many potentials.

And despite my enthusiasm for Roy (Exum's Rolling ROYce came to mind), I think Sir Starfish is a great name.
    Last edited by hurleycane; May. 23, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    The other thing I really don't like is that someone took the facebook picture I posted last night and says (may or may not be serious about doing so) that he or she is going to call animal control.
    I wouldn't like that either but let them steal pictures and fantasize about what a great group of do-gooders they are.

I "thought" they were told that whomever had the horse would have to speak with AC directly. Also, they would have to know where the guy lives and if you think any AC in this country has the resources to go after a guy who is doing what he should be doing by getting rid of the horses then you would likely be mistaken. AC would get laughed out of court if they tried to prosecute someone who no longer owned the animal. So if you do not think AC is the route to go then I would not stress about it. Thomas1 is just a bully with some mindless followers.

I particularly liked his comment about potential "self serving" homes that thomas1 made - cause we all know how good of a deal it is to ship an emaciated and unknown horse 800 miles and spend a year rehabbing them or to even maybe find out the horse has an illness that is causing the weight problem. It is especially a good deal when said horse may very well have long term damage, may or may not be trained and may or may not just end up being a pasture ornament for various reasons. Damn, I am self serving. Especially when perusing Nashville craigslist yesterday I saw numerous cute horses for $800 or less who appeared fat, healthy and trained.

So, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Thomas1 says. He is just a nasty, old man. Don't let him take away the pleasure of others to see how you are doing with this horse.
    Last edited by sketcher; May. 23, 2013 at 07:09 AM.

11 members found this post helpful.

ok, I'd never been to that board before, although I did lurk over at the letterbox as one of their people befriended me and told me all about it back in 2008. I only looked when it was posted on this thread several times. So I'm not going back there.

However I do have to say one thing: Thomas did tell that Shamrock Acres person (who is in Chapel Hill, TN where our horse was!!!!) to either go buy some of the horses or shut up.

Thomas could be funny and he could be mean. Like Rick Burten and others, sometimes the sarcasm overrode his good judgment here. I don't know anything about driving so I cannot speak to his expertise or lack thereof in that field.

One horse saved! Only thousands to go! One at a time. We cannot save them all but we can give one horse at a time a new home. Makes a difference in the world.

Pony4me, don't let that board stop you from posting pix of our rescue. People just want to intimidate you, and you have to just do what is right and what you want to. Don't let an anonymous poster on another board inhibit you.

7 members found this post helpful.

All I can say is, the folks on the other board sure are expending an awful lot of time and energy on this thread when they could be out there helping other horses...

I note the cremello is still for sale; if anyone over there wants him they can hop right on over and grab him this very day. Louisiana Horse Rescue still has about 30 emaciated TBs from Ryder that need homes, help, and money. Mid-VA Horse Rescue just took in an emaciated TB who needs fostering. And those are just the ones that have crossed my FB feed in the past 24 hours...

So that's about 33 opportunities to do something constructive that have passed them all by while they were wasting time whinging and moaning about the likes of us, stealing P4's photographs, castigating us for outbidding a nonexistent seller, and threatening to give all our contact info to Animal Control... in the wrong county no less!!

ETA: Late Entry, just noticed this one. Folks on TOB, if you *really* want to call Animal Control on someone, why don't you do it on this guy, who has over 80 that need help, and who permitted a colt too starved and weak to stand up to be pecked to death by vultures??

Me, I'm with Pony4Me - it's pretty difficult to justify calling AC on an owner who is doing the *right* thing by offloading horses he cannot feed and has no use for.
    Last edited by War Admiral; May. 23, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

9 members found this post helpful.

I haven't checked FiSH in a while, but in Thomas's defense I believe enforcement of animal cruelty laws in the UK is miles ahead of what I've observed in the SE US. So I can understand why he thinks calling in the authorities would save not only this horse but the others on the property. Also, in the UK, I believe it's a lot more likely that a person found guilty of cruelty to animals can be barred from owning animals in the future. I can understand why this sounds like a better solution to Thomas.

Sadly, I can't say I have much faith in the ability of AC to effect the same result over here.

Even if AC had intervened in this situation, there was no guarantee the horse would've been saved. In fact, I think it's likely he might have been either euth'd or kept in a holding facility pending trial, which given the length of time these proceedings take and the horse's condition, could've been a death sentence for the horse. And after that, what? Some ACs auction off the horses after trial, if they get a guilty verdict. So I think Sir Roy Starfish hit the lottery, and I'm happy for him and think all y'all are to be congratulated for your parts in his rescue.

But I also understand Thomas's argument.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good morning! Thanks for all of the facebook friend requests. It's amazing how small the world is, and that some of us have been acquainted with each other for years.

The little guy had a nice graze this morning, and is eating and drinking well. He doesn't like being approached by a person with a halter. Obviously, halter = bad thing coming. We will change all that. I can get the halter on him easily enough by standing at his side, talking and scritching, but I like the horse to approach me, and put his head down for the halter. So much easier when you're vertically challenged, and older like I am. He's very sweet!

Have a great day!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

8 members found this post helpful.