The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I was wondering how ppl/animals were faring out that way. tremendous jingles and sympathies to all affected by these storms.

I know nothing about tornados or architectural requirements--i would think that schools would either be tornado proof or have full basements??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Message on the Orr FB page:

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We are sorry we cannot reply to each of you at this time, as we are focusing on our staff, families and the Farm. We are physically alright, but we have sustained a large amount of damage at the Farm and adjacent properties. We are still assessing damage to both properties and animals. We will post more updates as they become available. For media inquiries, please contact Tony Vann, (405) 609-7068.

https://www.facebook.com/OrrFamilyFa...ocation=stream

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

This makes me feel sick to my stomach
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I can fully believe how holier than thou you are Sannois. Quite par for the course.

[B]When I tuned into the channel, the horse/farm issue was the only thing being shown/talked about. They were on it for a good 1/2 hour. They LATER started talking about the school, then even later about other devistation. I had NO knowledge or information about anything else until they cut away too it. And the moment I found out anything about human life I did immediately bring it up here.[/B]

I am sure you are not satisified, but those are the exact facts of the time line of events of what I actually knew & when.

Sannois, I lost respect for you here years ago. Rant away at me all you wish, but I could not speak to that which I did not know of. The live stream news was on the horse farm when I tuned in, so that is all I was informed of at THAT point.

And COTH being COTH, it must be horse related to post!
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

8 members found this post helpful.

Sannois- This tragedy is still evolving, and at the time ThisTooShallPass started the thread, destruction of those stables was one of the first stories to emerge. I don't think the scope of human loss was known a few hours ago. So tragic.

20 members found this post helpful.

Look, I think the more typical damage for a moderate threat tornado is the loss of horses and structures and maybe 1-2 people. Not knowing the full extent of the damage is also more likely when you are in the event. I know this from the fires we have here.

This thread when it started could not have know the damage which has trickled in for the last several hours. Please, it is utterly devastating and horrific. Prayers and peace for all affected. Maybe it is time for some red cross donations since those of us looking in cannot help those in need right now.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's a horse BB.
    So who are you to keep her from posting about these horses here?
    On FB horse people are coordinating possible places to take any surviving horses and haulers who are offering to help with transport.
    I guess those efforts are not to your liking. Sheesh.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just popped up on my Facebook -

THERE IS AN EMERGENCY IN OKLAHOMA CITY, OK. THIS IS THE INFO WE HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR..... For anyone in Oklahoma, please share out the information about Orr Farms. Moore, Ok is the scene of terrible devastation right now. Horses in shock, some killed, many injured. If anyone is nearby, I hope you can help.
    Animal friends in Oklahoma or simply close. Please post out and share.
    Cheri White Owl-Nguyen
    Orr Family Farms hit. 75-100
    Horses killed and many injured. Cant get internet up at house.
    14400 S. Western, Oklahoma City OK 73170 405-799-3276.
    THEY NEED ANY HELP IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA OR KNOW SOMEONE THERE PLEASE SEE IF THEY CAN ASSIST!! PLEASE share this out! THANK YOU and prayers going out to everyone there.....more details as we get them

Tears for all that have lost their lives and both human and animal. Prayers for those who have survived and have to live with the loss. This is a tragedy for all involved.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm worrying terribly about Kathy St. Martin and Jos as well. I emailed her this a.m. after the bad tornados went through their way yesterday with hopes and prayers for them today.

Have had no response yet.

Those that hit today were worse...and more expected over the next 5 or 6 days, I hear on the news. I hope that is not the case and they are just fear mongering.

To just learn that 24 3rd graders when to their "safe place"in their school and were all likely killed just breaks my heart.

If anyone hears from Kathy, please post. She's one of the best people on the planet and a COTH best.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Kathy is in Denver. Her daughter had a baby today.
    Kathy St Martin is in Denver enjoying a much happier scenario.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

2 members found this post helpful.

Isn't Kathy in Denver becoming a grandmother? Not sure about Jos. Hope they and their place is ok. I just spoke to my aunt in Grove, Ok, and her place is fine, and my grandmother in Tulsa only saw some rain. Sure hope our COTHers fare as well as they have!!And in the meantime, my thoughts, prayers, jingles and anything else I can muster go out to those that have been effected, be they 2 legged or 4.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Kathy is in Denver. Her daughter had a baby today.
    Thank you for that. Is Jos OK?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thank you all for info on the horse farm. It is nice to have a source such as CoTH to get news such as this and keep us informed about horse news. CNN is doing a good job of reporting on people, and keeping up with the latest on the Plaza Towers Elementary School. It is sad for all the creatures, human and animal who are suffering, and for those people such as the Orr family and workers who are losing their livelihood.

For those of you who do not care about horse-related news in this tragedy, I really don't understand why you are wasting your time reading a horse-related news thread instead of concentrating on the issues you deem worthy, not to mention, wasting even more time writing judgmental comments.

Commenting on one kind of tragedy does not negate other suffering. Recognizing the suffering of innocent animals does not negate the suffering of humans, just as commenting on the horror of those elementary school children who are trapped and missing does not mean one is insensitive or uncaring about the suffering of the adults who have been injured or killed in this tornado.

I DO want to know what has happened with the horses, pets, and livestock. I may want to know about property losses as well, and I will find the proper news outlet for that info. I might even want to know some stats about the scope of the tornado and related weather, which will probably entail an internet trip to a weather site. One thing is sure, I will not get on the Comments on the wunderground.com and chastise readers for caring more about weather than people.

16 members found this post helpful.

Why did Sannois' posts disappear from this thread? (though cant say I'm not glad.... )
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 members found this post helpful.

They are now reporting 51 deaths so far

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-20130520-2052
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Thank you for that. Is Jos OK?
    I'm not sure. I would text Autumn but I don't want to bother the new mom and all
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

This so terrible. Poor people, poor horses. Jingles and prayers to all affected and the missing.

Link to the FB page on which they are coordinating for help:

https://www.facebook.com/events/594499843907888/

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Thank you all for info on the horse farm. It is nice to have a source such as CoTH to get news such as this and keep us informed about horse news. CNN is doing a good job of reporting on people, and keeping up with the latest on the Plaza Towers Elementary School. It is sad for all the creatures, human and animal who are suffering, and for those people such as the Orr family and workers who are losing their livelihood.

For those of you who do not care about horse-related news in this tragedy, I really don't understand why you are wasting your time reading a horse-related news thread instead of concentrating on the issues you deem worthy, not to mention, wasting even more time writing judgmental comments.

Commenting on one kind of tragedy does not negate other suffering. Recognizing the suffering of innocent animals does not negate the suffering of humans, just as commenting on the horror of those elementary school children who are trapped and missing does not mean one is insensitive or uncaring about the suffering of the adults who have been injured or killed in this tornado.

I DO want to know what has happened with the horses, pets, and livestock. I may want to know about property losses as well, and I will find the proper news outlet for that info. I might even want to know some stats about the scope of the tornado and related weather, which will probably entail an internet trip to a weather site. One thing is sure, I will not get on the Comments on the wunderground.com and chastise readers for caring more about weather than people.
    THIS! For many of us, our farms and horses are our lives and something like this is our worst nightmare; all too easy to imagine ourselves in these people's shoes. We want to find out what happened, to give support, possibly to learn from it, maybe just to say "There but for the the grace of God go I."

If that gives you a problem, go watch CNN and naff off!

6 members found this post helpful.