The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

I'm wondering why you want to confine him to a stall? Because he is so thin, I can't imagine he has the energy to be galloping around and losing more weight. It just seems like it would be better to follow the feeding protocol for starved horses and let him have a little space to walk around, with the idea that a little movement helps with digestion, maintains hoof health, and minimizes stress. Of course, this is assuming you have a small bare paddock, round pen, or arena.

I can see one advantage to a stall: it can be heavily bedded to encourage him to rest and to support those bony prominences and prevent bedsores when he is lying down. So it would seem to me the best of both worlds would be a heavily-bedded stall with access to a grass-free paddock.

What do you think?

5 members found this post helpful.

How awesome is this! ?

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    How awesome is this! ?
    No kidding, it is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    Just a reminder that we don't allow direct fundraising efforts on the site for non-501c3 organizations. You all are obviously doing a great job in getting this guy into better hands, so we'll leave the thread open to keep folks updated and help with organization, but the fundraising will have to take place off the site to comply with our posting policies.

Thanks and good luck today!
    Mod 1
    Thanks Mod 1, so sorry, it's been so long since I did one of these that I forgot!!

I'm updating the spreadsheet now and we'll let Google Docs host that, I do believe. They're rich.

Horsey is supposedly on his way now & en route to Pony4Me! Yay!! Thanks y'all!!!

I really liked some of the names for the poor boy that were being submitted on the TWH Abuse thread. If someone would like to help in some way but has no $, maybe one of you could compile them all into a poll here on COTH so everyone can vote on what his name should be?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Sometimes people are well-meaning but just a sad mess. Usually it's ignorance. The main thing is you guys got the horse out of there. To rescue one who's only 5 and just needs groceries and an owner is the TOTALLY RIGHT way to "do" rescue. And you may now have a fabulous horse--Walkers are real "try-ers," and very, very practical. As "using" horses they can't be beat; and I was a QH person for the first 40 years!
    Just a sentimental kind of day I suppose, but this really choked me up Yes, they are "try-ers" and so darn good at forgetting and forgiving.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think the stall confinement might be due to limited housing availability given the short notice of TWH's arrival (today!). My understanding is the question was a "is this going to be okay for now?"

Hey - what's the new boy's name? Oops - just read WA post. A naming poll is excellent idea!

2 members found this post helpful.

Update for all concerned. He's here, and he's very thin. He's in a stall for a couple of days for safekeeping, but we will hand graze him once he's settled down. He has a lot of energy, and is only about five years old.

I will post pictures later, and we'll take this all off-line so we can comply with the COTH fundraising rules. I will have to clean my PM box out so give me a day or two to get all of this digested and under control.

Thanks very much to all who helped. I got to meet St. Germain and rmh_rider. I already knew Noctis and War Admiral. Great folks, and I look forward to meeting many more of you.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

16 members found this post helpful.

Quick naming update - Noctis' 5 y/o daughter "LittleMissNoctis" wanted to know if he could have "Sir" for a barn name "because he looked so sad but still dignified". I asked LMN if we could consider "Sir Roy" and she liked that so let's add that one to the poll if you please!

Thanks so much all y'all, we'll be in touch w/ the link to the Google Doc once I get it finished & posted! (It'll be tonight for sure.)
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you SO much to everyone who pulled together to get this guy in a safe place. You are all AMAZING. I do think we have a record for getting this together in less than 24hrs!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Quick naming update - Noctis' 5 y/o daughter "LittleMissNoctis" wanted to know if he could have "Sir" for a barn name "because he looked so sad but still dignified". I asked LMN if we could consider "Sir Roy" and she liked that so let's add that one to the poll if you please!

Thanks so much all y'all, we'll be in touch w/ the link to the Google Doc once I get it finished & posted! (It'll be tonight for sure.)
    Someone post on here when the poll is up? I'm liking all the things with Roy and "SIR" is a great addition!

Well done, all of you!

You guys are AWESOME!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

OK, I am NO great genius with Google Docs, who wants to beta test the link for me? I *think* it works but it would be rather nice to be sure before I start sending it! PM me if you can help!

I can, sent you a message

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    I'm wondering why you want to confine him to a stall? Because he is so thin, I can't imagine he has the energy to be galloping around and losing more weight. It just seems like it would be better to follow the feeding protocol for starved horses and let him have a little space to walk around, with the idea that a little movement helps with digestion, maintains hoof health, and minimizes stress. Of course, this is assuming you have a small bare paddock, round pen, or arena.

I can see one advantage to a stall: it can be heavily bedded to encourage him to rest and to support those bony prominences and prevent bedsores when he is lying down. So it would seem to me the best of both worlds would be a heavily-bedded stall with access to a grass-free paddock.

What do you think?
    Let us not forget proper quarantine and sanitary measures. One starved horse is not a reason to endanger others on the premise.

7 members found this post helpful.

Here's a link to a photo. It should be set for public viewing, but if it's not, please let me know. Pardon the bad lighting and poor photo quality. He seem happy and interested in the food and scritches. He did NOT know what a cookie was. We'll have to work on that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Here's a link to a photo. It should be set for public viewing, but if it's not, please let me know. Pardon the bad lighting and poor photo quality. He seem happy and interested in the food and scritches. He did NOT know what a cookie was. We'll have to work on that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Aww he looks so happy!!! You guys rock! Great job!

Thank you so much for doing this! You are amazing, all of you.

2 members found this post helpful.

Whew. I am home. About an hour ago.

The guy who was selling the horse was very nice. Very. He had the most lovely light green shade of eyes. He is a younger guy. His girlfriend was there and she was very nice too.

All went well. The seller also has a cremello TWH gelding also to sell, and a white "saddle mule" which means he is gaited. I saw him move and he is gaited, so is the cremello. He did put the cremello on CL a few hours ago. The TWH cremello has a BS of 3. The red one was 2. He has a small black TWH mare also. Oh and a goat with some horns. Not sure if the black mare, or goat is for sale. I think the cremello is young also. Probably under 5.

St Germain, and Pony4me (and Pony's husband) were SO nice. Their barn is perfect. Very sturdy, clean, quiet. Just perfect.

There may be papers available. I got St Germain to ask about them. Maybe he will send them.

Except for me loosing my cell phone in the house before I left (dratted all, but found it in the kitchen), there was free XM in the truck (must be for the memorial weekend - thanks XM), and the weather was 15 degrees cooler there, than it was an hour south, the drive was smooth, getting the horse easy also. He loaded, unloaded, Pony4Me's husband took the mail box out, I got out on the road just fine and didn't get in the ditch, and I got home just fine! Thanks of course to my GPS.

Whew. No lama drama. Ya!

Anytime you go up to TN it is always SO lovely. Rolling hills of vivid green, beautiful landscapes, homes and property which makes you gasp at their beauty, weather was nice, people are always nice. All's well, ends well for my part that is. The work is still to happen with him with his health.

I do not think this horse could have handled too long of a drive. Today's haul was just enough for him. Local. Once he was loaded, an hour at the most drive. I was very careful with him hauling. I always am though with all horses, always.

Good night!

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    Thank you so much for doing this! You are amazing, all of you.
    I'm glad I was able to help a little bit!!

BTW if you need the link to the Google spreadsheet and did not get it, PM me, Pony4Me or Noctis. Thanks again everyone!