The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

If one wants to handle the starved horse differently, one should go rescue their own starved horse and do it their own way.

One could go to Their Town's Craigslist and Make it Happen. Certainly more useful than criticizing those who already took on their own sack of bones.

15 members found this post helpful.

Great job people.........PM me the Paypal address to send my small dribble....until I have a farm/truck/trailer that's about all I'm good for-but I guess every little bit helps right?
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    If one wants to handle the starved horse differently, one should go rescue their own starved horse and do it their own way.

One could go to Their Town's Craigslist and Make it Happen. Certainly more useful than criticizing those who already took on their own sack of bones.
    I hope this is not directed to me.

I have taken no money, and *do not expect any $* for me hauling this horse. I made that crystal clear from the get go. I have no pay pal, and I have said I do not expect any money at all from it. I was simply trying to help out since I was so close to where the seller was located, (about 1.5 hours away) and I also had the time, the equipment, and lots of hauling experience to do so.

Th horse has the body score as he does in the photo. The seller was very nice, VERY.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not in any way directed at you rmh rider. Not at all.

someone questioned how he was being housed and frankly, ain't nobody got time for dat.

14 members found this post helpful.

Whew, not me, thanks very much for saying that it wasn't me Katarine. I mean that honestly. I just was trying to help get this horse closer to his new home.

rmh_rider

Naming goin in in 2 threads. So far here are some suggestions:
    Sir Roy
    Roy's Extra Proud
    Roy's Truth Rings
    Roy's Pushin the Press
    Roy Is On It
    Roy's Redman
    Sir Righteous Roy
    Roy's Press Release
    Roy's Full Court Press

Keep em coming !
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Here's a link to a photo. It should be set for public viewing, but if it's not, please let me know. Pardon the bad lighting and poor photo quality. He seem happy and interested in the food and scritches. He did NOT know what a cookie was. We'll have to work on that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    It'll be good to have the eyes of experienced Walker people on him. One thing to know is that in GOOD condition, hard using condition that is, they tend to run a lot leaner than WB's or QH's. Being young, you can actually expect him to pop back from this PDQ. Hopefully, he's already broke, at least the ad said so. Get yourself a big, built-up Western pad and after a week or so (and only with vet's approval), start hopping on him. It'll be good for muscling him up, and also to get him accepting, respecting and listening to you before he feels so good he's full of major beans! We've rehabilitated 2 who were this bad or worse, and getting them u/s as soon as they are able really helps them pick up fast!

Honest truth, some days lately logging on COTH has felt like a spiritual beating--so many horrid, greedy unfeeling creeps doing so many horrible or stupid things to horses. You guys have totally, massively, fantastically restored my faith that for every A-hole and jackwagon out there, there are 50 people who'll step up to the plate and put their time, love, barn, and money on the line for a horse in trouble. I'm proud and humbled to be a member of the COTH tribe tonight!

God bless and keep us posted on how he comes along . . . way to go!

15 members found this post helpful.

Thank you all for the details! It is a very good end to the purchase. Now on to the hard stuff, right? He looks like he will make it - pretty bright eyed for the shape he is in.

RMH it was fantastic for you to drive so far to do this - time is not cheap and neither is gas.

You all were fantastic to sweep in like you did. Gonna be a lot of work ahead for pony4 and the Red Guy.

But don't take his story off COTH - gotta follow along with him. It would be a good opportunity to see what it takes to move him up the Henneke scale. And then to make him a useful partner for an owner one day.

As we all know - the purchase is the least expense.

But the paybacks are incredible!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

4 members found this post helpful.

His name should be Fahrenheit.

I do not think he will be rideable for a long many many months. Oh I forgot, I saw the bit he was using and it is a plain snaffle with an 8" shank. It was one of those interchangeable bit/shanks. So no heavy big bit, doubt you would need a long shank like that. On my gaited horse I do not use a shank that long. Much shorter.

1 members found this post helpful.

This thread made me tear up a little bit! Such a wonderful effort by everyone to rescue to boy so happy he's in a new home and getting the love he deserves!

