The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HorseShine View Post
    The entire ad, including pics was copied & pasted on the FiSH forum. It does not look as if it is a screenshot though. I am not sure if that matters.
    Don't worry, we got it. Noctis has texted the owner & is waiting/hoping to hear back!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The thing that's odd is, his mane is combed out beautiful and silky, and he actually has a nice coat--leading me to believe he hasn't been neglected all that long. Take a good look at that half-crashed shack in the background, too; I'm betting this one could be financial.

Hey, I'd like to rip the guy/gal's head off, too, but we all know ignorance is the most common substance in the universe. Just beam 'im up, Scotty, and this owner's karma will probably take care of itself . . .

I've texted him, so hopefully he will text back, so we can hopefully get this fellow on the way to feeling a lot better.

1 members found this post helpful.

Keeping fingers crossed that the owner realizes what's best for this horse and allows him to have a soft landing with a COTHer.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    That's awesome! There MAY be a local-to-Nashville TWH person who can take him in - that came via Facebook. Just waiting for confirmation on that, and of course whether or not the horse is still available. Would that be OK with everybody?
    It would be best if the poor fella does not have to tolerate a long trailer ride for sure. Fingers crossed that a very well meaning person does not take him and turn him out to lush, green pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    OK once someone sends AC over there, the guy is going to get mad. If we can get the horse out cheaply, it is best. If not, then send AC over. BTDT. Once the guy gets ticked off at us, he won't do anything to let us get the horse.

OK, PM me and I'll check in morning before going to barn. If it's a go, I can paypal in morning or after I get back from barn in afternoon. Be nice to the seller. He can cut us off.

Well see? Obviously some of you have never dealt with people like some horse owners are. You have to be nice, you have to be non-judgmental, or he can keep the horse and starve it to death. It's not a matter of principle or who is right or wrong. I't's a mater of can we save this horse or not. Both sketcher has offered a home and arrows endure has offered a rescue place, so it's not like we don't have a place to send him. I forget the name of the Cother who went over in NC and negotiated a horse out of a bad situation, but she did it the right way for the horse to survive. She got the horse into shape and sold it. Good for her.
    Do you need a horse? The right thing for all horses is to get this guy reported. These online "rescues" do nothing to help the bigger issue. The AC will be completely unaware that this guy did this to this horse.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Don't worry, we got it. Noctis has texted the owner & is waiting/hoping to hear back!
    Excellent! Is there a trailer lined up? Post is up on FiSH asking for someone local to Nashville to haul him out. I am not a member of that forum -- they can be skeeerier than COTH. I lurk there quite a lot though.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Do you need a horse? The right thing for all horses is to get this guy reported. These online "rescues" do nothing to help the bigger issue. The AC will be completely unaware that this guy did this to this horse.
    There may not be any AC worthy of the name in that area. Also, usually the laws state that if there's feed or hay on the premises, they can't seize the horse. The big issue here is whether or not this owner is trying desperately to raise revenue via the sale of this horse--because anyone who knows anything knows it's a big enough project he'd be lucky to GIVE away. Could be more to this than meets the eye. Now--if there are MORE horses there that look like this, then it's time to get the law involved . . . but busting the owner isn't going to get this guy the kind of refeeding he needs.

3 members found this post helpful.

OK. He just texted me back, the horse IS still available, but he won't give me any information until "I tell him how much I can pay" So. I'm more than comfortable negotiating, and getting it down as low as possible, but I also don't know what I have to work with, since I personally can't kick in anything but my time.

Yay, thanks Noctis!!

Let's try to get a general idea of dollar amount we have at our disposal & then we can Paypal Noctis when she's ready to, er, "pull the trigger" (if that's not a bad choice of words, LOL).

I'm in for $50. Others??
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    What is your point? These "on-line" rescues do sometimes manage to save horses. The sad reality is that things do not always work the way you think they 'should' in a perfect world. That means that AC is not necessarily going to run in there and save this horse, in fact it seems in some parts of this country, you are lucky if you can even find an AC person let alone one who is willing and able to act. Are you more concerned with saving the horse or punishing the owner? Empathy for the horse or vindictiveness without knowing the details of the situation? If AC is in the ball, they could be provided with pictures of the horse and eye witness accounts after the horse is saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    OK. He just texted me back, the horse IS still available, but he won't give me any information until "I tell him how much I can pay" So. I'm more than comfortable negotiating, and getting it down as low as possible, but I also don't know what I have to work with, since I personally can't kick in anything but my time.
    Wow, he sounds like a prize. Make a good story. Tell him you have a teenage girl who fell in love with the photo and wants to feed him up and trail ride him but she is low on funds and is asking for gifts to be able to purchase him - tell him that so far she has $100 and you are not sure how much more she will get as she would also have to pay for shipping and vet... and ask him if he would take pity and $100 with the agreement to have him gone by the weekend and see what he says?

Rather working that angle, as I don't have to lie for any of it (my daugher saw the pictures and feels bad for him) and I'm a poor single mom.

Or - tell him you have $500 but want to see the horse first before agreeing in the price - then go with a trailer and offer him $100 - chances are he takes whatever he is offered if there is a little cash under his nose and he is not offended in the process. Clearly a delicate extraction...

This is very true. Right now the issue is that while I have a truck, I don't have a trailer available to run over and pick him up

OK. He's "got a guy coming tomorrow to see him who offered $250". He said he'd text me if he's still available after tomorrow or we can offer more.

Does he truly understand the horse's situation? Oftentimes when people are ignorant, elderly, or mentally ill they're not really "seeing" anymore what they're looking at. Perhaps you should come out and level with him that you're willing to take the horse to save his life, but it's unrealistic to expect to make $800 out of it.

Depending on what he says, at THAT point you might want to share with AC!

If you're not comfortable saying how much you can donate in public, feel free to PM Noctis or me and we'll just list you as "Anonymous" on here. Many thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Does he truly understand the horse's situation? Oftentimes when people are ignorant, elderly, or mentally ill they're not really "seeing" anymore what they're looking at. Perhaps you should come out and level with him that you're willing to take the horse to save his life, but it's unrealistic to expect to make $800 out of it.

Depending on what he says, at THAT point you might want to share with AC!
    I think it's pretty clear from what he has told Noctis that he will take considerably less than $800...

The guy is entertaining $250 (ie if the "buyer" comes tomorrow he'll take it), he knows he's not making much on this guy, not even trying for the $800. The question now is do we want to wait and see if he sells for $250 tomorrow, and I keep up with the guy, or try and offer more to know where he lands, since we have multiple homes (just need a way to transport, or lending of a trailer)

OK, so far we have:

Me - $50
    Anonymous 1 (who PM'd Noctis) - $100

Come on peeps, all we need is $200 to beat the other buyer's price! (And we do still need someone w/ a trailer.)