The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

It appears that seven of the children drowned in the basement of the school.
    Horrific.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Why did Sannois' posts disappear from this thread? (though cant say I'm not glad.... )
    I don't know, but they were quite ugly.

4 members found this post helpful.

More info on the devastation at the horse farm via Equus:

http://franjurga.sharedby.co/share/hfplzJ

Jenn may be dodging weather herself right now. But I'd love to hear if any of the volunteers with Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society were affected by all these storms. Jenn herself took a direct hit from a tornado a few years back.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

"Vann said that the farm is across the street from the elementary school that is being shown on the news tonight."

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Schools in areas that have large threats for tornados should have underground safe places for kids that are quickly and easily accessible. Yep, gonna cost a fortune, but what price do we put on the safety of kids?
    Problem with that is the ground in this area is not suitable for basements. Most of the time bathrooms are the areas that are reinforced for tornados but even then... :/ obviously doesnt always help.

Ive seen some storm shelters for horses on a few niiiiiiice ranches.....where are they? the bathrooms!!! All the stall doors swiveled around in just the right way so that they could put all the stallions in their own stalls in the boys restroom and then the girls restroom for the mares with a few oversized areas for mares and foals......
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

UPDATE: typing in Jenn's facebook post from my blackberry as we're losing connection through the main system again:

"Already got a notice from one of my BEHS response partners may be asking for our help in OK and I am sure I will get a request from another org. I am signed him up as a responder with." Fast typing/ autocorrect on her part I'm sure - and the BEHS volunteer network is posting replies organizing their response just as fast.

The BEHS network is very much the real deal, and they are dealing as fast as internet, daylight, and the storms bearing down on some of them will allow. Those who want to help out, you could do worse than enable the network already on the ground.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Jenn may be dodging weather herself right now. But I'd love to hear if any of the volunteers with Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society were affected by all these storms. Jenn herself took a direct hit from a tornado a few years back.
    Thanks for asking about us. We no longer have any volunteers/members in OK. We did have tornadoes near some of our members last week (the ones that hit Johnson and Hood Counties) but everyone was ok. We have one Texas member today who was watching some potentially scary weather (I've been watching some, too!).

For those who ask: in or out? for the horses - I say out. Our barn came down during Hurricane Ike (we lived near the coast then). We had evacuated but from the damage patterns it looked like it was a tornado spawned by the hurricane. If we had had horses in the barn, we would have lost some (they would have been crushed when the roof came down). Two years later, we had moved and had a small tornado or microblast hit us. As some of you remember, it threw a travel trailer into our bedroom wall, pushed horse trailers across the yard, and destroyed a shed and fencing. The horses were all out then, and all we had was one superficial scratch (that I cannot promise even came from the storm).

I do think it is a crapshoot with these really big storms, though. A mile wide tornado can destroy your barn and your pastures - no matter what you do.

My heart is heavy tonight for everyone affected. I'm waiting for the morning to see if our assistance is needed (I was put on standby by one of the groups I/BEHS volunteers with). This big focus for emergency responders tonight is going to be search and rescue and then recovery.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Praying for everyone affected by this horrible storm...extra prayers for those poor parents who had children at the elementary school.

What a tragedy. Praying for all.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Terrible. So Sad. And people ask how we Californians can live with the threat of earthquakes. My response always is that I'd rather live with the possibility (inevitable, yes, someday) of an earthquake than know that just about EVERY YEAR a tornado is going to rip through the vicinity.
    I totally get this. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in areas which can have such devastating weather related incidents.

My heart goes out to everyone dealing with the aftermath of this tragedy.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Just heard from a friend who knows and is in contact with a women who had a string of horses at the training farm the best she can tell there are only a handful maybe less alive. They lost their 10 and her personal horse.
    Last edited by Lynnwood; May. 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

In regards to Kathy, her farm is no where near Moore, rough estimate being 50-60 miles south of where the tornado came through, she she be just fine .

Celestial Acres is a training center (I used to work for a guy there) located right beside the Orr family farm. The Orr farm is a kind of family fun/hay ride type place. Funny, due to recent road construction they were sharing a driveway these last few months.
    Celestial is, or was I guess, a farm just like a real track, trainers rent stalls out, riders and grooms live in dorms on grounds. I was there just a week ago, very sad that was probably the last time... One barn at the back of the property is okay as well as the horses, thank heavens.

In its heyday Celestial was pretty cool, and though a little dilapidated recently, it was a nice place to spend the off seasons.

There is no worse feeling than seeing a tornado on the tv and knowing it is about to rip through a farm like that. Today has been a nightmare, and more storms predicated tomorrow.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

3 members found this post helpful.

Found this picture of a badly injured horse negotiating the rubble. So, so sad

http://weather.aol.com/2013/05/20/ph...ore-oklahoma/5
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Prayers for everyone affected by such a terrible thing.

Jingles for everyone involved.

More prayers for all affected by this and for the first responders

I have no idea what happened to Sannois vitriolic post. I did NOT contact the Mod's over it. Other may have (I have no clue if if anyone did or did not), but I did not about her post or her very stalkerish PM to me. Sannois post disappeared so fast I am guessing she herself chose to remove it??? Again, I had nothing to do with the removal of her post.

Greatly appreciate the Facebook links on the helping hands that are getting underway. Please keep this type info coming, so we know where/how to help.

No word of any tornados in Kathy's farm area. Just bad weather. So that is good news.

So sorry for your "friend of a friend" that lost horses at Orr farm. The losses there are going to be very financially crippling to so many, let alone the emotions attached to the losses. Again, so sorry.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

***The State of Oklahoma death toll count has been greatly lowered. When I typed my original post at midnight, it was via count information being given in a live interview by a very high State employee. I am greatly, greatly relieved the death toll count has been dramatically revised into a much lower toll of life. I honestly have to say I have no idea what the death toll is at this point. My countinued prayers & jingles for all impacted by this catastrophic event.
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 21, 2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: revised death toll count
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.