Considering the former owner has a bunch of other horses, and you say both he and his girlfriend seemed nice, what was your take on why they're so thin? Was he unaware that this IS too thin? Did he offer any explanation? PM me if you want to keep it private for their sake; this guy is a quality horse who is a dead ringer for several bred by a close friend of mine who also has a cremello stud, so I'm kind of wondering if he bought some of her babies. If it's a cluster-f. and he's out of money, she might help out as well, especially if they were hers. Her old stud threw a lot of red 'uns with that white nose which made me wonder.

I'm assuming we're not calling in the air-strike from Animal Control?

What a great happy ending story to read!!! He looks like he is going to be absolutely gorgeous when he fills out. Great work everybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Considering the former owner has a bunch of other horses, and you say both he and his girlfriend seemed nice, what was your take on why they're so thin? Was he unaware that this IS too thin? Did he offer any explanation? PM me if you want to keep it private for their sake; this guy is a quality horse who is a dead ringer for several bred by a close friend of mine who also has a cremello stud, so I'm kind of wondering if he bought some of her babies. If it's a cluster-f. and he's out of money, she might help out as well, especially if they were hers. Her old stud threw a lot of red 'uns with that white nose which made me wonder.

I'm assuming we're not calling in the air-strike from Animal Control?
    Also wondering the same thing regarding the owner's explanation for his horse's condition. Really was hoping to hear that he had no other horses, but at least it sounds like we got the one who was the worst off. Browsed through CL to see what the cremello looks like but couldn't find the ad... Really hoping that horse has also found a knowledgeable, loving home. I'm also guessing/hoping that the mule and black mare were at a relatively healthy weight since rmh_rider didn't mention their condition.

Is the link to the Google Doc on here somewhere or does someone need to send it to me?

Love hearing every single snippet of this story and so glad he's in a nice safe warm barn tonight with all the storms passing through TN. Please keep updating about this feller......I feel like he's a part of each of us.

So many good things about this thread... COTHers teaming together for good, volunteering their funds, offering a place to stay, going out of their way to haul on short notice, coordinating the response to the ad, fronting the money for this sweet looking horse, and so on. And I swear Sir (seems to fit, at least for now) seems quite happy in his new stall.

It's been a pleasure to read this thread and live a bit vicariously.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post

Oh for heaven's sake, I just asked a question! Lighten up. If I don't ask, I don't learn, and there may well have been a reason, other than expediency, for keeping a starving horse in a stall rather than a paddock. And for what it's worth, I have rescued several starving horses and fattened them up nicely; but if there is a reason to do things differently than what I have been doing, well, I'd like to know.

As for my question being useful, perhaps the answers (or the question) could be useful for another reader.

And I certainly could not be criticizing this wonderful good deed, the time expended to make it happen, the incredible generosity of so many, or the beautiful, sturdy, clean stall that Sir is enjoying!

10 members found this post helpful.

"To Sir, With Love" (a Sidney Portier movie).
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

11 members found this post helpful.

^ ^ ^ Great name idea!

We'll add that to the list! Although if his reg. name is Fahrenheit that may be a pretty cool name for this horse... Pony4Me says his personality is very fizzy! As to tack... well... I knew I kept all that saddle seat stuff for a reason... When it does come time to put stuff on him we have everything we need! I even have a TWH *show bridle* that I bought for *one* photo session w/ my ASB just b/c I thought the colors on the browband and cavesson were pretty! I'll dig it out and once he has weight on him I'll pick up a show girth at World Champion on my way to Pony4Me's some weekend, and then we can say he ships with tack! I have a pretty leather halter for him too. He'll be stylin' within weeks!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't forget to select "gift" when you paypal, so no fee will be deducted. The horse is obviously "family or friend" so make sure he gets all the money to go with him for wormer and vet and all.

And just double checking, is the paypal address with a _ before and after the @? Nope, it's not. Got to recheck before paypal sent. I once sent some $ to another Cother to buy a CL horse and added or subtracted an "L" from her name. Finally got that right!

Thanks to all who organized and did all the hard work and physical labor. Make sure you get gas money out of Sir's stash.