The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Awesome! Great work, everybody!

OK. I have a message into the owner letting him know we have the money if we can pick him up thursday (When LaraAndSpeedy can get him), and I am waiting to hear back. We will also have a coggins and health certificate pulled on him once we get him. From there we will be able to get him to his new home I'm still coordinating his final destination, but assuming the seller gets back to me, we will be set. Once I have the confirmation from the seller I will post paypal information, but want to hear back for sure (as its definitely late, and I don't expect to hear back til tomorrow am)

3 members found this post helpful.

Y'all ROCK. I owe you mannie mannie BEERZ! G'night!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'm off too, I'll update in the AM, or as soon as I hear something

Just saw this thread...count me in for $50 towards vet/transport/rehab.

I'm not sure what the upshot is, is he going to a local foster or home? I'm really hoping he doesn't have to travel more than an hour or two in that horrible condition, poor guy.

I wish there was such a thing as a Walker rescue!!!!!!! The Thoroughbred, Morgan, Arabian, and Saddlebred folks all seem to have pretty good networks in place and are able to help at least some of the horses in need in those breeds, unfortunately, I don't think anything exists for Walkers or gaited horses in general.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

OK just tell me where to send the $.

You all have done all the hard work. I'll be off to barn at daylight, so can paypal this afternoon. All of you who did the calling and arranging and will be doing the hard labor are great!

Try to talk the guy into taking less. He'll think all us women will go higher. You have to reason with him and tell him the horse will go to a good home. Plus you need some of the money for coggins, etc.

Coth is acting hanky again so just in case it crashes like the other week, I'll PM my email and all to some of you.

The AC may or may not be able to help? WHy don't you find out!

I hate these threads. This guy will do it again and get away with it. I am beyond frustrated with you guys.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

1 members found this post helpful.

At least give his address, a copy of the receipt, and pictures to the AC to report him after the fact.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    The AC may or may not be able to help? WHy don't you find out!

I hate these threads. This guy will do it again and get away with it. I am beyond frustrated with you guys.
    Please don't post on the threads if you do not like what we are doing. I've been in animal rescue work since I was a kid and I know what works and what doesn't work with people. I also was a prosecutor for over 28 yrs and know that sometimes AC does nothing. Sometimes AC is great. But often AC just lets the animals slowly starve to death without seizing them. We have a great state agent in my area, and I call him about animal neglect and abuse. Where I used to live, AC just tried to kill everything. (And tried to get me into trouble for meddling to save animals, LOL, like the DA in Atlanta knew everything I was doing and let me do it.

The alternative to buying this horse is probably death for the horse.

18 members found this post helpful.

Please, whoever is coordinating the donation effort, PM me w/the info when it's time to do the PayPal thing. I don't have much, but can pitch in $20 to the cause.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

cloudyandcallie, will you guys report him now, with the evidence? you got the horse, right? I'm just asking to not let these people get away with starving an animal. If nothing is done, you have at least tried. If you never report it, the next horse in his hands might not be so lucky.

War veteran

I have $50 towards whatever also, I think perhaps it got missed. But that's ok. If he's coming here, I can put it towards some hay or something.

Looking forward to hearing more. Waradmiral and Noctis, I'm PMing my email and phone number. Pony4Me, do you know how to handle a re-feed? I'll send you email and phone number also so you can contact me if you need to. The first week of re-feeding is the most critical, and you can cause a lot of issues if you go too fast.

I would bet we could arrange a transport chain that would send him two to three hours over three days, and not keep him on a trailer too long over those days. On that note, if he wanted to go up to Sketcher for his permanent home, and she's comfortable taking an emaciated kind of guy, we might be able to do a chain that way too. Of course, we can worry about that when he's safe too.

Microbovine, you can be sure if he comes this way, every bit of documentation will be going to the local animal control, including pictures, vet reports, pick up address, and all that jazz. The most important thing is getting the horse out safe before he dies. I work full time in animal rescue. As much as you'd like to report first, take later, it is better for the animals if you get them out first. Most animal controls are notoriously slow, and more than one animal has died while animal control has rolled it's very slow wheel.

10 members found this post helpful.

Ditto the report when safe. IMO the report will inform and educate those that neglect and starve out of ignorance. And depending on the law, the report will monitor those that do so out of disregard and hopefully stop them.

But this thread is likely going to get back to anyone who is selling and it may make them gun shy. SO I agree. Report but keep it private and just part of the rescue and neglect prevention effort.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

As long as the butthead is reported, that's all that matters, really.

I did that with a donkey I didn't know I was buying until I got there and he was clearly on his last days. I turned over the information and thought it would go nowhere, but I was wrong. Not only did the evidence I gave the AC get them onto the property, (it was not visible from the public road so they had no authority to go down a private road and ''search" without a complaint, but they seized several animals and busted her for 100 monkeys she had in a trailer (no, I'm not joking). I didn't see the monkeys myself. The USDA is still up her butt about that one.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    cloudyandcallie, will you guys report him now, with the evidence? you got the horse, right? I'm just asking to not let these people get away with starving an animal. If nothing is done, you have at least tried. If you never report it, the next horse in his hands might not be so lucky.
    It sounds like the horse will not be picked up until Thurs May 23. If you notice nobody local is piping up and saying Hey AC in this area is great therefore we really should call AC before we get this horse out of here. Maybe there is a reason for that.
    At this point the horse is still in his possesion. We don't know if there are other horses, there are only undated photos. Nobody has from COTH has personally seen the horse. It will be easier to contact AC when you can tell them "Hey, just came from X's farm with this horse. A vet has seen the horse and the vet's assessment of the horse is XYZ. There are/are not other horses at the property in better/same/worse shape. Here are pictures of the horse that we picked up and the bill of sale. Please feel free to come see the condition of the horse yourself. He is currently at X address.
    Randomly calling AC based on on-line photos and no first hand information does not seem like the wisest course of action at this point. Be patient and wait until the horse is safe and make decisions based on the complete picture of what is going on at that farm.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Good morning! I guess I went to bed just before things heated up on this. Glad it's working out!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    Just saw this thread...count me in for $50 towards vet/transport/rehab.

I'm not sure what the upshot is, is he going to a local foster or home? I'm really hoping he doesn't have to travel more than an hour or two in that horrible condition, poor guy.

I wish there was such a thing as a Walker rescue!!!!!!! The Thoroughbred, Morgan, Arabian, and Saddlebred folks all seem to have pretty good networks in place and are able to help at least some of the horses in need in those breeds, unfortunately, I don't think anything exists for Walkers or gaited horses in general.
    Thanks! Walker Rescue seems to operate on a "Flashmob!" basis--just like this. When there's one in trouble, people turn out and do their best. In many ways, it's MORE effective than "rescue operations" that may be spending your donation money on indoor arenas, salaries, propaganda, or unsalvageable horses. When it's done this way, your dollars are going STRAIGHT to help the horse.

My little guy was seized by the state of Arkansas in a case just like this, rehabbed and started u/s by some lifetime Walker people who wanted to help, and I bought him to start that ball rolling. The result is one of the best horses I've owned in 40 years! There are many stories like this in Walker-land.

Update this AM is that we are still waiting to hear back from the seller. I've left him another message. We've got a place for him to go locally while we finalize a permanent home (we have several options, just trying to do legwork). So. Right now we kind of having a waiting game, with the pieces in place. I will update everyone (Or WarAdmiral will, my CoTH access is a little sketchy during the day) as soon as we have something

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post

On that note, if he wanted to go up to Sketcher for his permanent home, and she's comfortable taking an emaciated kind of guy, we might be able to do a chain that way too. Of course, we can worry about that when he's safe too.
    If he does not find a local home (which would be the best situation for him), I will pay to ship him to me in Mass if you guys can get him out of there and figure out where to stash him while transport is arranged. I'm afraid a commercial shipper would not take him. Maybe someone would do a marathon drive for the cost of gas? It looks like Nashville to Ma is about an 18 hour drive.

Noctis you have a pm from me.

Just now seeing this thread. Anybody have the ad, and a picture of the horse. Ad of course has been taken down.

I am local to the area. And I *do* gaited.

6 members found this post helpful.